Thread: I want another rat...

I want another rat...

I've been giving it alot of thought and I think Winkie might like a friend. I'd LIKE to get him a spayed female. But I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions?

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Hey Donna go to the internet & type in Pet Finder.. Then for pet selection of small animals or I think you can type in Rat.. Then put in you zip code & all the babies up for adoption will be listed.. This is a great & trusting web site of all the rescues & babies out there needing homes.. Or you could go to your nearest Pet Store.. Good Luck & let us know ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

spaying a female rat is a very big risk so I doubt there will be any spayed females available. You could consider spaying your guy or just get another male....
    "Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this"

I was going to suggest maybe have Winkie neautered, You will find it very hard to find a spayed girl its normally the boys that get done because its less risky.

How long has he been alone? Male rats can be harder to introduce to each other, I found that out

Ive been told that getting 2 babies sometimes helps with the introductions that way the babies can play with each other rather than bugging the older rat to play.

www.fancy-rats.co.uk is my rat bible, so many people on there and they are truely dedicated rat owners they helped me so much. I think the forum is down for a while but it will be up and running soon.

If you want a female then maybe neutering your boy would be best although if you got a girl and got her spayed then you would be lowering her chances of getting mammory (sp?) tumours. Good luck with what ever you decide. My 'rat Bible' (stealing your word muddy4paws) is www.goosemoose.com

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Winkie has been with me for almost a year. I rescued him from Petco when they were gonna sell him as a feeder. I was appalled. I brought him home and I adore him!!

I just thought he might be lonely. I try to let him run around all I can when I'm home. His *ahem* testicles are quite large and I thought about having him neutered. But since his life span is so short I figured why bother.

I'd LOOOOOOVE a couple of baldies. I have a thing for pets without fur.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

I didn't know you could spay/neuter rats!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Yep its becoming more popular especially with the health benefits!

Well try finding some young nekkid rats then! What I would do for another rat...a hairless rat. *dreams*

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters

Aw Donna, that would be so cute if Winkie had a friend. I know you have to have quite a lot of time on your hands to keep a single rattie happy.

I've only ever seen one (neutered) male and a female kept as pair, and I must say that poor bloke looked a bit hen-pecked! Male and female rats have pretty different personalities, to generalise them; females are an awful lot more active and on their toes whereas the males can be more laid back (heh, the same in all species! ). I know Flossie would be hell for a calm rattie to live with, she is boistrous like no other and would want to play chase and pin-me-down for a good 23 hours of the day! Tia was never so, but then Tia was aggressive to her own kind, so her playfulness did not come out in the same way.

As far as neutering goes, I wouldn't reccommend it on small creatures. It is unnecessary strain on a tiny heart, even though many small animal operations are successful these days. Spaying is more intravenous, which in turn equals more stress, but the positive of that is you lessen considerably the chances of mammary and pituatary tumours, and well, I know how mch heartache they cause... whether, if it was my decision, I'd spay Flossie, I cannot be sure. It's weighing up risks, really.

Winkie would probably do best with two younger male partner, as Holly said, adults can be difficult to get together, and with two little ones who already know each other, Winkie will be bound to want to join up with them! Of course, that does mean taking on three rats, but then again who can resist their sweet little faces

Zimbabwe 07/13

Thanks for all the great advice!! I'm going to wait. Next time, I'll get a pair of babies.

I found something on Petfinder. A Connecticut resident released over 200 domesticated rats down by the river. I left my name and number so I can possibly get a buddy for Winkie.

If you are still looking, then maybe you better change "filled to the brim!! " with, er, a smidgen of an opening?

I had posted about those ratties on Pet Rescue a few weeks back. The city was shooting them! A rabbit rescue group was trying to save them.

According to the Petfinder update, they've caught almost 200 of them. If I can give one of those babies a buddie in Winkie, I'll do it!!

Oh that would be great if you could! I feel so sorry for those rats and I would love to know that another one went to a good home <3 Extra Good luck!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters