Thread: Sleep Apnea and CPAP masks

Hybrid View

Sleep Apnea and CPAP masks

Does anyone here have sleep apnea and wear a mask? If so, wha ype of mask and do you have any trouble?

I do not have sleep apnea (when you stop breathing in your sleep), but I was diagnosed with severe snoring (so ok, I snore like a freight train and wake myself up ) and had been getting on average 5 hours of sleep a night, despite laying down for 10 hours. Lets just say I was headachy, grumpy, and always tired. The diagnosis was in October.

We're now in January and I still can't get the mask right. I was crying in the doctor's office this morning from sheer frustration. The full face masks leak. No matter the size mask, no matter the brand, no matter how loose or tight I adjust them. Nasal masks are a smidgen better.

I've been using a nasal pillow for the past month and actually like it. But it aggravates scar tissue on the inside of my left nostil. Actually, it feels like someone is taking sandpaper inside my nose and scratching all night long.

I got mask number so-many-masks-tried-that-I've-lost-count this morning. Can you understandd my frustration? The newest mask is so new the doctor opened the shipping box in front of me and took ten minutes trying to figure out how to adjust it and had to read the informational booklet; then he asked me what the name and model number of it is.

Oh, goodness, I have been told by reliable sources that I snore terribly, but I sleep right through it, and thankfully, Paul can, too. In fact I warned him before I married him that if he was a light sleeper, he might wanna call the whole thing off. Thankfully, he could sleep through a tornado, no problem!

You'll be in our prayers.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My son uses a CPAP, but doesn't use the full mask. I don't know what it's called, but it's made of silicone and fits into the entrance to each nostril, so it's not at all bulky or stiff or restrictive. He likes it much better than the mask. Don't know if you understand what I'm trying to get across, but I really don't have a name for it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Blog Entries
    Catnapper,
    My husband has a nose piece called Comfort Classic. It fits over his nose & he has a harness that fits over the back of his head. The harness is attached on his forehead to a sponge type of material that is very soft & holds the top of the nose piece in place. The bottom strap attaches to the nose piece & can be adjusted. The head piece has velcro to make adjustments on the forehead & on the nose piece there are places where the strap goes through so it can be tightened to fit properly on both sides. I hope this is maybe helpful.

Do you dream? We were told when you dream you are in the deepest part of your sleep & should wake up well rested.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post

Do you dream? We were told when you dream you are in the deepest part of your sleep & should wake up well rested.
    I dream vivid dreams several times a night. Every night. I still wake up tired because my dreams are interrupted by snores

Pomtzu, it sounds as if your son uses a nasal pillow l ike me. I like it, I just wish it didn't irritate my sinuses. I keep squirting gel and such in my nose to help with the pain but its not enough. Sigh.

I know three people that were dx'd with SA and used the CPAP. All three of them struggled with the fit, the sleeping on the back, and had minimal relief from it. All three of them went on to lose significant amounts of weight (two of these three people were a couple, not everyone I know loses weight), and all three of them are sleeping fine, and feeling rested, without the CPAP. I don't know that any of them went back to the sleep doctor or not, so I don't know if the SA went 'away' or is dormant, or what.

My brother had severe sleep apnea, unfortunately he never splurged for the machine, he died at 51, I often wonder if the lack of oxygen at night led to his heart problems, he wasn't a smoker nor a drinker and he wasn't overweight at all.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Just back from the doctor with yet another new mask HELP!

My husband has severe sleep apena, he wears the mask & all. Two things that might help you that we had to learn on our own: prop up the head of your bed by at least 5 - 8", that will help with the snoring; and try sealing your mask with a touch of petrolum jelly along the outter ridge, that should not make the mask move without strapping it on so tight.

Both my FIL & BIL stopped wearing the mask because they thought it was uncomfortable, please do NOT stop wearing it without your doctors knowledge, it is very dangerous, it is like stopping your high blood pressure pills because you feel good.....not good!!

Good luck finding a mask. Tim was very fortunate that it fit him and he is please with it. Oh, and I am pleased too....now i can sleep with out being woken up!!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

I was also going to suggest petroleum jelly to help seal the mask to your skin, too. It certainly would hurt less than synching it so tightly! Even putting something else in there, between your skin and the mask, a cut piece or fleece or felt, depending how big the gap is, might make a more comfortable fit.
    I've Been Frosted

They told me to never use petroleum jelly because it makes the mask slip more, and therefore break the seal easier.

I honestly think the mask I got tonight will work == lets cross our fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    They told me to never use petroleum jelly because it makes the mask slip more, and therefore break the seal easier.

I honestly think the mask I got tonight will work == lets cross our fingers.
    Hmm, silly putty instead? Spackle? Hopefully the new mask will just plain work!
    I've Been Frosted

Mine is a Respironics Comfort Gel nasal mask, size small.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I finally found the right mask! I am sooo overjoyed. I am still getting used to it, but its as close to perfect as I could hope to get.

YAAAY!!! Sweet dreams!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda