Thread: Why does she whine in her pen?

Why does she whine in her pen?

My 14 week old Westie has a crate and a pen. She loves her crate, and sleeps there at night. She is sometimes in there during the day, but usually during the day and in the evenings she is either with me on a leash or running free for little periods of time (fully supervised) or in her pen.

She is fantastic, except she whines constantly while in her in pen. The pen is a good size (about 1.5 square metres or more). In it I put in water, toys and a bed. The crate is not in there.

In the pen she can not see us all the time. Thats probably the problem she has. But because I move about the house alot, there is no better position than the one its in.

I never give her attention when she whines. I have had her for a week. Do I just ignore the whines when she in the pen, and she will get used to it

welll it good you don't pay any attention when she whines,

the reason why she does not whine in her crate is because usally crates are like a safe place it has a top and it feels safe in there, also she can't see you moving around in the crate very easilly.

in the pen she can see you moving around alot and that upseting because she wants to be with her mommy, which you just need to keep on ignoring her and she will get the picture that, she will not get her way, she is just testing you keep it up! DOn't pay any attention to her, and then once she stops whining let her out, so she is awarded basically that she stoped whining! good luck puppy are hard, but there a joy, take advantage becaause they grow up fast.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Thanks. Yes, puppies sure are alot of work...hard hard work! Anyway, I tried putting her crate in the pen today. It fits ok, with still room to play in the pen. I left the pen closed, with the crate in it...the door to the crate open.

Guess what? She didn't whine.

But if there is a reason that I shuold not have crate in the pen, please let me know.

no i personally don't see nothing wrong with it, i was right sdhe dosn't whine because its like a safe bed my dog never whine but she loves her crate
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)