Thread: It is confirmed, a torn cruciate HELP

It is confirmed, a torn cruciate HELP

Well Raustyk's limping has not gone away so off to the white coats, & yup a torn cruciate in her other leg. (she had one repaired in her other leg 3 years ago, almost exactly just a month shy). My vet is willing to work out a payment plan but I can not even afford that as they want $500 to $1000 down (depending on what surgical procedure I want). The total cost will be between about $1500-$4000. I feel so so so bad. My finances are so limited it is unbelievable & I owe on some past due bills that are necasary like heat & electric, I even had my cable turned off. I can afford it when my taxes come back but that will be AT LEAST 3-4 months. With all cruciates, arthritis sets in so the sooner its repaired the better so she will have quite an accumilation of arthritis by then. I feel so bad. Am I a bad owner? She is not overweight which helps some & I am limiting her excersize (which is hard to do). Unfortunatly I can not borrow money from anyone. Just want ot know if anyone else out there has waited that long to have a cruciate repair done?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Yes! My Cody had both knees done, 6months apart. Once they tear an ACL in one knee, more than likely, due to the weight pressure on the other knee, that'll have to be done too. Jackie and I were just discussing the price, and each knee was $1000 , including anesthsia, meds, overnight and follow up visits. Not to make you feel worse, but altho your dog may not yelp, it's a very painful condition. Altho Cody lost almost 30 pds after the first procedure and kept the weight off (my fault) he originally tore it slipping on the floor running to the door, so weight doesn't help but not always a factor. It's the most common orthopedic dog surgery. I feel awful that you're in such a precarious position due to finances. Yes, Cody had hip dysplsia anyway and did develop some arthritis in his right knee in particular, but aspirin and Cosequin helped immensely. If your vet is nice enough to do payment plans, and some aren't, it would behoove you to make arrangements for the much needed surgery, or your dog will be permanently disabled. I feel for you and am not making judgements on your character, but I would have cut off my arm if I could have saved Cody from cancer.

I've been Boooo'd!

Thanks Karen, yes I am aware it is very painful but there is no way I can afford it @ the moment, I have & am still trying to come up w/ $$$! She had the other leg done a few years ago & I used to be a vet tech so I know the procedure, consenquences etc... I know it should be done asap, I am about to cut off my own arm! This is driving me nuts. She is on etogesic (kind of like cosequin but safer) she is also on a bunch of supplemets, her weight is perfect as I have to keep it that way as her other leg & she has permanant fractures in her front leg. my vet is willing to work out a payment plan but they want $500 down I can not afford it. You see after a terrible 6 year relationship w/ my ex that ended just a few months ago, well he emptied out my bank account & also withdrew $1000 that was not there! Also I am behind on my electric bills & heat bills. I even shut off my cable & only have local service on phone. I am trying to cut corneres every way possible!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I am So sorry! What a predicament! I wish I'd win the lottery or something so I could help you! I know you feel awful It's so hard to keep 'em quiet too!! I'll be thinking about you. Good luck!

I've been Boooo'd!