Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef?

Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef?

BOY OH BOY!

Hell's Kitchen starts tonight!

I used to hate Gordon Ramsey but after watching him and his other shows on BBC I understand why he is so 'angry'. He wants people to succeed and it's really easy to toss in a towel and quit.

Restauranting (is that a word?) is a tough job, not for the weak or lazy.
    He really does take all the glamour out of the job-he makes it real-you just don't show up and cook for the public- he shows you what is required of running any eatery- if anyone can make it thru his show, they deserve their own place.

--------------------

Is Top Chef kinda predictable? The idiots who cast that show are stuck in the same pattern that made 'Survivor' really tiring. Instead of picking people that want to be on the show, it's the same formula again.

The Asian smart arse, the spiked hair dude, cute gal with implants, fat Mexican dude (I can say that!) Tall white guy and so on....I like the show, but find that a little irritating.

I like them both, though on Hell's Kitchen, they seem to be given the same things to cook a lot of the time. Why does he love scallops so much?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I like them both, though on Hell's Kitchen, they seem to be given the same things to cook a lot of the time. Why does he love scallops so much?
    Oh, that's funny, I never noticed that.!
    HE does seem to explode when the scallops go bad!

----------

One thing that grodies me out is when they refer to some food as protein.
    I dunno why!

I can't WAIT for Hell's Kitchen tonight. I love gordon ramsey. I am reading his autobiography right now.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I'm very much looking forward to Hell's Kitchen starting tonight.
    I've always watched it and can't imagine working for him. He is very articulate how he wants things done...I know he'd make me cry

Never watched Top Chef though.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Top Chef is pretty good. It's just like HK, but they go to different places to cook and serve.

This last episode made me wonder about the winners of the immunity challenges on TC.

Before the winners would get a nifty prize from the guest judges. Now the judges steal the winning recipes for their restaurants!

Karen.

Why were scallops such a huge part of the show tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    Karen.

Why were scallops such a huge part of the show tonight?
    Because Gordon Ramsey is obsessed with them, apparently! Even in his Restaurant Nightmares show in Britain, it seems like every other "signature dish" he "develops" for a restaurant is scallops! And they are not hard to cook right, which always amazes me that people on the show manage to ruin them time after time! Duh - take 'em out of the pan when they're done?

And why is anyone who ever dines at Hell's Kitchen during production surprised when their food doesn't get there on time? Why? I mean, you've gotta know half the people go there for the chance to be seen on TV, not for the food anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

I don't know if they announced it at the beginning of the show......
    They mentioned that you have to "know" someone to get a table.

I bet half of the patrons are the 'starving' SAG card holders that are hoping they are discovered acting like jerks.

I have noticed that they are getting more hostile towards the poor maitre' d.
    People here in Lost Angeles are impatient and really get mouthy when they don't get what they want.

It's pretty embarassing.

Why is Top CHef getting so heated?

I am waiting for some one to go off and kill someone - Is it a good idea to have contests where the people use knives?

------------
    I have been enjoying Hell's Kitchen - that's another winner!

I get lost between the two shows. I think that the red haired chef with the attitude has already run it's course as a go-to-character on any cooking show.

THat goes for Bobby Flay too........The Next Food Network Star for 6 episodes starts in June!

Being a cook myself, I do not watch that show. He is SO rude, cuts people down and is screaming at them.. There is a correct way to talk to people and that is NOT the way and you don't scream or cut people down in front of everybody else. It may get good ratings but nobody deserves to be talked to like that. I had 6 ladies that worked under me, I was the boss and I would NEVER have talked to them like that! If I had a problem with any of them, I called them into my office and we discussed it as ADULTS! NO matter how stupid one acted, no matter how mad I got.. I was always professional and handled it in a professional manner!

You can catch a lot more flies with honey!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    Being a cook myself, I do not watch that show. He is SO rude, cuts people down and is screaming at them.. There is a correct way to talk to people and that is NOT the way and you don't scream or cut people down in front of everybody else. It may get good ratings but nobody deserves to be talked to like that. I had 6 ladies that worked under me, I was the boss and I would NEVER have talked to them like that! If I had a problem with any of them, I called them into my office and we discussed it as ADULTS! NO matter how stupid one acted, no matter how mad I got.. I was always professional and handled it in a professional manner!

You can catch a lot more flies with honey!
    He's actually not like that with his real staff. he treats his staff very well.

I read his biography and he does it because if these people want to get into cooking like REALLY want to pursue it... they are going to have bosses like that. Ramsay had one boss who would throw pots and pans full of hot food and oil when he would get angry. So he wants to show them how bad it can really be ....

Although interesting enough... kitchen nightmares the US version is VERY different than kitchen nightmares BBC version. He is angrier and yells on the US version but not on the BBC version. so if he wants to keep his shows he's gotta do a little acting the way the network wants and in the US... drama sells lol.

I'll watch HK if nothing better ís on, but I must agree with Laura's Babies, he's over the top most of the time! OK, I know it's a show and exxagerated ?SP - but as far as I can see, no one gets the time it takes to cook what they're trying to cook - being interrupted all the time. Yes, I also know, there's no excuse for not being able to cook a bowl of Spagetti - I mean, is there anything more basic! And yes, he does seem to have them cook a lot of Scallops! (I saw that one yesterday)

I suppose his opposite is Rick Stein. I used to enjoy watching Keith Floyd's shows - now I enjoy Antony Worrall Thompson's.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I'll watch HK if nothing better ís on, but I must agree with Laura's Babies, he's over the top most of the time! OK, I know it's a show and exxagerated ?SP - but as far as I can see, no one gets the time it takes to cook what they're trying to cook - being interrupted all the time. Yes, I also know, there's no excuse for not being able to cook a bowl of Spagetti - I mean, is there anything more basic! And yes, he does seem to have them cook a lot of Scallops! (I saw that one yesterday)

I suppose his opposite is Rick Stein. I used to enjoy watching Keith Floyd's shows - now I enjoy Antony Worrall Thompson's.

Well it is TV and edited for time. I bet they get a lot more time than we think. After all people in the dining room complain that they were sitting there for over an hour lol and only about half an hour of the show is the actual cooking for dinner service.

We haven't had Gordon as chef in Hell's Kitchen in a while over here (UK), two years I think. One year we had two chefs- two kitchens, with Gary Rhodes and Jean-Christophe Novelli (the latter being major gorgeous! ) and last year the chef was Marco Pierre White who was, for the majority of the time, laid back. I thought he was wonderful.