Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Extreme Separation Anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by k9friend
    Yes! Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! This dog needs a job and needs to be worn out daily.
    THIS dog has heartworm and isn't able to be excited until quite awhile AFTER his treatment or he will have a heart attack and die and Val just lost a beloved dog a short time ago and can't go thru that again.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I realize that, but I hope the dog doesn't over-work its heart just by going crazy at home. There has to be a recommendation by a vet. That is a difficult predicament. Maybe some K9 calm homeopathic-type remedy for the time being, or maybe some melatonin until the heart is healed thoroughly? Can't the dog be walked without letting it run?

I'm just concerned that the key part of the puzzle is being missed that he has heartworm and is on treatment and can't be delibertly exercised.
    I understand that the SA makes him excited so this really puts Val b/n a rock and a hard place and I don't envy her!
    I've never had a dog with HW so this is definitly a "special case".
    I hope Dasher is doing better Val.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Chica has separation anxiety also.She is almost 3 years old. She has torn up the carpet also, trying to get out of the bedroom, to look for me. So I never let her stay alone in the house anywhere except the kitchen.I have a safe place in the kitchen with no carpet, only tile flooring. Entrances to kitchen are gated. doors to pots and pans etc., are safety latched. She has her bed, food and water.Don't make it a big deal ever, when you leave the house! And when you return, don't make a big fuss! Just let the dog out of the room, and take her or him for a walk.

TOTALY aggree with lots of excersize! Remember excersizing your dog doesnt necessarily mean play fetch or run lots....take a nice steady paced walk, maybe a couple times a day for like half hour or so, trust me im sure you'll notice a change!! I personally dont like the metal cages, sometimes they can jiggle the latch and get out or get like a foot caught in between the bars..i really like the crate, you can get them at wal-mart, their alot cheaper there then like petco or petsmart! It's just a travel crate, but big enough to stand, lye down and turn around! cainan isnt a big fan of them, in the middle of the night and in the morning i always here him trying to dig his way out and chew on the metal door...but he's safe from hurting himself and possibly breaking out! i've never heard of a dog getting out of one of those...unless the door isnt latched all the way or the screws the hold the bottom and top together are on tightly! but anyways, good luck!!

When I made this thread, I forgot to state that I was aware the lack of exercise could be playing a factor in this. Until I'm sure he is 100 % cured of his heartworms, I can't pursue that. I'm working with him on small things like carrying my keys around at times, putting on shoes and not leaving. I also have a Kong that I give him when I leave, even though mom is home. I also don't greet him when I do get home. It's hard but I know that's important, as well as not making a big deal when I leave. I've got the Rescue Remedy stuff also. I did give him a bit but it seemed to make him pant more so I don't want to use it any more until I talk to the vet. As for the crate, I don't see how a plastic one can contain him if a metal one can't. I'll be keeping him in our bathroom with the understanding of possibly more damage. At least I know how to approach that now.
    ETA: He chews and bites, so plastic would be useless.
    Last edited by dukedogsmom; 01-10-2007 at 04:44 PM.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    When I made this thread, I forgot to state that I was aware the lack of exercise could be playing a factor in this. Until I'm sure he is 100 % cured of his heartworms, I can't pursue that. I'm working with him on small things like carrying my keys around at times, putting on shoes and not leaving. I also have a Kong that I give him when I leave, even though mom is home. I also don't greet him when I do get home. It's hard but I know that's important, as well as not making a big deal when I leave. I've got the Rescue Remedy stuff also. I did give him a bit but it seemed to make him pant more so I don't want to use it any more until I talk to the vet. As for the crate, I don't see how a plastic one can contain him if a metal one can't. I'll be keeping him in our bathroom with the understanding of possibly more damage. At least I know how to approach that now.
    well you did state that he bends the bars....well with the plastic ones there's nothing to bend! sure if bends a little if they lean on it but i then just goes right back into place...containing them more! i have all 3 of mine in them and i wouldnt recomend any different! worth a shot...if im wrong about urs then im wrong! but were just here for helpful tips and recommendations!

Oh Val, Poor Dasher, so many changes all at once for him!

I don't know anything about heartworm treatment. When you say no exercise until after that is all healed up, are we talking 2 weeks, 2 months? I have no idea what is involved.

I think the vet may have some suggestions and may be a good resource. Even the folks who wok there and answer the phone. Lots of them have pets themselves, and working where they do, they have ideas and suggestions.

I loved to read about the things you are doing, putting on your shoes to sit and watch TV, hoohoo!!! High heels, naturally, right?!!

Best wishes, let us know how things progress!
    Sandra

Freedom, it's for six weeks. All I can do is take him out to potty and that's it. I let him fetch just a few times last night because he loves it so much but I can't even do that after this treatment. There are two shots administered near the spine and from what I've read about it, they start killing the worms immediately. Then, the dead worms have to be filtered through the heart and lungs. That's why it's so important to keep him calm. I'm so glad that I work nights so I can be there for him when mom is gone. I'm not going to work too much on the SA while he's that sick. I do want to talk to the vet on Friday, though. He's young but is very knowlegable. I know he'll have some good suggestions on how to help Dasher through all this.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I'm glad you aren't listening to the advice to exercise. That would be disasterous. I agree that a good talk with your vet is in order. In this case, you might want to consider a tranqualizer until the heartworms are gone and you can begin an exercise program. However, a tranqualizer also might stress the heart, so have a good talk with your doctor. The extreme stress the dog is under when you leave is also a concern (as you know), and your vet will need to know this to help you develop a good plan for you and Dasher. You're being a good mom!
    MACH Aslan RE, MX, MXJ, EAC, EJC, OCC, Wv-N, TN-N, TG-N, R-SN, J-SN, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (five year old sheltie)
    Jericho OA, NAJ, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (three year old sheltie)
    Laika NAJ, CGC (nine year old retired American Eskimo)

I've been defrosted.

In pure honesty, I really believe crates act more like band-aids than training aids when dealing with SA. I speak from experience only so your pup might be different, but, in my experience, dogs with SA tend to react more when confined to a crate. It might not be the case with your pup, but being confined to a small space when all you want is OUT can result in a mangled crate and a possibly injured pup =/

Obviously, exercising isn't an option now but once he recovers from the treatment, I'm sure things will get better In the meantime, how about mental exercise? You could try teaching him to retrieve certain objects. I knew a Dane who knew how to differentiate objects by name and retrieved them for his owner. It's a greyt way to work their brains!

Time flies when you're having fun. Six weeks will be up before you know it. Then, of course, you know to start out slow with the exercise.

I thought about you and Dasher most of the night! He isn't the first dog to be put on "bed rest" and get bored, so there has to be ideas out there. I still think the vet is a good first start. I empathize with Dasher. At age 28 I got pneumonia and spent 9 weeks out of work and on bed rest. I was SO bored! Solitaire, cross words and word finders only kept me occupied for just so long!

I was wondering about a few things. First you know how at Thanksgiving we hear about the trypto . . . . (I can't remember the word) which is in turkey and makes us sleepy? Could you give him 2 or 3 slices of turkey about 15 minutes before you leave him, so he will be dozing? Not the sliced deli turkey as all that stuff is high in salt and probably not good (or ask the vet). But turkey breast.

If your back yard is enclosed, could you do a few games out there. I thought about "seek and find." Before he goes out, you put a few little piles of kibble here and there. Just 5 pieces or so. Once he is outside, he wanders about looking for the piles. Once he gets the hang of it, put them somewhere different. He is just walking about, not running or excited. Only problem I thought of is the time of year; what do you do to keep warm while he is sauntering about.

And I am not familiar with the "stuffed Kong" someone mentioned. But that or some other toy(s) that he ONLY gets while he is alone. So it is something new to keep his attention.

Best wishes!
    Sandra