If you're going to say "here we go again", then don't, please.

I have friends, a young couple that I've known for a long time. I met them while we all worked at the Hartford Courant. They have 3 great kids and are struggling because of the economy. We talk on the phone several times a week just to keep up. Her husband, an acupuncturist, can't practice because of the cost of the fees. He was able to find a job at Staples.

Well, the newspaper that Viv was an editor for, laid her off. She's been walking the pavement while the kids are in school (they're young) looking for a job in the hopes they'll have money for gifts for the kids. The whole situation is really starting to depress her. Not for her, but for her children. They don't qualify for state assistance or food stamps.

I also have to tell you that when I was in a bind (absolutely no food), Viv and Branden sent me 2 gift cards to Stop & Shop.

I came home the other day to an envelope in my mailbox from my brother. Usually I get a gift card to Land's End. I mean, how many freaking pairs of socks does one really need.

I opened the envelope and there was a check for alot of $$$ To say I was speechless is an understatement. I immediately paid MY bills, got a new bed that I needed badly (sleeping on a mattress on the floor ring a bell for anyone???)

The thought of those kids having nothing under the tree really chapped my butt. So, in honor of the holiday and another "Pay It Forward", I sent them $125 (a money order) so they could get the kids gift, or even food if they needed it.

She called me yesterday sobbing on the phone telling me I have no idea how much this means to her and Branden and that now they can give their kids a nice Christmas.

I was more than happy to do it. They're great people and have really had a streak of bad luck. Raising 3 kids as well can't be easy either.