Thread: Dognapping Can Happen To Anyone

Dognapping Can Happen To Anyone

This article was in the Indy newspaper yesterday.It can serve
    as a good reminder to everyone, me included. Smokey is so very
    friendly, he'd be so easy to steal away.

Dognapped!
    Theft of pups and adult dogs is a common occurrence.

Protect pets
    Here are ways to protect your pet, according to Last Chance for Animals, a nonprofit animal-protection organization based in Los Angeles:
    • Keep your pet indoors, especially when you are not at home. Do not leave your pet unattended outdoors.
    • If your pet does stay outdoors, padlock your gate.
    • Make sure your pet is not visible from the street.
    • Properly identify your pet with a collar and tag, microchip and tattoo.
    • Know where your pet is at all times.
    • Maintain up-to-date licenses on your pet.
    • Be aware of strangers in the neighborhood.
    • Do not tie your pet outside a store to wait for you.
    • Never leave an animal unattended in a car.

By Alex Branch
    Knight Ridder Newspapers
    September 30, 2003

FORT WORTH, Texas -- As Tamara Howard napped in her bedroom recently, a thief crept through her unlocked back door and stole seven puppies from her living room.

The English bulldogs, which are difficult to breed, were valued at $1,500 to $2,000 apiece.

"They never made a sound," Howard said. "I just got up, and they were gone."

Police say the dogs' value makes Howard's case unusual, but she has plenty of company among owners who have become victims of dog thefts.

"It's something that we definitely know is going on," said Fort Worth Police Detective Tracy Tillerson, who is investigating Howard's case.

Nationally, about 2 million pets, the majority of them dogs, are stolen annually, according to Last Chance for Animals, a nonprofit protection organization based in Los Angeles.

"It's a big problem," said Chris DeRose, Last Chance president and lead investigator. "But unfortunately, most people don't realize it until they become a victim of it."

Few statistics available

Local figures are hard to come by because most cases are classified simply as thefts, not dog thefts, police said.

But breeders say protecting pets is a concern for dog owners. And the Humane Society of North Texas has installed cameras and stronger locks because dogs have been stolen from its facilities.

Stolen dogs, investigators say, are tough to track down, mostly because dogs often look alike.

Which leaves dog owners like Howard frustrated.

Howard's English bulldog, Kisses, had given birth to the litter of puppies seven weeks before they were stolen.

Young English bulldogs can sell for more than $1,000 because they're difficult to mate, the puppies often must be delivered by Caesarean section, and they require extensive veterinarian care.

Offered online

Howard had offered the pups for sale on an Internet site.

She said she was napping in her home in Fort Worth on Sept. 2, while her daughter was in school.

When Howard awoke, the puppies were gone.

"I looked everywhere and under everything. I ran outside and found my gate unlatched," she recalled. "I couldn't believe someone had just walked in and taken them."

She called the police. Soon after, an anonymous caller claimed to have seen someone selling the puppies at a flea market in Cleburne, Texas.

Tillerson said she is pursuing the tip, but she questions whether they were Howard's puppies. The sellers reportedly were advertising the puppies as baby pit bulls; anyone with a general knowledge of dogs would know the difference, she said.

Pit bulls are the most commonly stolen dogs, authorities said.

Most often, authorities believe, the thieves train them for fighting.

Some thieves may sell the dogs, sometimes at flea markets, Tillerson said. But without papers documenting a dog's pedigree, it would be difficult to sell it for its full value.

But thieves can sell pets to big commercial breeding operations known as " puppy mills," or to research laboratories, DeRose said.

Earlier this month, Arkansas authorities seized 125 dogs, many stolen from homes in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri. The dogs were seized from a man suspected of selling them to research firms for between $200 and $800.

Culprits are quick

Thieves will take dogs from yards, cars, homes or anywhere pet owners have them tethered, he said.

"All it takes these people is a few seconds," DeRose said. "If they see an opportunity, they take it. They'll reach into your back yard."

Keeping dogs in secure locations is the best defense, said Tammy Hawley, executive director of the Humane Society of North Texas.

But owners should take other precautions. Most veterinarians will implant microchips, which help track missing dogs. Also, owners can have dogs tattooed, and the American Kennel Club offers DNA registration.

Owners also should photograph pets and keep prints in a secure place, such as a safe- deposit box, Hawley said.

"The fact is that this stuff happens, and it's better to be ready if it does," she said.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Liz, this is awful!!!!!

Thanks for the "heads up" though. I am guilty of leaving Honey and Zipper outside when I go off, as it is where they prefer to be. Thankfully, they are NOT visible from the street, and Honey would probably put up quite a fight if someone wanted to grab her, but not Zipper.

Thanks for posing this Liz. I know Roxey would let anyone take her, but Huney & Angus are a different story. We ALWAYS lock our gate!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Thanks for the heads up, Liz. Our gates are padlocked, but it wouldn't matter anyway, my two like someone to accompany them outside or at least watch from the patio door. They like to keep us in sight at all times, in case we might decide to eat something without them. LOL
    I lock them in the car if I run into the store. I hope that their barking will deter a dognapper (or at least their teeth will).
    That must be a horrible feeling to find that your dog has been dognapped.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

What are people getting out of stelaing other people's best friends?! It angers me to no end..this is hoorible. The poor things probably ended up in labratories, or with backyard breeders.

Originally posted by Sudilar
    They like to keep us in sight at all times, in case we might decide to eat something without them. LOL
    Oh Sue this cracked me up!!!!!! LOL!

Not far from where I live a dog was stolen out of her fenced in yard. Her humans have been running an ad in our local paper for over 5 years begging for her return. It isn't in the paper every day but maybe once a month. I just can't imagine someone doing such a thing but it happens.

My dogs are always in the house if I am not home. My yard is fenced in with a 6' wooden privacy fence so they aren't visible from the street, but I just couldn't even think of leaving them outside without me, *Nervous Nellie*, watching over them. I am sure there are very rural areas where this would not be a problem at all, but unfortunately I just don't trust humans.

Originally posted by Foam
    What are people getting out of stelaing other people's best friends?! It angers me to no end..this is hoorible. The poor things probably ended up in labratories, or with backyard breeders.
    This is what they get out of it, Money....

"Some thieves may sell the dogs, sometimes at flea markets, Tillerson said. But without papers documenting a dog's pedigree, it would be difficult to sell it for its full value.

But thieves can sell pets to big commercial breeding operations known as " puppy mills," or to research laboratories, DeRose said.

Earlier this month, Arkansas authorities seized 125 dogs, many stolen from homes in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri. The dogs were seized from a man suspected of selling them to research firms for between $200 and $800.

Culprits are quick

Thieves will take dogs from yards, cars, homes or anywhere pet owners have them tethered, he said.

"All it takes these people is a few seconds," DeRose said. "If they see an opportunity, they take it. They'll reach into your back yard."
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That is so horrible! Thinking that those family pets are in research labs makes me sick. Those kind of places shouldn't even be allowed to operate. I hope the heartless people that participate in this get their karma returned soon.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Lets just say,
    God help the person who takes my dog!!!!
    law aside hed pay big time!!!!
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

A great article Liz, Perry and Daisy are never alone, although
    they would put up such a fuss I think the person would run away.
    We always take our dogs outside and stay with them even though we have a double fence and gate. They are never alone under any conditions, we have learned that from a bad experience.
    Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy