Thread: Dog raises paw.

Dog raises paw.

My dog as been doing something weird. When I rub it, it lifts its paw over my forearm and keeps it there. Sometimes out of no where, it'll come up to me and touch me with it's paw.

Does this mean it needs something? If so, what could it be trying to tell me?

My Britts use to do that and Merilyn does that when he is chewing on his hoof or when he want's to play or if we are holding something that he wants.

rennie

He's just being affectionate and cute! Alot of dogs do that.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Actually I've heard this can be a dominance thing... as cute an act as it may be! someone correct me if I'm wrong please!

facebook

Mika does it all the time, only because she doesn't want the petting to stop. She just loves being touched. I don't see it as a dominance thing.

My dad had a dog that would pull his arm over to him to love on her. That was her way of asking for affection. My Missy does it now too, but she also shakes and high fives and I think it's her way of asking to play.

In the dog world, usually a dog will paw at another dog (or give paw) when it wants to play. How the other dog perceives the dog giving paw determines the interaction between them. If the dog assumes it as a play move then the dogs begin a play session. If the dog interprets it as threatening it will either back away or a fight will occur.

Assuming your dog is well trained to humans touching it, having your dog give you his paw is a good thing. It indicates your dog enjoys your touch and desires more of it. So basically your dog is saying "I like that feeling when you rub or touch my paw, please do it again".

I do not believe it is a dominance issue although I have heard others say it is. My Dixie will have you rub her paws until they fall off if you let her. When I rub them for her you can see the look of pleasure it gives her when you look into her eyes. When I tell her "NO PAW" she puts it down and is content to have me touch or pet her some where else. But her paws are her favorite things to have touched. I believe letting a stranger rub her paws shows how comfortable she is around humans and how much she loves them.

Maybe it was leaning on you or standing on your feet that was the dominance thing

facebook

I kind of think people are a bit quick to judge a specific behavior as dominant behavior in all situations when it actually depends upon the individual dog and situation. You could make the generalized statement "a dog growling at you is dominant or threatening" but some dogs just "talk" through growls. Tommy is quite a growly talker, the happier and more excited he is the more vocal and growly he is.

When I give him scritchies in some areas, he leans against me. Because it feels good! He's leaning towards what feels good is all. He loves to be in physical contact with people and have some part of him touching them.

Anyway about the paw thing, all my dogs have "offered me" their paws, especially when they are getting attention and scratches. I always get a paw offering along with kisses, to me I see it as their way of reaching out, or offering me something.

I just personally believe there isn't one set explanation for any specific behavior a dog may do. It should be taken on an individual basis, as dogs are individuals
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

My Maggie does that to Smokey when she wants whatever toy/chew
    that he has. With the paw & a whine, she always gets her way
    with Smokey.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt