Thread: need to figure out how to fly the buns..

need to figure out how to fly the buns..

I just have one week till the move.. and i need to figure out how to fly the buns.. so far I´ve read I need some papers.. not expensive at all.. but I have no clue where to get them..

I´ll be calling the airline and get them to help me out... that and what kind of kennel can I use.. I´ve seen some smal doggie ones but with plastic door.. not sure if that can work or if it has to be metal door...

oh man...

I should be calling right now.. because if everything goes well I need to get two pet carriers... :P...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    I just have one week till the move.. and i need to figure out how to fly the buns.. so far I´ve read I need some papers.. not expensive at all.. but I have no clue where to get them..

I´ll be calling the airline and get them to help me out... that and what kind of kennel can I use.. I´ve seen some smal doggie ones but with plastic door.. not sure if that can work or if it has to be metal door...

oh man...

I should be calling right now.. because if everything goes well I need to get two pet carriers... :P...
    I am sure every airline has different rules. You may be able to get "underseat" carriers," so they don't have to go through the noise and cold of a cargo compartment.
    I've Been Frosted

I'd also make sure the buns have plenty of chew toys so they don't chew on the crates.

Also, I'm with Karen about seeing if they can ride "under the seat" with you. Bunnies are so fragile and they stress out so easily I think the cargo area would be very difficult for them.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

so far no luck.. need to call tomorrow somewhere else..

apparently they don´t carry rabbits.. just dogs and cats.. and last I knew you could take them as "baggage" without any fee unless they surpassed the 25kg of baggage you had permit to carry then you had an excess baggage fee of about 10dlls per kg... now they say for dogs there is a fee of 45dlls plus tax (15%).. and they can no longer go under the seat... they go as cargo but on a special compartment..

a page I found it says you can travel bunnies but you have to pay a certain paper for like 6dlls.. but no further info on what else..
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

A long time ago... (1992) My dad flew with my rabbit (RB Frisky) from CA to MO... He kept her in his shirt. LOL. He had a small cat carrier too... Maybe he just went through security with her in his shirt. I can't remember. I know this is no help... since it was 17 years ago. Your post just brought up memories of that.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

so far bad news.. .. they won´t fly them as it´s not permitted for sanitary reasons.. i tried the "with papers" thing and it just won´t do... I asked why they did fly hedgehogs but not rabbits... and they said because of the smell.. ... and by land no one will ship live animals.. and even less as it´s such a long trip over 14 hours

so other than driving back myself there´s just no way to take them with me.. problem is.. i already have a booked flight.. and even if i did managed to cancel and attempt to drive... i can´t.. I´ve got no car ... so that leaves me to find homes for them in the next five days...

so not fair... freaking airflight rules...

notes-to-my-husband blog

Okay, what about cheating? How long is the flight? Is anyone flying with you?
    I've Been Frosted

just me and my kid.. unfortunately.. as tempting as cheating is.. due to the whole swine flu issues.. there´s way too much checkpoints.. and I don´t wanna think of being caught.. what would i be able to do then?.. just leave them at their will?.. I rather find them nice homes while I can... as sad as it can be.. :´(..

notes-to-my-husband blog

Okay. Is there any chance the breeder could take them back and find them new homes? Or is there something like Craigslist in Mexico, where you could ask if anyone is driving between the two places, and might take the buns along?
    I've Been Frosted

I´ve contacted the breeder.. well.. tried.. still haven´t got an answer from her.. and i´ve posted on several places for help.. aaaand I tried an agency that specializes in transporting animals.. so hopefully they can do rabbits at a decent cost*crossing fingers*..

I wonder how do they transport animals other than the permitted dogs and cats?.. I knoe hedgehogs are allowed but as in cargo.. but other than that how can we mortals travel with our pets.. so frustrating

notes-to-my-husband blog

"Um, officer, they are a really rare breed of cat, honest! You've heard of Himalayans and Persians and Manx cats? There are the rare short-tailed dachsi-cats - that's why they have the short legs and long ears!"
    I've Been Frosted

I might have good news.. yay.. let´s hope they stay that way..

my BIL is here and he´s driving back!!.. I asked him if he could take them and he said yes.. now I just need to get the "just in case papers" but will ask if they are needed for road trips..

so if everything goes as planned we are gonna need good vibes.. as he will make the trip possibly on two maybe three days.. so I hope the buns make it ok.. I´ll be giving him food and all.. so he just need to toss it in as well as some water or some watery food.. so he doesn´t takes them out as they may leap of and run away.. besides they won´t mind a couple of days being in the joint.. haha

*crossing fingers everything goes right and ends right *

notes-to-my-husband blog

Well I know you aren't USA, or it sounds like it, but in USA you are still supposed to have a health certificate but you can get them from the vet as they have the official state papers to fill out. So maybe as a vet about them.

thank you.. I actually spoke to the vet in charge at the airport and at the department of fauna imports or something.. lol

and they would give me the permit without fuss.. but if the airline said no.. then it would be still no..

but don´t worry.. the buns gotta ride with my BIL.. he´s driving back.. (needless to say I ask about federal laws about transpotation by ground and was told they don´t need any as they are not regulated.. neither by air, but the airlines are strict and ask for them anyway)..

they left this morning and should be halfway there by tonight..*fingers crossed everything goes well and they make it safely*

notes-to-my-husband blog