Thread: stolen cats!

stolen cats!

from the local news station in Los Angeles, California.

(CBS) (LAGUNA NIGUEL) The owner of a dozen stolen Abyssinian cats recovered six of the animals Wednesday but is still offering a large reward for the others, which include a grand champion feline worth a reported $10,000.

Caroline Osier said the rare cats were stolen from her apartment Saturday while she was at a show in Denver.

"They came specifically for my cats and they did not take anything else," said Osier, who is a writer for Cat Fancy and a judge at cat shows. "They brought their own cat carriers," she added.

About half the cats were dropped off in a dog park in Laguna Niguel, where they were seen by dog walkers, who notified animal control, Osier said.

"It's a very evil and cruel thing to do," Osier said of dumping the cats in a dog park. "They had to know the cats would be in grave danger."

"They dumped the high-maintenance cats" that needed the attention of a veterinarian, she said. Those included a mother with three week-old kittens.

Another of the kittens was believed to have been taken by someone who found it in the park.

"I appeal to that person to return" that kitten, she said.

Osier said she was going to be gone a short period so she left the cats in her apartment, with food, water and litter boxes.

"Apparently, there is a good black-market for them," she said.

Osier's grand champion Karnak, rated third for ruddy Abyssinians in the country, is among the missing, she said. But she doubts the cat could be shown anywhere else in this country.

"I've notified all the associations," she said. "They would have to send the cat overseas."

Osier said there are open cases in Riverside, Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties involving thefts of valuable cats.

"Mine happens to be somewhat more high profile, but whoever masterminded it knew that I would be judging and be gone that weekend," she said.

Orange County sheriff's Sgt. Mike Gavin said Osier placed the value of the cats at "upwards of $15,000."

Anyone with more information on the case is asked to call (949) 425-1900.

all I can say is How cruel!

Interesting that she had 12 cats in one apartment. She also somehow knew they brought their own cat carriers...

I'm not insinuating anything, I just thought that was odd. Kind of fishy to me.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Oh no!! As soon as I read the thread title, I just knew it was gonna be about Abyssinians! I watched a show on animal planet about a guy who stole someone's ruddy buddy. They caught him and returned the ruddy buddy to his rightful owner thank god!!

Now, now burglers...I know abys are beautiful but if you want one you shouldn't steal someone else's. You should buy one yourself like everyone else.

I pray those poor Abys haven't been sold and that they get returned to their owner.

I'd raise some holy heck if my Tama was ever stolen!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

This is a sad thread
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

I have been offered a lot of money for Bastet. Her being a *rare* colour - faun abyissinain - she is worth a fair amount on the black market.

Thats why I keep her indoors because I couldn't afford the pet insurance if anything should happen to her. There have been cases here of where fellow aby friends have had their cat's stolen and later found and returned because the theif couldn't control their behaviour.

Aby's are definately one owner cats and unless they go with their former owner's blessing they are real terrors to manage.

Its sad to hear that there is still a black market for Abyssinians.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."