Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japser UPDATE 10-17-2010 new photos

Hybrid View

Japser UPDATE 10-17-2010 new photos

I have an update about Jasper.

He went to the vet for a simple yearly checkup, didnt even need vaccines or anything this time, and the vet fould his left hind leg, from the hick joint down, to be swollen.

Totally an unexpected problem as I had clipped his nailw within the past week and did not notice a thing wrong.

So we did all the right things......x-ray, blood work, round of antibiotics, would have gone on to an antiimflammatory drug, but he is already on Prednisone.

Bone looks fine, blood work normal/good, no change after antibiotics. nothing.

His foot does not hinder him, he does not limp, but I think if has gotten a little more swollen in the past week. (vet saw him 1 week ago AND 2 weeks ago)

The vet says we "could" do a biopsy, but it is not in an area to amputate. And at 12 years old, exactly HOW aggressive of a treatment would I wish to put him through? If it WERE cancerous, for example, how would we know that it has not already spread to other internal organs.

I guess what I need are many prayers that will keep Jasper with me for a long time yet.
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 10-17-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this. I sure hope that it's not cancer. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Poor Jasper, I hope that it is nothing invasive like cancer! How odd for his little foot to be swollen though.

Prayers and thoughts going up from me to you and Jasper. Get better soon Jasper!

I pray that Jasper just has an elderly creature's ailment, something pre-arthritic, and that he will be with you for a long time!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh goodness, of course prayers are going up right now. We're praying that Jasper will heal quickly and easily and that he'll be w/you for a loooong time, Jen.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Awww, prayers that it is nothing serious, and will go away. It's good that it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Prayers for Jasper.

It is possible that it is an insect or spider bite? My brother had a cat that got bit by a spider and it caused a big, swollen lump that burst. The vet cleaned it. I don't even think antibiotics were needed.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Just for the heck of it, I looked up "raspberry shaped sores" and came up with this ten dollar word: Treponematosis

In rabbits, it's a venereal disease...but some of what I indicated that there are several different forms. There are kinds that are painless, non-lethal, but certainly troublesome.

Hope Jasper is better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My son was born w/a big raspberry mark right at the top of his head just below the hair line. The dr. said that as he grew older, it would disappear completely and it did. I wonder if it could be the same thing although Jasper hasn't had it from birth, has he?
    Blessings,
    Mary

I just used raspberry as a description of its size and color. It is as hard as bone, just like the sweling of the entire foot.

Thoughts and prayers going up for Jasper. Hope the vet can shed some light on the new lump and that it can be taken off or healed easily.

HUGS for you Jenn.

Well I am now turning to Pet talk to help with Jasper's crucial decision.

To re-cap: The swelling in Jasper's foot has gotten to the point that there is an open lesion, and it oozes/bleeds.

As of this morning, his toes (which were not affected) also are swelling to the point that one wants to open up and ooze.

Wrapping his foot is an "ok" temporary solution, but I fear that I sometimes get it too tight, especially since the area seems to keep growing.

As the vet said to Charlie and me, you will probably reach a point where you are between "A rock and a hard place". I think I am there now.

The toe seems painful, a new symptom.

It has only been 1 week since the chest x-ray (the plan was to wait 4 weeks before re-x-raying.)

Here is where I need your opinion.

If Jasper was YOUR cat, would you amputate the leg even though he is 12 years old and possibly has cancer growing in other areas of his body? He might only have 6 months to live IF what the vet saw in the x-ray were cancerous.

Jasper is AMAZING!!!

He has been home for 3 days and doing so incredibly well.

Hear this story..... When Jasper came home, the fur in the inside of the right left leg had some mats (he is long haired, and at the point where they stopped shaving, his fur bunched up and started to knot)

Well, as a groomer THIS WOULD NOT DO!

But I was not about to torture him right away with brushing and the sound of the clipper (yesterday) scared him, so I left it go.
    By tonight, he had used his rough little tongue to perfectly comb out the hair on the inside of this leg.

AND hear this story...... He climbed the stairs to the second floor by himself when no one was watching (even though he was not suppose to) And then RAN back down, a little too fast for my liking, but he did it on his own. I am glad the stairs are carpeted though. WHEW.

So we have no worries about Jasper (except of course for what will happen in the future with the possible spread of cancer)

Jasper, glad to hear that you're doing so well, even taking the stairs! But listen, don't scary meowmy so much by showing off what all you've learned to do right away ok? Hugs!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Amazing is right! That's the best news ever! Way to go, Jasper!
    Blessings,
    Mary