Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu deaths still hitting close to home for me.

Flu deaths still hitting close to home for me.

My friend texted me last night and told me a guy her boyfriend works with just passed away from suspected H1N1/swine flu.
    Today on Facebook I learned a guy I went to school with (elementary through high school) just passed away too.
    Come to find out it is the same person.

I know it's not only the swine flu that can be fatal, but it seems to be the one making it rounds right now.

Everyone, please be careful. If you are sick, stay home and if it lasts too long go to the doctor!!!

RIP George
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh man. I keep hearing more and more about the flu! Has anyone on here gotten the vaccine? I'm not so sure about it....
    RIP George

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I am so sorry for your and his family's loss. RIP George

I'm so sorry to hear about George. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

I have heard of a lot of people I know contracting H1N1, but luckily it seems to be pretty mild around here so far. (*knocks on wood*) My mum has been home from work with H1N1 this past week. It can really make you feel crummy! Thankfully she is feeling much better now.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

RIP George ...that is very scary.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I went and got my H1N1 vaccine and my seasonal flu vaccine on Thursday. I have type 1 diabetes, so I was in the high risk category and therefore eligible to get it early. The H1N1 shot HURTS way more than the seasonal flu shot. I still have a bump on my arm and it hurts to lift it over my head Other than that, I have had no side effects whatsoever. I think it's worth getting the vaccine.

I hope to get the vaccine when I have my annual physical later this month. A couple years ago, my Primary Care Physician, whom I respect, moved my annual physical into "flu shot season" so I could get everything done in one visit if possible.
    I've Been Frosted

If and when I can find doses, I'll be getting the H1N1 vaccine......though I'm afraid it may be too late, as we have a person at work who, after being diagnosed positively with a flu, but not tested for H1N1, come back to work after only 2 days out, even though he has plenty of sick time banked.

We'll see how it goes.....
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

you know...I HATE to buy into media hysteria... this kind of scares me

hannah cant get the vaccine as she has a reaction to eggs and the regular flu vaccine is NOT given to people with any kind of egg allergy. especially at her age.

Brian and I will most likely get our flu shots and then... if the H1N1 is available still (since there is a shortage) we might get it... but Hannah can't get it and that kind of worries me.

but I am more worried about a major egg reaction than I am about the flu. I like to think I am doing my best to protect her against it and that she has had so much exposure to the outside world that she may have a strong immune system... but I just dont' KNOW. and that scares me as a mother

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Cindy, I'm sorry to hear this. I've only had my regular flu shot and now I've heard that most places are running low on this. I have Kaiser and I can only get the H1N1 shot if I'm pregnant which I'm not or if I have some other disease like diabetes or asthma. If they ever let the general population get it then I most likely will be getting it. When I was at the cat show at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds there was a huge H1N1 clinic there and the line was huge. I don't know what the requirements were for this one but there were men,women and children there.

Got my shot last week. I wasn't even sore the next day, like I was for the seasonal flu shot.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I get my seasonal flu shot tomorrow, but I won't be getting the H1N1. My doctor is still not recommending it for anyone, but he will give one if a patient insists. He feels that there are still too many "unknowns" with the H1N1 vaccine, and that's why he has taken that position on it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

RIP George, and to all his family and friends, my condolences.

We've had two 12 year old girls die in RI from H1N1 in the past 10 days. Different schools, different cities. It IS scary! In each case, no underlying health issues. Both girls seemed to be recovering, then suddenly and rapidly declined. One girl, her sister had it the week before, a seemingly mild case, and recovered. Both families are in shock, needless to say.

Dad and I both got the seasonal vaccine in Sept.

RI is having some difficulty getting H1N1 vaccine. School clinics start this week. Dad and I are on the list but not a high risk as this thing came around twice before - 1968 and 1989, so we are considered to have some immunity. Even with all Dad's health issues, he is quite low on the list.

Schools have about 20% absenteeism, but some of that is cautious parents keeping healthy kids home, and some is kids "faking" to stay home. Still, it is a high rate and expected to climb.

What I heard over the weekend, even afterwards, when you feel find again and have no symptoms, you can be contagious for up to 2 weeks! THAT will make this tough to control.

Yes, this is all too scary. Even the vaccine is scary. I just don't know anymore.
    George was 3 years younger than me, so he was around 33 years old. There have been several children lost here in California to this as well. A 5 year old in my town just the week before my friend passed back in June.
    It almost makes me not want to leave my house. But that's not possible. So I will just be extra careful and wash my hands often.
    Thanks for your kind words.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm sorry to hear that someone you know died from this flu.