Thread: Leash clip Problems

Leash clip Problems

I am writing this right now pretty shaken up. I apparently own a "thick, sturdy nylon" leash. Not EVEN close, this is the second time the leash magically came un done by itself. The first time, Mikey realized this and he ran away, I eventually got him. This time, he didn't realize it and I grabbed him before anything terrible happened. I'm shaken right now because we were on a VERY BUSY road with idiots speeding left and right. Mikey thinks it'll be fun to chase cars, he has no recall skills - needless to say if he had realized it he would have been road kill!! I have never had this much problems with a damn leash clip before and it will be the death of Mikey if I don't do something. It's just a basic nylon black leash with a basic clip. I had it hooked onto the right part of the collar, I ALWAYS double checked it after the last time. I just don't get it??

What's wrong with this leash? I am reluctant to use it now because it scares me to death what could've happened. But I don't have any other leashes besides the british training leash, which I don't like very much.

Any suggestions? Could it be the collar? I don't know at all what's wrong.

Oh Alyssa I'm so sorry this happened to you. How scary!
    Maybe try a leash with a much heavier-duty clip?

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Sorry to read of that close call. Thankfully, both you and Mikey are alright.

I guess it is time to buy a new leash. The clips do break. ''

We sell Lupine brand collars, leashes and harnesses at the shelter. They are guaranteed for life. If they break or are chewed through they are replaced......for life!
    I've never seen one come back because the clip failed. I have a Lupine leash for Taggart and the clip is the kind that you just press on the collar loop to attach. Zoee's is the regular leash that you pull the little thingy back to hook it on. Luckily I've not had problems with either leash.
    Check online and see if you have any Lupine distributors in your area.
    I would definitely buy a new leash. You might have to spend a little more money than you'd like, but you'd feel a lot better about walking Mikey.

I know how you feel though. Taggart got away from me today out of the car when we stopped to potty. But he stayed right by the car, luckily. If it had been Zoee she'd have ran off and I would have had a heck of a time getting her back to me.

Please give Mr Serious Face a kiss for me!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Can you post a pic of the leash, well just the clip realy? i have a lead here that has done that a few times and it does not get used at all now.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I had a similar problem with a leather leash. What it turned out to be was the metal loopy on Sasha's collar was pretty thin and the leash latch didn't close completely. While walking the two worked against each other and whoops, she was loose. Solved it by getting another leash with a smaller latch.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Man. I heard someone else complaining their leash. I think I would make my own leash now... adding a D ring as the attachment or something...
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Cindy's suggestion about the Lupine brand collars/leashes is a good one. Like she said, they are extremely strong and durable. I think that is the same material they use for rock climbing?

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by cloverfdx View Post
    Can you post a pic of the leash, well just the clip realy? i have a lead here that has done that a few times and it does not get used at all now.
    Are you asking this of Alysser or me?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

We got him a new harness and leash today at wal-mart, hopefully it holds up. It's the same type of leash though, but a different brand. I am so terrified of what could've happened to him. Thanks for the suggestions guys, if this happens again, I will definitley look into Lupine collars or leashes. Cindy, the leash I HAD was the same type as the one Zoee has.