Thread: Nature vs Nurture

Threaded View

Nature vs Nurture

Anyone familiar with this age old debate? What are your thoughts on it?

For those who aren't familiar with it I'll give a brief summary of it and how it relates to dogs.
    Basically there are 2 beliefs. One is that a dog is born a clean slate and will learn everything through it's environment. It's temperment will be shaped through it's experiences in life, and how it is brought up (nurture). The second is that a dog is born with it's temperment hardwired in, passed down from it's parents (nature). How it is is how it will always be. ie)A shy pup will be a shy dog.

If I had been presented with this issue only a few years ago I would have said nurture wins all the way. I believed anything could be solved if a dog was brought up in the proper environment and given the proper training.
    Now, after meeting a lot more dogs, and spending time with breeders, I'd have to say that I believe it's a combination of nature and nurture, with a heavy emphasis still going towards the nurture side. I do believe temperment is in part inherited. If not, breeders would not put so much stock in it. however I also believe that given the right training methods in most cases, a dog can overcome almost any temperment issue.

So what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Shelteez2; 11-15-2003 at 11:44 PM.