Thread: Luna almost hurt Lily's eyes!!!

Luna almost hurt Lily's eyes!!!

Witnessed something today that worries me now.

Luna was sleeping, and Lily came to her and laid down next to her and gave her headbumpies. She often does that when she wants to get her face licked by Luna. As usual, Luna did what Lily wanted, and licked her face. After a while, Lily licked Luna's face back. So far, this is not unusual, I often see this happen.

But today, Luna didn't want to have her face licked by Lily. She whacked her, right into her face, and she had her claws out. It looked like she aimed at her eyes, but Lily closed her eyes, and nothing happened. After a while, Lily started licking Luna again, and Luna got angry about that and hit her again. This time, I was sure she hit Lily's eye, but she had closed the lid quick enough, and when she opened her eyes again, I saw she was alright.

But I'm worried. It's usually in the afternoon that Lily wants to cuddle with Luna, and that's a time of the day when I'm still at work. Now I'm worried that this is Luna's usual way to end the cuddle session, and I fear that she may hurt Lily one day...

Kirsten

Thats scary as those claws could do a lot of damage.
    But I think that Lily is experienced enough that she will not be caught by surprise but we pary that the unexpected does not happen one day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

But I think that Lily is experienced enough that she will not be caught by surprise
    Gary, I hope you are right!!

Kirsten

Kirsten, I think it's time you clip her nails! Years ago, I thought I'd never be able to clip Fister's, but now it's a piece of cake. Try one or two at a time - and get the right scissor.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Luna almost hurt Lily's eye

This seems so out of character for Luna and I'm really surprised to hear this. Your girls get along so nicely. I hope there's nothing serious going on here, could it be that Luna might have been in an off mood?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Near Seattle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Sometimes Norbert will take a swipe at someone and I too think there will be damage, but nothing more than a bruised ego comes of it. Pippin is the toughest....he can take some swats and he can dish them out. Usually he wins the swat contests and the others give up.
    Hopefully Lily is savvy enough to get out of the way when Luna gets in a mood. Usually they seem to get along so well. Hope Luna is feeling OK.
    Tiger, Percy, Antoinette, Scooter,Norbert,Willy, Pippin
    www.tribeof7.com

I trim nails every Saturday around here for just that reason. (No, not every nail needs clipping every week, but I have enough of them . . . . )

The one time I missed, Vita smacked Sparkle and scratched the cornea. It all healed fine; but it is a painful thing, not to mention a trip to the ER vet.

Maybe it is time for some soft paws?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Hopefully this behavior won't continue. Mine will also do this. They start out by being sweet and licking each other and before I know it they're smacking each other with their paws and biting each other. It's usually just rough play but sometimes I will break it up. I also try to trim my cats nails regularly. Storm and Sky won't let me so they both have to go to the groomers to have their nails trimmed.

I also hope that this won't continue! I think it wasn't an act of aggression, I guess it's only Luna's way to tell her that she had enough. She's also pawing at my hand when I'm petting her, and she doesn't want it.

As for the nail trimming, I'm already doing that from time to time. Luna's claws are growing too long, and then she has problems walking on carpets or blankets, that's why I started to trim her claws. Most of the time it works without too much protest from her. But you're right, I have to do that more often now, to protect Lily. I already did it this evening, and she accepted it.

Kirsten