Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star is the smartest little bird!

Star is the smartest little bird!

Star, ALMOST opened the door of her cage today! It's the kind of door that you just pull up. Well, I saw her pulling it up and stopped her! How do I stop her from doing this? I would hate to come home and find her gone. Any suggestions?

My friend's budgie always tries that too, she's hyper at times.. Anyway you could put really strong tape on or get a new cage... I have a few more suggestions, let me know if you want to hear them!
    I've been frosted

Wow, she is quite the little Einstein!
    I hear of alot of birds learning how to open that kind of cage. Norri's old cage had the same kind of doors, and since I knew Norri wouldn't chew on it, I used a bent paper clip (with the extra/point parts outside of the cage), and it kept it good and secure.
    Now his cage has latches on it, so I don't have to worry.
    I admit that I'm unsure if that is safe, and now that I think back, I don't think it was very wise of me. Though I do know Norri's personality, and he's not one to chew on things and such.
    If I was you, I'd wait for someone else's reply, they're more reliable than I am!
    Good luck.

get a lock that is too heavy for Star to lict.. attach it to the bar that slids up & down & Star will no longer to move it, as its too heavy

Thank you all! Norri, is an enstien to! I don't want to put tape as Star is a chewer. If I see her trying this agian I'm doing that.

I think that the lock-thing is a great idea! I wish I would have thought of that instead of the little paperclip stunt I pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    I think that the lock-thing is a great idea! I wish I would have thought of that instead of the little paperclip stunt I pulled.
    I'm good at solving annoying pet things hehe

that's cute, but you would hate to have your bird actually get out and get hurt or die. put a lock or tie a twisty tie around it.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    ...put a lock or tie a twisty tie around it.
    I heard twisty ties aren't reccomended... I'm unsure why, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    I heard twisty ties aren't reccomended... I'm unsure why, though.
    Hmm...really? Thats what I would've suggested

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Hmm.... maybe I've gotten it confused with something else.....maybe I'm thinking about rat cages... that would make more sense.
    I'll go try to find out which one it is!

you don't use twist ties as the ends are sharp & will cut a bird open or poke it in the eye. The lock as a weight is impossible for the bird to get out & its harmless to the bird

So I didn't have it confused!! I couldn't find the thread on a different forum that stated that, so thanks for clearing it up.

I only know twist ties are sharp because I don't know how many of them I have gotten stuck in my hands & feet. So if they can stab me with ease, then they'll have no problem stabbing a poor bird's thin skin. Twist ties are banned from my home.. as having to pull out one with a hooked end out from under my finger nail is PAINFUL!!!

I would never use twist ties. Star eats everything or at least chews on it! Her and Sunny ate away at their old wooden letter until it broke! Star has also eaten metal, broken a bell of her toy, ALMOST ATE THE thingy that makes the bell ring, eats paper, and now its the cage door. She is soooo bad sometimes.