Thread: My two new betta boys

My two new betta boys

I hadn't formally introduced my two new betta boys for a couple reasons. One I was having trouble typing with wrist/arm pain, and two I was afraid of losing them the same way I lost Haiku. I'm STILL a bit paranoid, but it has been 6 days and they are eating heartily and active/curious so I think we're doing good.

For those who don't already know, Haiku started going downhill 2 days after I got him. I ended up spending close to $100 to help him survive, from a nice 3-gallon aquarium system to special water conditioners and test kits to various foods to entice him to eat again. Some might feel that is a bit ridiculous to spend so much for a $3 fish, but I just don't view it that way. To me, it's a life that I'm responsible for, and I will do all in my power to give it the best life possible. It was a very hard week, watching him gradually decline despite all my tremendous efforts, and finally he passed away.

But, I decided to try again. I kid you not, I spent at least an hour watching the bettas at Petco that night, trying to decide who to take home. It eventually came down to two boys, and I just couldn't decide so I grabbed both of them and took them home.

I decided to name them after constellations, Orion and Draco. Orion is in the 3-gallon (after it was vigorously sterilized) Eclipse tank, and Draco is in a 2.5 Minibow tank. So, without further ado, here they are. I bet some of you never thought to see someone so emotionally invested in fish !

Orion's home:

Draco's home:

And a few closeups.

Orion:

Flaring

Draco

Checking out his cave

Draco is odd and won't flare for me . Hope you enjoyed!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

They are gorgeous bettas! I love their tank setups.

I'm sorry about Haiku, I read his story on fishforums.net.

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

Beautiful Boys! Orion looks just like my Skylar!

Beautiful pics! Your Orion looks like my Satine, and I also have a red and blue betta named Draco
    Shadow & Gus (the kitties), Blink (the gecko), Draco, Satine, Damon, & Outback (the fishies) ~I'll be there for you - 'cause you're there for me too~

Be at peace, Erin, I will miss you and remember your sweet face always...

Thank you for the compliments! I've gotten quite attached to the little guys, they have so much personality. I finally got Draco to flare today.. not at his reflection but my finger . He also leaped out of the water to get a piece of food I was trying to drop in LOL.

Orca, I didn't even realize you had a Draco too! I've always liked the name, and my Draco's pearly scales looked so reptilian that the name seemed to fit perfectly. Hopefully you can get a picture of your Draco sometime. I'd love to see him!

I have to thank Kara again for referring me to fishforums.net. I've learned so much!

Wow, Jess! What phenomenal pics! They're gorgeous!!! I've never seen Betta's with more beautiful coloring! Orion's coloring especially, is so unique....pink and blue! And what deluxe digs! Of course we are talking Jess as their Mommy! I hope and pray that the two beauties, Draco and Orion live long and happy lives at Camp Jess! Welcome home, boys!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

They are beautiful, Jess!

I love Orion's colors!

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

they're so pretty! They are so lucky to have nice tanks all to themselves!

Originally posted by K9soul
    Orca, I didn't even realize you had a Draco too! I've always liked the name, and my Draco's pearly scales looked so reptilian that the name seemed to fit perfectly. Hopefully you can get a picture of your Draco sometime. I'd love to see him!
    Yup, I got Draco last April from a friend who was moving and couldn't take his fish with him. I know how you feel, I am very attached to my fish just like my other pets. As soon as I saw Draco, I knew I had to have him, he had this bad-boy look to him. He came with the name Draco, but it fit perfectly I thought. From what my friend tells me, he is a little over a year old now. I can never seem to take good pictures of my fish (if you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them ) so this one doesn't do him justice, lol. I got the tank as a gift and, out of my three bettas, Draco had to go in it because of the dragon!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shadow & Gus (the kitties), Blink (the gecko), Draco, Satine, Damon, & Outback (the fishies) ~I'll be there for you - 'cause you're there for me too~

Be at peace, Erin, I will miss you and remember your sweet face always...

That is so cute! The only picture suggestion I can really make is to turn on your macro mode (the little flower icon) on your camera if you have that option. I can't get a really good/clear picture of mine unless I do that because the camera otherwise tries to focus on the aquarium instead of the fish. My two have been making bubble nests since Saturday evening . Orion is working on a new one right now since I had to tear it up with his partial water change yesterday.

Thanks everyone!

They're gorgeous! And I love your set ups!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]