Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jack Is Ill: He is going to the bridge...(Update)

Jack Is Ill: He is going to the bridge...(Update)

Okay, as you know around three weeks ago Jack had his right thyroid gland removed due to having being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
    He's been recoving well and gaining weight.
    However the past two days he's been breathing very fast and his heartbeat has been extremely fast (you can feel it by putting your hand on his side)
    So I took him back to the vets, the head nurse examined him, and said he should see the surgeon.
    So the surgeon saw him, he examined him, looked in his eyes to see if the pupils dilated which they didn't. Now I'm assuming after having his thyroid problem that he has hypertension (high blood pressure) which can be caused by having a thyroid problem.
    But the surgeon, asked if he'd been outside and hit by a car or something, he checked his claws etc, and I was like well no he's been inside since his operation?
    He then said he thought he had neurological damage and that was why he was breathing funny and had a fast heartbeat. I don't understand why he's saying this, he thinks that he has had a blunt trauma to the head. I said well isn't it linked to his thyroid? and he said it wasn't.
    But I am sure it is linked and he just needs to be treated for high blood pressure.
    He gave him a 25mg atenolol, which he has to have a quarter of every day. Now I looked hypertension up and researched it on the net and it says that the symptoms of it are rapid heart rate or murmour and no response to light when shined in the eyes, which is exactly what happend with Jack.
    I just don't understand why the vet has not noticed this and seen a link?
    I am positive he has hypertension.

Basically he said to me, that I should bring him back today and think about having him put to sleep? I was like, I don't think so. Naturally I went to pieces and cried my eyes out. He even said don't be surprised if you get up in the morning and he's already gone.
    But he is fine in himself, still washing, still using his scratching post and drinking, he's eaten but not a lot, but certainly not as if there is neurological damage?! He's not in any pain, though the vet said he may feel discomfort with his breathing, but if he's not in pain then I'm NOT putting him to sleep for god's sake.
    He's lying on the sofa at the moment asleep, other than his fast breathing, he's fine all other ways.

So this morning I tried to ring another vets, not a charity one like I use, they basically said they can't see him without his medical history records, and the vet won't see him without these, I tried to explain to the receptionist about his condition, but she cut me off and just said 'I have a lot to do today we are fully booked and I can't talk to you about this now'
    So basically I think they were saying as they knew I'd used the PDSA I wasn't very well off and probably wouldn't be able to afford to use them anyway. She said phone back on Monday and make an appointment with us.
    I won't be doing that.

So I'm not taking Jack in today to see the emergency vet (as it's the weekend) as the surgeon said he'd leave a note, and if the note is to say to put him down, I am not doing that.
    I will ring first thing Monday morning to get another appointment to see another vet and explain I want him looked at for hypertension, as it must be related to his hyperthyroidism.
    I have to explore all options surely?
    Do you think I'm being naive by trying to get him looked at regarding hypertension?
    I think it was a complete mis diagnosis by the surgeon, he doesn't have neurological damage, has NOT had anything hit him in the head, and it must be to do with his thryoid. I don't understand why he didn't see this?
    The main reason he said brain damage is because his pupils didn't respond to anything, but this IS one of the sypmtoms of hypertension.
    I am going to print off all the stuff I've found on the internet and take it with me to show who I see, I have to have a second option surely?

I am emotionally ragged again, and my head is spinning.

I didn't mean to go on so long.

I would reallly like people's opinions on this as you are all experienced cat owners who may have had the same thing.

Kate
    Last edited by CultureJunky; 03-04-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Your baby is sick and you are worried silly, no need to apoligize to anyone here for a long post about how worried you are. My vet knows me and a lot of times, I am the one he treats, not the baby I take in (usually Amy) and I always left feeling better after assurances from him that they are OK. I hope things get better, I am sure you will find a better vet that will reslove this and help him. Take a deep breath and hang in there! ((((HUGS)))))

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Kate, I am so sorry to read of the time you are having!

I looked up 'atenolol,' as I am not familiar with it. That IS prescribed for hypertention. So maybe the doc DID listen to you? It will be interesting to see if Jack responds to it over these few days of treatment.

Prayers for Jack, {{hugs}} for you.

A second opinion is always a good idea anyhow for something so serious, so I wouldn't waste any time finding another vet. In the meantime, continue w/his medication and we'll do our part by praying that Jack responds to it. This is so scary and frustrating, I know. Our furkids can't talk and tell us what's wrong or what hurts and sometimes we have to trust our instincts. Hang in there and please keep us posted.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you folks for your comforting words. I know I am doing the right thing for Jack, and it's only natural I'm going to do my best for him to get him better. I will not let him go from me until I have exhausted all options, I just wouldn't. Naturally if he was in pain or in any kind of stress that I couldn't stand to see him in I would let him go. But he honestly isn't. He's been lying on the sofa asleep next to me, and I've been smoothing him, he's purring away, apart from breathing very shallow and a bit fast.
    I will give him more of his tablet with some tuna later on. I really do think I am on the right track, I know I'm not a vet, but I know Jack and have been as careful and tried to find out as much about hyperthyroidism as soon as I knew he had it, so I would be able to take care of him the best I could. I feel I am doing that, by trying to find other options.
    I really do believe he needs a course of these or similar medication to take his heart rate back down again to normal levels.
    I'm not just going to put him to sleep until I know I have done everything I could possibly do for him.

Thanks for your prayes, and please pray as hard as you can for him

Sounds like those are the right meds for hypertension...I hope they kick in soon!

I'm not a vet, but I can't see either why neurological damage would be at all suspected...unless something happened during surgery. But all went well, and this started just lately.

I feel in my gut that what Jack has is treatable. {{{{hugs}}}} and I hope you find a vet who knows about hypertension.

Hugs to Jack for me!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Both my father and myself take Atenolol for high blood pressure. I sure hope it works for Jack. I'd be so ticked with that other vet that said they were booked and couldn't talk with you right now.

I hope you can get him in to see another vet at a different office. I'd be worried sick AND furious!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    Both my father and myself take Atenolol for high blood pressure. I sure hope it works for Jack. I'd be so ticked with that other vet that said they were booked and couldn't talk with you right now.

I hope you can get him in to see another vet at a different office. I'd be worried sick AND furious!
    Yes as I found out in my researching on the net it is a human drug, and only patented for humans, but it is used by vets to treat hypertension in cats. As it's for human use, the dose is small, about a quarter of the 25mg each day.
    I am going to ring the PDSA and explain he has responded well to the atenolol and ask if I can have a prescription for more. He seems a bit better this evening, sitting on the sofa, after having his second quarter of the tablet.
    I really am against taking him to the vets, as he gets terrible panic attacks in the car and carrier, and this will exacerbate his breathing and heart rate, so I am REALLY hoping they will let me have a prescription for it and let him have it for a few days, maybe when he settles down a bit and is calmer I can take him to be checked.

Has anybody here gone to the vets for a prescription and they have given it to them, without examining their cat beforehand, if it has already been prescribed in a small dose?

I will sleep downstairs with him again tonight, hopefully when he's settled down for the night and sleeping, the tablet will work more and his heart will have slowed down more.

Quote Originally Posted by CultureJunky

Has anybody here gone to the vets for a prescription and they have given it to them, without examining their cat beforehand, if it has already been prescribed in a small dose?
    My old vet, who has since retired, would've done that for me because I went to him for 30 years. But I doubt that any vet nowadays will do it because of the liability. I'd ask anyhow, ya never know. All they can say is "no".
    Blessings,
    Mary

What a terrible thing to say , to consider having Jack put down before all avenues have been explored!!!
    I dont think that anty Vet worth his salt would say that unless the Pet was in dire straight.
    We are praying hard for Jack, and we hope that that medicine helps him be his old self again.
    That receptionist should be reprimanded for her lack of courtesy and proffesionalism.

Jack, were in your corner!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Okay, an update on Jack and how things are going.

I rang a vet this morning, called Cardiff Cat Clinic, they are a cat only practice. As it was a Sunday, I had to ring the emergency line, this transferred me to an emergency practice that covers a number of vetinary practices in the Cardiff area on weekends.
    I took him in to be examined.
    The vet checked his heart, lungs and pulse. He couldn't feel his pulse as it was quite weak, and he also said his temprature is quite low. His heart was beating so fast he couldn't count it, he says there is something going on with his heart and it's quite bizarre to be so high, and also that it might have a murmur.
    So he's keeping him in for the night, and has given him an injection of atenolol (the same medication the PDSA vet gave me in tablet form) to stabalise him and help bring his heart rate down, he may also give him some oxygen.

We have to ring between 4-6 pm to see how he is doing and if the injection has helped.
    As it's an emergency vets they can only keep him until 8.00am tomorrow morning, then he can be transferred to a vet of our choice. I am NOT taking him back to the PDSA. I will try and get him into the Cardiff Cat Clinic practice tomorrow morning, get him registered and then try and get him treated.
    The vet said that as they have now looked at him, the PDSA probably won't take him back again as they are a charity and sometimes they don't accept animals back, this doesn't matter to me as I'm not taking him back anyway, I said money isn't an option, I want to get the best treatment for him. PDSA only do basic things and simply wouldn't have the money for the work he needs done.
    The vet said he needs to have blood tests, and a chest X-ray to see what is going on with his heart. He also said it is possible it could be his other thyroid gland as they sometimes break down too after over compensating after the removal of the oppostite one. But most inportantly he thinks he should have blood tests and get a chest X-ray.

Naturally he explained that when he gets an X-ray he will have to have an anaesthetic and this is dangerous considering he's quite ill. I accept this that he could possibly die from it, but It needs to be done to treat him.

I am prepared to let him be treated and if he happened to pass away then I would feel much better the fact that he passed on being treated properly by a good vet. I will accept that, I could not however accept just having him put to sleep or letting him die of a heart attack at home. I would never have recovered from that.

So he'll stay in overnight and we pick him up at 8.00am tomorrow morning. He'll stay stabalised, providing he doesn't deteriorate then the vet would do the chest x-ray and blood tests himself, but I do think he'll be okay having the injection to reduce his heart rate.
    I am praying he'll stay stablised overnight and I can get him registered and start trying to find out what's wrong with him at the Cats clinic asap tomorrow.

So that is what is happening, I miss him already, the house is empty without him, but I am comforted knowing he's being looked after and is stable and not in any specific danger for the time being.

Kate

Wow, that's quite a lot for you to handle! But at the same time, I believe that you're making the right decisions. I'm not sure I understand why Jack needs to be anesthetized for an x-ray, though. My Puddy just had an ultrasound and an x-ray and she wasn't anesthetized. (She was so calm that I asked and my vet assured me that she was not.) At any rate, we're sending out those prayers that things will turn around for Jack and for you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I think the vet would have him have an anaesthetic as it would stress him to be X-rayed, it could be that if he's okay overnight, and he goes to the other vets (the cat clinic) that they won't need to anasthetise him for an X-ray, that's what I'm hoping. I guess they would have to seriously stablise him and bring his heart rate right down for a few days before considering their options. I think they would want to reduce the risk of him passing away whist having a chest x-ray.
    I can't tell you all how quickly I want tomorrow to come so I can get him to the other vets, I am so desperate for the time to fly, I am trying to find things to do to make the time go faster!

My heart goes out to you and to Jack; I know you are terribly anxious and scared for him. I, too, am glad you got a 2nd opinion. Sometimes that makes all the difference. We'll pray lots of prayers for your baby.

((((hugs))))
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

WOW!!! I just read this thread and I have to admit, I am overwhelmed!!! Many prayers for Jack and you, too. This is not an easy time.....HUGS!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!