Tiger Ranch... not good news

From the newspaper today...

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...,4118519.story
    themorningcall.com
    Hundreds of sick, dying cats found in western Pa. shelter

By Dan Nephin

Of The Associated Press

March 15, 2008

Hundreds of sick and dying cats were retrieved Friday from a western Pennsylvania animal sanctuary after an undercover investigation by a former humane officer said it had become a ''slow-kill shelter.''

Humane officials and volunteers said it could take at least until today to remove all the animals from the secluded 29-acre property known as Tiger Ranch Farm, about 20 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

Six hundred to 700 cats were on the property and hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dead ones were believed buried on the land, said Howard Nelson, director of the Philadelphia-based Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which organized the raid.

''It's billed as a sanctuary, but no one person can take care of 750 cats,'' he said.

Owner Linda Bruno apparently meant well, but lost track of the needs of the animals she had hoarded for years, Nelson said.

''I found her to be in denial of the condition of the cats,'' he said.

Bruno, also known as Linn Marie, 45, was arraigned Friday on 13 counts of animal cruelty and neglect, but more charges were expected as subsequent cases were documented, Nelson said. It was not immediately clear if she had an attorney. She was being held in the Allegheny County Jail, unable to post $50,000 bond.

Animal control agents and sheriff's deputies arrived about 7 p.m. Thursday. By midday Friday, at least a dozen cats had been euthanized and more than 400 had to be medicated due to contagious diseases, officials said.

The SPCA got a search warrant after a seven-month undercover investigation in which Deborah Urmann, a former humane officer from Butler County who worked for Bruno once a week as a volunteer, recorded the operations using a button camera purchased over the Internet.

''She claims she's a no-kill shelter, but really she's a slow-kill shelter,'' Urmann said.

Urmann compiled up to 11/2 hours of video of the conditions in the fall.

Nelson said the animals were found in various places and conditions all over the property. Besides the hundreds of cats, Bruno had several dogs, several horses, a chicken and a goat.

That Is Such A Sad Story. The Pet Angel Army Has Been There Helping The Ones Who Are Passing On To Go To A Far Better Place.
    We Are Praying That As Many As Can Be, Can Be Restored To Good Health And Through The Miracles Of Our All Mighty Lord God Above Get A Furrever Home.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Y'know, every time I read or hear of a story like this, my heart hardens a little more toward people who say they became overwhelmed. No one person can possibly take care of that many cats alone and they know it. When they see that the number of cats is quickly growing, they know they should ask for help pronto but they don't. I do understand not wanting to turn away any animal but they certainly weren't helping them. At least if a cat is left to its own devices, it stands a chance of getting some food and maybe a responsible person finding it and giving it a home. When it's stuck in a shelter, its chances for survival and/or a quality life are slim unless there's a dedicated staff of people working there. How sad.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

So sad.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Here's an article about how people become animal hoarders.

Love, Columbine

Tiger Ranch volunteer dumbfounded

Hello All...I am new to this site and registered specifically for this topic.
    My grandma lives down the road from Tiger Ranch and I once volunteered there about 4 years ago for about a month. I brought strays to her from farms to get spayed and neutered at a cheap price so they didn't continue multiplying. When I went there, it was not as bad as it seemed to be on the news, but back then she only had 300 cats a year. This topic has really affected me because I know she is a nice person...but she could not say no. And I know she has been taken advantage of from people dropping cats off or saying their coming back after their fixed and they don't...However, I watched on the news that there was much more involved than overpopulation. I am shocked at what I have heard...I hope everything works out for the best. I hope she gets the help she needs and as many animals as possible survive. What hurts me the most is the fact that I have referred so many people to her on good intentions but had no clue about the situation. I hope all the animals I referred are of good health. Also, What I would like to see for Western PA or anywhere is a change of policy and funding for shelters and humane societies. Because of the financial difficulties today, when people find an animal, they can't afford to keep it, but want to help and find it a good home. They try to take it to humane societies, but they charge to take an animal and dog catchers are so hard to get a hold of. Also, many shelters are too quick to euthanize because they also are overwhelmed because people are not getting their animals spayed and neutered due to cost. So, people in this are resort to the local rescues like Tiger Ranch who don't charge and basically hand off the problem to give the burden to the rescue owners and they try their best to do what they can. It's unfortunate...I would like to see more spay and neuter awareness, more funding, and the willingness of the public to donate anything to their local shelters including old blankets. This is so nerve-racking to me. Thanks everyone for listening...hopefully we can prevent something like this from happening again with all of your love for pets and your willingness to educate others.
    With Love,
    Heartbroken