Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabled person in Wal-Mart thrown out!

Hybrid View

Disabled person in Wal-Mart thrown out!

Because her service dog was a pit bull!

www.chloethepitbull .com/
    On the evening of February 8th, I was shopping at the Huntington Beach Walmart with my Service Dog (Chloe) and daughter for approx 1/2 hour. Chloe was extremely well behaved. The Customer Service Manager approached us and asked us to leave because “there are children in the store and we can't have a vicious breed in here.” I was stunned and went over Chloe's training, that she was an Ambassador for her breed, and emphasized what she was asking me to do was illegal according to 1990 American Disability Act 1990. The Walmart Customer Service Manager said that she represented the Store Manager's position as well, and she still did not feel comfortable with the dog in the store and asked us to leave. I again emphasized what she was asking was illegal and to carefully consider what she was asking me. She again asked if we could go, and then when I pressed her for it in writing, she said to finish my shopping quickly and not to linger. I told her I wanted to talk to the Store Manager and followed her upfront. After checking out, I asked her when he was coming - she said he look for us and is now busy. She confirmed it was his decision also and they just got off the phone. I said I would wait and to call him again, she said it would be a while and to go because “it won't matter.”

I left and called our OC HUGS Service Dog president. and then called the Store Manager with her conferenced in. I first confirmed his position that he wanted us to go because of our Service Dog's breed and he said and elaborated his prejudice opinions, stating they were an 'unstable and vicious' breed and banned from different cities. He said he was aware of the Service Dogs and their rights, but he had never seen a Pitbull Service Dog in his 20 years. He also emphasized that it was our responsibility to educate the public and we shared that is what are trying to do starting with him. He was closed minded in his opinions, rude and insensitive, and finally apologized when pressed for one. The incident is still on record and should have never happened.

We went back to the store two days later as we informed them that we would and approx 6 to 8 employees approached us stating that there was a big meeting and they couldn't believe it was blown out of portion. One employee even asked "did you break her of her craziness?" and then went on to say how he heard how the breed had a 'crazy' gene that made them go crazy and hurt people --- UGH!!! I was as polite as possible and informed him about the temperment test and the difference between human aggression and dog aggression, along with socialization and training, etc...
    There is a petition you can sign and you can send an online feedback to Wal-Mart and let them know how unhappy you are... trust me I already did it.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    That's OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!! Isn't that illegal? It should be!!!!
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Yes it goes against the Service Dog thing! Anyways I hope they get sued for it!!
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

A SERVICE DOG IS A SERVICE DOG- GET READY FOR A LAWSUIT WAL-MART! ( I assume this was in the US right?)

Any lawyer can handle this one- piece of cake.. ITS ILLEGAL!

I saw this on Dogster. Walmart needs a swift kick in the a$$. There are all kinds of service dogs for pete's sake!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    A SERVICE DOG IS A SERVICE DOG- GET READY FOR A LAWSUIT WAL-MART! ( I assume this was in the US right?)
    Period!

What's to sue for?

I could understand asking the state/local disabilities organization to get involved, request retraining for the supervisor, and do random compliance checks, but sue?

The damages were what, exactly?

That absolutely Terrible! Who cares what breed the dog is, its helping the person out with their disability, not killing the person! Gosh, some people in this world.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Wal-mart incident

I was just reading an article in the Tribunal I think it was. The reason for such a fuss being made at Wal-Mart about the pittie who was supposed to be a service dog, was because there were a lot of kids in the store at the time and the manager got worried. She apparently asked the woman for proof that her dog was a service dog and the woman refused and started a fuss, claiming her dog's "rights" The manager only wanted reassurance that the dog was indeed trained and safe, but the woman adamantly refused.
    If someone asked me for proof I wouldn't hesitate showing it. But our dogs wear a red and black tag, so the proof would be there. I think there is always two sides to every story.
    Sorry I didn't get any "links" or anything, but this was in the news that I get on the net.

Wal-mart incident

Thank you & thats what I said too.. There is always two sides to a story.. See I wondered why the dog did not have a collar or jacket on stating this.. The Wal-Mart I go too there is a guy every Saturday in there with his dog with a labeled jacket.. Your right why didnt the woman just show proof?? Because she just wanted to make a scene & which it worked..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

There is no legal reason to have to show any proof in the States. Service dog in the States do not have to wear any identifying vests, harnesses or tags. They do not have to be certified. And asking for proof is actually agianst the law. Legally there are only 3 questions a business can ask a service dog handler. Is that a Service Animal, Are you Disabled and What tasks is you Service Dog trained to do? Those are the only things they can ask. Since not all Service dogs wear gear and not all are certified asking for proof is not a legal requirement for Access.

In Canada the only proof that can be requested is a Dr.s note. Not certifacation or tags.

I was not there in Walmart so I do not know the whole story. I am only posting what can legally be asked. If you would like links to this I will gladly post them.
    Nicole

Nobody is talking about "legal" anything. Everyone knows the three "legal" questions stores can ask, so please could we do without the links.
    If the woman wasn't looking for trouble and her dog was in fact a SD then she could have shown proof as a matter of courtesy.
    Sounds to me like she was on some kind of bandwagon to attract attention from what I read.
    Our dogs have a black and red tag so it's evident to all that they are in fact service dogs.
    I would never attract attention to myself the way this woman did, I would have pulled out my ID.
    I always am interested in both sides of a story, the one sided ones always leave questions in my mind.
    This story sounded fishy and I guess it was. My opinion.

I didn't know that they couldn't ask for proof.
    I think they people should have to provide proof...
    If stores don't ask for proof then I'll start bringing mine wherever I go...
    Just kidding.

I merged these two threads, as the second "wal-mart incident" thread really is just part of this same thread/thought, and that way people didn't have to post the same thing over and over.
    I've Been Frosted