Thread: Shelter hit by feline distemper - very sad

Shelter hit by feline distemper - very sad

Calgary shelter considers killing 100-plus diseased cats

CALGARY (mytelus.com) - A deadly outbreak of feline distemper has forced the Calgary Humane Society to consider the unthinkable, euthanizing more than 100 cats at its shelter.
    Shelter spokeswoman Cheryl Wallach said that may be the only way to save unaffected cats and stop the march of the deadly disease that slowly kills its victims by attacking their lungs.

Wallach told CHQR Radio this is one of the worst outbreaks she has ever seen, and that it has also forced officials to close the shelter to incoming animals indefinitely.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Feline Panleukopenia, aka Feline Distemper, is a deadly virus that can wipe out a shelter in a nano-second. They HAD to close the shelter down because this virus stays airborne for up to a year. The only thing that can kill it is Clorox Bleach. Not the cheap stuff, or generic/other brands, but Clorox. Every inch of that shelter will have to be scrubbed down. All cat toys, scratchers, ANYTHING that was in the shelter near the cats will have to be disgarded.

It's very sad, because it only takes ONE cat that has it to wipe out en entire shelter, as it did there.

RIP little kits. I'm sorry your life was cut so short by such a deadly virus. But be happy at the Rainbow Bridge.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I have had two sad experiences with distemper. One back in 1996, when it hit a feral colony we were working on trapping and neutering. One tuxedo kitten(about 4 mos old) survived. Tina Peepers is now 9 yrs old and a sweet girl!!!
    The other experience was with sweet 6 week old kitten that we adopted from the shelter on 9/10/03. Tiny Sylvia died today. We had her only for 2 days. I have a post for her on the Memorial section.
    I understand the Spring and Fall are the worse times for distemper. This is very sad. Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Poor kitties.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Shelter spokeswoman Cheryl Wallach said that may be the only way to save unaffected cats and stop the march of the deadly disease that slowly kills its victims by attacking their lungs.
    I wonder who wrote this misinformed article? Actually panleukopenia attacks the gastro-intestinal tract...not the lungs. I've had distemper hit here a few times with fresh rescued kittens, and it's so devastating. It doesn't always kill off the whole cat group however. Many are capable of fighting off the viral attack with supportive therapy, and are immune for life once the virus has been shed from their systems.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

That's too sad that the info was reported wrong. Thus giving those of us who don't know the wrong information. Last report was that 82 kitties had to be put down. I keep searching for updates but haven't found any.

RIP sweet kitties, you didn't ask for this.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I had an outbreak of Distemper in my apartment in Wethersfield, CT. I rescued 3 kittens. One died in my arms waiting for the vet. The other 2 died shortly thereafter. I closed my spare bedroom down to ALL my cats for a year after completely scrubbing it with Clorox Bleach (ruined the carpeting but I didn't care)

I was devastated and felt so helpless that I couldn't do anything for them.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!