Thread: Adorable puppy barking - need some input

Adorable puppy barking - need some input

I have neighbors who live right behind me. My family room faces towards their backyard. They are a very nice family who just moved in about a month ago and we’ve had a couple nice chats. They also have a Golden Retriever puppy whose about 3 to 4 months old and absolutely adorable!

What is happening is that he a pastor and they are at church a couple nights during the week. They leave “Lily” out in the back yard during that time. She of course, wants attention and barks and barks. I go in to watch TV at about 6:30 and at 9:30, Lily is still out there barking. I had already spoken with the wife about Lily barking all afternoon one day and she was very understanding. They are not neglectful at all with her and I can hear the whole family in the backyard at times playing with her.

After the 3rd night of her barking for hours, I wanted to go talk to them but they weren’t home yet and I needed to go to bed. I wrote them a note which I hope came across as non-accusatory and just asked them to put Lily inside when they’re gone in the evening. I did include my name and number. Was there a better way to handle this? Also, puppies are going to bark and I understand that. What do owners do with their puppies when their little and barking?

There's not much that you can do. Owners of puppies usually try to keep them out of a situation where they will bark on endlessly because once a dog becomes used to this kind of routine it will be a difficult problem to break.

Pet Art
    Last edited by emc; 05-22-2008 at 08:46 PM.