Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pictures from Haines Alaska - Update Post 9 **We have an Eagle!**

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen and Misty

I am an intern for the American Bald Eagle Foundation.
    They bring in 2 interns every season to help them run the museum during "cruise ship season",
    once the cruise ships stop coming (Sept 16) half the town shuts down
    (including the Foundation) so there isn't much work, if any.

Who hangs around to put on the annual "Alaska Bald Eagle Festival" from
    November 7-11, 2007?

Web page >>> http://www.baldeaglefestival.org/info.html

Looks like a pretty Big Deal - who runs it if "half the town shuts down" after Sept 16?

Beautiful photos!! Mind if I come visit you? I'd love to climb to the top of that mountain too. Looks like you are having a great time! I hope the eagle recovers too, what a stunning bird.

* Eagle Notes *

Where's da BIRD??

"Haines, the Eagle", not so happily *stuffed* into his Dawg Crate / Eagle Limo ...
    made it safe & sound to Jaimie Sorg's care at the Juneau Raptor Center.

Here's the first of I hope many Hospital Progress Reports on "Our Bird" >>>

"I do think it's a male, and so far he exhibits all the signs of what we call a "failure to thrive".
    Very underweight, muscle atrophy, bright-grass green mutes, and a voracious appetite.

So far, he is doing well eating as much fish as I can put in front of him.

Take care and I'll be in touch with an update to all this.......
    /s/ Jaimie Sorg, Juneau Raptor Center
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone interested in contributing some funds to help support Haines' "overhaul and tune-up"?

I'm sure the Raptor Center would appreciate some donations towards his care.
    Think about it and post your thoughts.
    Meanwhile, a few PT Prayers would help him a lot!

/s/ Phred

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    "I do think it's a male, and so far he exhibits all the signs of what we call a "failure to thrive".
    Very underweight, muscle atrophy, bright-grass green mutes, and a voracious appetite.

So far, he is doing well eating as much fish as I can put in front of him.

Take care and I'll be in touch with an update to all this.......
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone interested in contributing some funds to help support Haines' "overhaul and tune-up"?

I'm sure the Raptor Center would appreciate some donations towards his care.
    Think about it and post your thoughts.
    Meanwhile, a few PT Prayers would help him a lot!

/s/ Phred

Wow Phred!!! I can't beleave you contacted them! Thats so cool of you. We have been keeping a pretty close eye on this guy, I'm sure there sick of hearing from us, lol. Hopefully they will fix him up and get him back here asap. His poor mate sits on the beach and crys for him.

As for your question about the Festival, well you have asked the right person! The American Bald Eagle Foundation acctually host and runs the fesitval. The festival is a HUGE deal around here. We start planning it January 1st and don't stop till it's over and everyone has packed up and gone home. The half of town that shuts down are the tourist attractions. Shops, tour companies etc. close down and there workers go back down to there home in the lower 48. While this may not seem like a big deal it is in a small town. Chilkat Guides (a tour company in town) alone brings in almost 200 employees from out of state every year. Since there are only 2,500 residents of Haines, thats a lot of people to leave in one months time. Not to mention that there are at least 5 or 6 other tour companies in the small town, most who survive off of bringing people in from out of state. The shops that sell trinkets and souvaniers shut down at the end of the tour season, no need for them to stay open. The grocery store, Quick Stop (mini-mart) and most restaurants stay open all winter. The bars are definitly open, they make tons of money being one of the only things you can do when theres 6 to 7 feet of snow (no joke) outside. As for the foundation, we close down the last day of Sept and open up for Festival week and then shut back down.

wolf_Q - You can come only if you bring Nebo and Keva! They would love it here, there are about a million huskies just runnin around this town

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Sunday Night - the "Haines" Report

"Haines, the Eagle" got this Sunday evening Hospital Report >>>

"Our boy has some breathing issues as of late this afternoon,
    a deeper gaspy rhythm going on.

He is being treated with two drugs, first is a antibiotic called "baytril".
    It's an injectable at about $ 50.00 a bottle with probably 20 injections depending on amount.

He is also getting a oral antifungal called "sporonox" at (memory a bit faulty) $ 136.00 a bottle and about 30-40 doses a bottle.

Since bringing him into the clinic he has also been given lactated ringers ( hydration fluids) subcutaneous at $ 10.00.
    /s/ Jaimie Sorg"

GOLL-EE!
    Eagle Tune-Ups aren't cheap!
    Sounds like Our Boy could use some PT Prayers!

Hang in there, Haines ... we're all *rootin* for ya!

My donation is in the mail and on the way! Poor lil' guy!! Phred, how do you get updates before we do LOL. Hopefully he will get better soon and be back souring the skies of Alaska with his mate who misses him dearly.

Ashley

"Haines" Flew Over the Bridge ...

Sad news came in last night from Jaimie Sorg at the Juneau Raptor Center ...

"I have nothing good to report tonight.

Our boy, "Haines", died this afternoon.

He acted better this morning, but that's the way with wild animals, they don't show you weakness. I can't tell you exactly what killed him except it was in his lungs or airway."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANY THANKS to Ashley, Jaimie, and Janet for ALL that you guys did
    for "Haines" --- I'm sure he appreciated your kind efforts.
    (Not every Eagle gets to go for an AirPlane Ride!)

The next time you see a Bird's Shadow *swish* across your lawn;
    It's probably "Haines", goin Fishin at The Bridge.

Soar High, Haines ~ You've got the Wings of an Eagle.

Rest In Peace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donations, In Momory of "Haines", will be appreciated by:

Juneau Raptor Center
    PO Box 34713,
    Juneau, AK 99803
    Please: CHECKS ONLY - they can't process Credit Cards or PayPal.

Wow, those pictures are absolutly beautiful! What an amazing place.

Great job with catching the Eagle. Crossing fingers for a whole recovery! Prayers coming to the stunning Eagle.

Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

I opened my email and got the same news. I feel like I've been hit by a ton of bricks. It's hard to think that the eagle I helped early in this week has passed away. I really cared about that guy and wanted to see him back in the wild.

Poor Haines, may he rest in peace and his mate find some comfort in the fact that we tried to help. I just wish I could let her know...

Ashley

I am so sorry You must be so sad. Everyone wanted to hear he was better and out flying in the wild. You did everything you could and he thanks you for that...
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!