Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little concerned...UPDATE #18

A little concerned...UPDATE #18

As some of you know, my Pinot eats bugs, goes after shrews, has eaten wasps, thinks about taking down white tailed deer, brings her Mom chipmunks...you get the picture. She tries to eat anything that moves. We try to get these things from her before anything is injested, but she's very quick. This may have caused a problem.

Friday evening on the deck. We go out with her on nice evenings, take a glass of wine; she is not allowed to leave the deck. Where we live, as you also may know, there is an abundance of wildlife of all sizes. At this time of year, there are toads called "spring peepers" that make a lovely song when they all call out. Some frequent the deck. You may know where this is going. Pinot tried to eat one of the toads. It didn't stay in her mouth; she spat it out, but her eyes got very watery, she drooled a bit, otherwise seemed OK. We cleaned her up and took her inside.

Several of her meals since then have been thrown up. She seems otherwise normal. I'm a bit concerned. Does anyone have experience with a kitty attempting to eat a toad?
    Last edited by Pinot's Mom; 05-19-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Oh Maggie, I'm so sorry to hear Pinot isn't feeling all that great. I'm no animal expert but have heard that some toads can be toxic. Have you called your vet? Since your vet knows Pinot that might be your best resource for a reliable answer. I share your concern about Pinot, please let us know what you find out? Please give her tons of scritchies and lovies from me?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I think a quick phone call to the vet will help you feel better!

We had a dog as a child who used to "move" frogs. For some reason, they didn't bother her in the back yard, but she did NOT want them in her front yard! Frogs (and toads) do emit something from their skin to make predators drop them. It makes the animal drool etc. Princess learned to "tolerate" this as she was determined not to put them down until they were in the back yard. As I recall, she was fine in about 15 minutes or so; unless she had another frog to move.

Your vet will know what those toads are that you have in your area, and can shed some insight for you.

Certainly hope Pinot feels better quickly!

Thank you both! I did wonder if there was something emitted from the toad to cause the immediate reaction of the eyes and drooling. I will call Dr. Huson tomorrow and get her take on things. She has known us through three kitties and knows when we call there is a real issue, so she won't think I'm just being crazy. I'll let you know!

​GO RAVENS!!

I hope Pinot feels better! Yes, toadies have nasty tasting stuff in their 'warts'. I would hope the vomiting got rid of the worst of it, and she will be ok and not dehydrated.

Prayers for Pinot!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope she'll feel better soon and will now learn to not to eat any more toads.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Poor Pinot! I'll bet it was some kind of toxin emitted by the toad, and that it will pass with no further issues.

Sparky likes to play with toads when he finds one in the yard, but he doesn't put them in his mouth. He likes to paw at then to make them hop away. And of course if he finds one dead that has been a victim of the lawn mower - then he will roll all over it, necessitating a bath to get rid of the smell!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Our Good Lord gives all his Creatures a defense against predators and for the toad its a secretiion in their glands that make Cats and Dogs go YUCK!!!!!!!
    We think that Pinot will be all right, but now she, like Tubster Panther has written Toads off her diet
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks all for information and concern...the call is in to Dr. Huson, I'll report when she gets back to me!

She got right back to me...love my vet...
    According to Dr. Huson throwing up her food is not related to the toad. She has an appointment tomorrow. I have had kitties that threw up food before (and YUCK ate it again), so maybe this is nothing to worry about, but we'll see.

​GO RAVENS!!

Sweet, precious Pinot! Prayers and crossed fingers that all will be well.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Funny toad story

This makes me think of the time my brother the herpetologist attempted to collect a toad from my mother's vegetable garden. Mom (a dedicated organic gardener of long standing) physically restrained him and made it quite clear that she wanted the toad to stay in the garden and eat insect pests, as God meant it to do. Glad to know God gave the toad a back-up defense.
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Maggie, I sure hope that whatever is causing Pinot to throw up her food isn't anything serious. My cats will sometimes eat too fast,scarf and barf, or it's sometimes due to a hairball that they just need to throw up. Good luck at the vet.

My Ziggy is one who will not only eat her own vomit but will also gladly eat her siblings as well.

So...has Pinot turned into a princess yet?
    I'm sure I have my fairy tale reversed but I couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by MoonandBean View Post
    So...has Pinot turned into a princess yet?
    I'm sure I have my fairy tale reversed but I couldn't resist
    You already know she's a princess!

​GO RAVENS!!

Hey Pinot!
    I heard Meowmie say you tried to eat a toad and now you don't feel good. Are you okay? Do you feel better now? We don't have toads in Trenton and I don't think I've ever seen one in real life. Well, Soncat is going on a trip on Sunday and he'll be gone for two weeks so I have to finish helping him get ready. I'm sure going to miss him! Feel better soon so you'll be okay for our next Catmobile adventure. I'll call you on your cell phone. Please say hi to your purrents for me?

Purrs and headbumpies,
    Your friend,
    Groucho
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE