Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep your indoor cats collared?

Oh Uabassoon - I feel your pain, because I recently lost a kitty too.

No matter what we do, it just sometimes isn't enough and a terrible, tragic accident occurs. I'm still reeling from my loss as well.

So maybe the chips and a couple of good photos are the best protection we can offer our kitties. In the meantime, we just have to give them lots of love every day.

Originally posted by Uabassoon
    I stopped putting collars on my cats because of Zasper death.
    Freckles, strictly an indoor cat, doesn't wear a collar, but is chipped.

About 1970, my cat Jerry, was licking and cleaning his chest. Suddenly a lower canine tooth caught in the buckle of his leather collar. Fortunately, he was sitting right in front of me when it happened. I had to cut the collar off. None of my cats ever wore a similar collar again.
    Last edited by Freckles; 11-04-2002 at 11:06 PM.

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

All of our cats and dogs are collared, for the chance they get loose outside. They all have a message with our number:

Help Me
    Find Home
    ###-###-####

The ones on the cats stretch. One time, our Rosie was using the handle on the heater register to scratch and her collar became hooked. Her just pulling away, pulled it over her head, no harm done.

I think we got those at Petco. The pictures on their web site do not show enough detail.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small

Hmmm.......maybe I shouldn't get the kitty started on piercing.....he might get carried away
    LOL None of my cats wear collars. They are strictly indoor cats. I used to have collars on Storm and Pepper but they hated them and my vet said that since they're indoor cats they really don't need collars. Sunny is microchipped and I'm going to get Storm and Pepper microchipped as well when they go to the vet for their annual check up.

All of my cats wer collars with identification. They are the elastic type that expand so they cannot risk choking to death. I too have had my cats get their teeth stuck intheir collars, usually it were kittens that had just worn a collar for the first time, and they eventually get used to the fact that there is something around their neck and there isn't much they can do about it.

I will be getting my cats tatooed when I have enough money. The thought of microchipping scares me. It's a devil satin thing. And I would rather have my cats heads cut off then go to hell, lol!

Tatooing is fairly common, especially for exotic pets. For cats, they just shave the ear and tatoo the inside. I have also thought of ear tags too.

Both Livvy and Cassy are microchipped and Livvy wears her collar constantly (Breakaway style). I try to keep a collar on Cassy due to his door-dartting (darting?) but he's adept at loosing them. At one time I kept his id on him on a halter, but the pet sitter kept taking the halters off saying it was dangerous....
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

How about a ring on their leg, like they put on birds, with the address/phone number on it? Do you think that would be safer than collars? Just a suggestion. I have no idea how cats would react to a ring on their leg. Also, just wondering, how do they microchip cats and how does it work?

Originally posted by popcornbird
    How about a ring on their leg, like they put on birds, with the address/phone number on it? Do you think that would be safer than collars? Just a suggestion. I have no idea how cats would react to a ring on their leg. Also, just wondering, how do they microchip cats and how does it work?
    I would guess cats would be more against a ring on their leg than the collar

As I have been told, microchip involves inserting a small chip under the skin between the shoulder blades, its about the size of a grain of rice I think. This chip or marker has a code that can be read by certain readers to give the code number which indentifies a database record of the pet, owner, location, maybe even a phone number.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Beau wears a collar, Felicia doesn't because she fights it. After what I have been reading, I am considering tatooing or microchiping.

I have indoor only kitties and none of them are collared. Mostly becuse they're all still kittens and I could never find a collar small enough for them not to get out of...then I worry about choking, Scout's big enough to wear one now and since he's the ony one with an outdoor fascination he most probably will get a collar and tags. Actually he has a Harley Davidson collar and his rabies tag...I'm just waiting to go to Petsmart to make one of those tags with his name any my phone number. I just know he's going to hate it.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I just got the boys chipped two weeks ago. I feel better.
    It is not fail-safe. Like you all know, someone has got to FIND your cat. If they just disappear...well, it's better that nothing.
    What I'm waiting for is a tracking device, possibly on the GPS system, where if your cat goes missing you can find his location. (I suppose if this were possible, they'd to it for those 'fur-less cats' (kids))

We could use it in case of fire, when the cats go in the closets.

Please, someone invent that.

My cats all wear collars . They are also of the elastic type ; they cannot get choked ... . I buy those with a tiny bell on it . This is the only reason why they are wearing their collar : I can always here where they are ... ! I feel more at easy knowing this ! Of course , I take Inka's collar off , everytime I comb her hair (she is a long-haired kitten ; looks like a Main Coon) .

Yup, all of them except Polly Paws. She rips out all her fur under the collar if I try to put one on her. They are also all microchipped and have ID tags on their collar. Glacier is tatooed too-i had that done before chips were popular. Hmm, that sounds a little obsessive doesn't it?
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving