I work in a furniture store. Most people consider a new sofa set to be a big-ticket purchase, but my questions is for anything bought over $1000.... washer/dryer, jewelry, car, etc.

I've always known sales people have different approaches. Some are energetic, others laid back. Some push with pressure, others bargain, others have the "take it or leave it" attitude.

Lately, I've noticed a huge gap between an honest sales sperson who will tell you everything, even if it might make you change your mind. While others will sell you something no matter if they think you're making a bad decision.

An example that happened this weekend. A customer came in looking for a white leather sofa. We only have a creamy pebbly matte finish leather, which is a big dirt magnet. I told the customer the truth: that she'd kick herself for it and I would recommend going slightly darker, and to something with a sheen. A sheen will help fight surface dirt. The customer replied that she had her heart set on white. I explained that white is fine IF she was prepared for the reality of it.

My coworkers all looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. They said that if she wants what she wants, then its up to her to decide it was a mistake.

A $3000 mistake? I can't in good conscious sell something I think the customer will regret..... if they decide to go with their heart's desire after I explained the cons, then I did my job. My coworkers feel I went above and beyond. They say that my job is to sell furniture, not be someone's guardian angel.

I tell people when I think their fabric choice will become a nightmare with pets. I tell them if I think the colors will not work. I tell them the honest truth. They seem to always accept the truth and if what I say goes against what they want, they either look elsewhere or keep and open mind.

Funny thing.... I have the least number of returns or complaints of anyone in the store. Hmmm, might my truthfullness be the reason? Happy customers happy with their choices?