7 25.93%
  • I have neither

3 11.11%
  • I have something else that I use...

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate, kennel??

Crate, kennel??

Do you find it useful to have both a crate AND a kennel? Or do you think it's pointless to have both?

Just wondering if I should buy both for the cata pup...Two more years to go, but I'm so excited! I figure if I prepare myself, when I buy the puppy not only will I be completely ready, but it won't seem like that much money was spent. Lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

When I am home, they roam free in the house. At night, the dogs have their own room with crates that they sleep in. During the day when I am at work, Teddy (pom) stays in a pen in the kitchen, the big dogs stay in a kennel in the backyard. I used to let them roam free in the backyard, but my neighbor is psycho.

we dont have neither, lol

Are you talking about a wire kennel versus a travelling crate? Or do you mean kennel like a fenced in little area?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by aly
    Are you talking about a wire kennel versus a travelling crate? Or do you mean kennel like a fenced in little area?
    Well, I'm under the impression that this is a kennel:

And this is a crate:

And that the kennel is usually used for travelling and are usually smaller. That's what I was told atleast...
    I've been BOO'd!

Hmm, for you new dog. I would try this I think it would be better.

Yeah, that's what I want. If I were to choose between them, I'd choose that.

I saw this great one at Petcetera. It was like a tent. It was material and it zipped and stuff, but I'd be afraid the puppy would chew out of it. But I want it! lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

lol! That sounds cute!! a tent for dogs!

When Tasha was young I used a crate. It's dark/cave-like and she often went in there to sleep of her own choice.

Now I have an exercise pen (aka ex-pen) set up in a room with blankets that the dogs sleep in. There's plenty of room and the dogs will often go in there and go to bed whether the door is open or closed. They seem to like having their own little area that is just for them and it gives them the feeling and security of a "den."

Of course, if my husband is out of town for whatever reason, Tasha always sleeps with me and sometimes Tommy joins in the fun too
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

We have a crate for Kai. When I have the money, I'll buy Kaedyn a crate and then a roomy plastic kennel for travelling around. I think it'd be pretty useful to have both. You could have a plastic one set aside for any emergency situations for your pup.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I just call them both crates, but one a wire crate. Anywho....going by your descriptions I have a kennel. Not that I use it anymore. But it is nice to have.

a kennel and a crate are the same thing, just different terms, sometimes I call them kennels, some times I call them crates. what you posted are a plastic kennel/crate and a wire kennel/crate. both can be used for traveling, but a plastic crate is best for travel because they are more enclosed, and sturdier. a wire crate is not hard to break out of, and most dogs can easily pick the lock on a wire crate. I would say the a plastic crate is better and safer. they are enclosed, and much more denlike. I have both and all my dogs love the plastic crates so much more then the wire one. and the wire one is really heavy and akword,and just plain a pain in the butt, I suggest the plastic ones, and no way I would ever suggest a wire crate
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

This is what I have set up for my two pups. The ex-pen can be folded up and transported really easily too. It's very handy and I think perfect for more than one dog since mine tend to like to curl up close to each other when they sleep.

Tasha is really confused as to what I'm up to.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I use the terms kennel and crate interchangably so thats why I was confused.

I have one large wire crate and about 15 travelling kennels of all sizes (most from the shelter since I foster a lot). My dogs aren't crated anymore but the kennels and crate come in handy for all the fosters. Some dogs are better in the wire when they can see out and others like the crate because its darker.

I personally like having several options to choose from.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

We have 3 wire crates...two set-up that fold down very easily, are very transportable and that our dogs have never broken out of (although my friend's GSD got out of one of them). The third I have never set up, but it was given to us about a week ago and is still intheback of my truck)