Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did your dog/dogs get their name??

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

How did your dog/dogs get their name??

The PT pups must have been feeling left out, since there was a thread about this for the kitties.........

Myndi: She came to me at 10 months and her previous owner had named her Mindy. Since she already knew her name I decided to keep it and put my own twist to it and change the spelling to Myndi.. She also had AKC papers that were never filed, so I gave her the full name of Myndi Jo Kong when I filed them - Jo being part of her mother's name and Kong being part of her father's name.

Sparky: It just matched his personality. He was a bright little flash of energy and light.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Layla was named from the Eric Clapton song 'Layla'.

Jake was named from the Pirates of the Mississippi song 'Feed Jake'.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Jadie came to us at the age of 2 years (and almost 2 months) and was already named Jadie. She knew her name and I thought it was adorable... She's our little Jadie Lady.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Zoee's original name was Bonnee and we were not keeping that name for her, just didn't fit. So I went to the computer and looked up names. First it was Cali we decided on. Then I asked my boyfriend if I should finish the alphabet and he said sure. So we had Cali, Sophie and finally Zoee. Zoee worked and after we figured out how to spell it we didn't even realize we stuck with the breeders theme of double E's in the names. Zoee's litter was named with double E names.

Taggart got his name at the shelter. I liked it so we kept it. That's not exciting, but that's how it is.
    Someone at the shelter told me Taggart is a British TV show kind of like the American show Magnum PI. I thought that was cool too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

When we first got Clover we took her to the pet store to get her a collar, leash etc. I took her outside to pee and she immediately started eating Clovers. I laughed and said maybe we should name her Clover. We didn't really think about it again until after. I think originally we were going to name Clover "Bailey" but felt it was too common. My dad suggested Shamrock or Shammy which got us back to Clover.

When I got Zeke in high school I was watching a show called "Tour of Duty". It had a character I liked named Zeke. I thought it was a cool name so I picked it for my boy

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Mikey came with his name at 2 years old. I am not really one for human names, but it works for us. He already knew it and it DOES fit him...especially when he's bad..."MICHAEL" or just for short..."Mike".

ANNIE: She was a year old stray who came to the house six years ago and we kept her. She looked pitiful--all skinny, shy, and covered with ticks. I thought... poor dog has been thrown away.. she's an orphan... and she's female and I named her Annie for Little Orphan Annie.

LilGirl: First I named her Rosie which is on her file at the vets. However, I had trouble remembering her name LOL and Little Girl just came more natural to me. She's little and a girl. She has other names such as Baby Girl, Sweetie, Lucy but most of the time she's LilGirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Someone at the shelter told me Taggart is a British TV show kind of like the American show Magnum PI. I thought that was cool too.
    Haha, that's the reason my Taggart got his name. Because the tv-show was on the second or third night he spent at my place so it was one of the names I tried calling him and it stuck. I had no idea what his original name was, so I went through several ones; Kazuya, Sofus, Bobby and Sparrow are the ones I still remember I really wanted Kazuya to stick (it's a favourite video game character of mine) but nope, he was a Taggart! haha

Maggy:For some reason i wanted to call her Sasha,and that is what her name was for a matter of 20 minutes.My husband looked at her and said "Maggy" her ears perked and she barked at him.So Maggy it was!
    Lacy:I was back and forth to see Lacy since she was about 3 weeks of age.I had chose Lexi,Jenny or Lacy.Lacy just stuck.
    Molly:We got Molly at 6 months old.Her name was Crystal.I didn't like the name,Molly just suited her better.
    Doc:I had not part in naming him,Although i had a few names in mind.My husband named him,They are the only men in the house LOL So I let him name him.

Mine already had her name when she was given to us at 2 yrs old and I thought it suited her well so just kept it.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Of the dogs we had growing up, Sheba was named before I spoke English, so I don't know how she got her name. Freckles (Saint Bernard) had a charming smattering of freckles on her face, and lots more on her tummy and feet, so that fit! And Gracie, well, she was such a klutz, we thought maybe naming her "Grace" might help ... nope! She did gain somewhat more control over those long Great Dane legs when she finally stopped growing, but would still wipe out making sharp turns at full speed sometimes!
    I've Been Frosted

name

Heidi had already been named by the people we bought her from,we were told we could change it but we liked the name and stuck with it.
    thanks very much devon. I have been boo'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Varga View Post
    Haha, that's the reason my Taggart got his name. Because the tv-show was on the second or third night he spent at my place so it was one of the names I tried calling him and it stuck. I had no idea what his original name was, so I went through several ones; Kazuya, Sofus, Bobby and Sparrow are the ones I still remember I really wanted Kazuya to stick (it's a favourite video game character of mine) but nope, he was a Taggart! haha
    I thought of you and wondered if this was how your Taggart was also named. Too funny!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Mine already had her name when she was given to us at 2 yrs old and I thought it suited her well so just kept it.
    What's her name?
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Lily is actually named TigerLily Princess, but she goes by Lily for short. She's named after the Princess TigerLily from Peter Pan. I wanted to stick with a Peter Pan theme and do something in tribute to Tink (the Pom we had before Lily who died at a young age), so that's where that came from .

Brennan was already named when we adopted him; however, it reminded me of Brennan from the TV show Bones (which is one of my favorites), so I liked Brennan and it seemed unique, so we kept it.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography