Thread: Just When You Think Things Couldn't Get Worse

Hybrid View

Just When You Think Things Couldn't Get Worse

OK, so we lost Gabby, Shadow had teeth/mouth surgery, Bo just got out of the hospital, only to have Sable (mom cat) there today. Sadly she has come down with the same throat condition as Gabby. They will be running more tests to try and figure out just what this is and what is causing it. It's all so scary and expensive. If this continues we will have to make some pretty sad decisions and choices. We have over 30 cats and no way can afford vet bills for all. Shadow was over $700, Bo was over $600, Gabby was montly shot of $30, and Blaze has an issue we have to medicate with monthly also.

Unfortunately a lot of our cats are getting up in the years, at least 10 - 13 and more and more will begin to happen. Let's hope Sable has a stronger immune system since she is much younger than Gabby was.

All blood work is coming back fine with all cats. Cultures are a different story.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Is there something that could be put in the food or something to boost the immune systems?

How awfully sad...I hope it stops with Sable, and that she and Bo recover.

Maybe the cheapest route (relatively speaking) would be to put them all on antibiotics?

HUGS and PRAYERS!!!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Is there something that could be put in the food or something to boost the immune systems?

How awfully sad...I hope it stops with Sable, and that she and Bo recover.

Maybe the cheapest route (relatively speaking) would be to put them all on antibiotics?

HUGS and PRAYERS!!!
    That might not be a bad idea. Waiting now for Kevin to get home from the vet and hope for at least some better news!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    L-Lysine.

--------
    I am so sorry to hear of the troubles. And I understand totally. Prayers for everyone.

Yes, I think Catty1's idea is a good one. It would probably be less expensive to get some Clindamycin and administer it yourself to your cats but Convenia is great. One injection and they're good for two weeks. I can definitely sympathize w/you and the vet expense. It comes in waves here. We go for a while w/no problems and then suddenly several get sick at once. The vet bills become crippling at times. I do hope that things improve for you and your furkids soon. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm so sorry for all your cats health problems, I know how you feel on a much smaller scale. I have a fraction of the cats you have and they have had alot of health issues. I was going to suggest L-lysine but I see someone already did, it's suposed to boost the immune system.

30 cats! wow, how do you have the room for them? seems like you could almost register as a cat rescue, and then I wonder if there are places where you could apply for some financial help? just a thought, I don't know how many cats are considered a rescue.

have you talked to the vets, maybe they can help you with the payments, let you pay the bills off on a monthly basis?

Quote Originally Posted by allmycats View Post
    I'm so sorry for all your cats health problems, I know how you feel on a much smaller scale. I have a fraction of the cats you have and they have had alot of health issues. I was going to suggest L-lysine but I see someone already did, it's suposed to boost the immune system.

30 cats! wow, how do you have the room for them? seems like you could almost register as a cat rescue, and then I wonder if there are places where you could apply for some financial help? just a thought, I don't know how many cats are considered a rescue.

have you talked to the vets, maybe they can help you with the payments, let you pay the bills off on a monthly basis?
    Actually our vets have given/gives us breaks wherever possible.

As far a room, we have a large outside cat run that they have access to along with the garage and the inside house. We have those that want nothing to do with coming in the house and will stay mainly between the garage (which has an a/c, food, water, beds) and the cat run. Surprisingly it all works out well. This is a very old picture but will give you an idea what the cat run looks like

And here's Sable

I'm so sorry. Fear over the kitties' health and anxiety over money is a horrible combination.

I hope that Sable can shake off her illness and that the vet figures out a way to stop it from spreading.

Lisa, consider the Convenia shot that Mary mentioned. Could a vet visit and give them all the one-time 2 week shot?

Or even come outside and do them in their carriers while they are in your vehicle?

HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The vets are feeling a bit confused over all this. Gabby had this for quite some time and now all of a sudden Sable has come down with it. The confusion is where did it start (cats are indoor only) and who/what is the host. We will all be working on solving this and hopefuly no others come down with it. Sable does seem to be handling it a bit better than Gabby. She at least has the desire to eat where Gabby didn't.

Woo Hoo...Sable ate dry food this morning!! All I've been able to get down her is baby food. Yee Haw....

All good wishes and prayers for Sable, and all your cats, to be well. That sounds promising that Sable ate some grownup food this morning.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Paws crossed for Sable to overcome what ails her and be up and about and into her usual routine in no time.

And for no others to catch "what ever it is."

Hugs to you and Kevin.

It's still touch and go with Sable. One day she'll eat and the next she won't. She is now hanging her head at the water bowl. I conveyed this to our vet yesterday and he said the shots she is given makes them more thirsty and urinate more. Her blood work came back excellent so no worries of diabetes or anything.

The good thing is she is so easy to pill. I just keep popping antibiotics and pain meds and hope she gets through this. So far no symptoms in the others so one can only hope.

When you say that Sable is hanging her head, do you mean as a horse does and as my Boo did? See attached pic. In this pic it appears as though he's looking at something but he isn't. He sat w/his head hanging like this and my vet felt that it was because he was in pain. The Metacam helps a lot but he still does it on occasion. I sure hope that your sweet Sable isn't in too much pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11