Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying pet meds via internet

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    If it's only a few dollars that I would be saving, then I just buy from the vet. It's the big buck items that make buying on line wiorthwhile.

For example - the Advantix that I buy for the dogs is $80 for 6 doses from my vet, so that's only enough for 3 months for both pups. I pay $96 for 12 doses from the Australia supplier and will last for 6 months. Now that's a HUGE savings, and my last order had a special of free shipping too.

The Heartguard is $21.50 from my vet for 6 doses, and when I buy 2 boxes I always get a $5 mail-in rebate slip. On line prices for this product are the same and more, with no rebate, plus I would have to pay shipping, so buying this thru the vet is cheaper. Myndi's thyroid med thru the vet is only $10 for 100 pills and she only take one per day, so that wouldn't be worth the bother of trying to find them cheaper.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I just checked vetshoponline against entirelypets.com and they much less expensive. I've now added this to my favorites. Thanks for the info pomtzu.
    WAH!! I love entirelypets and now am very sad to realize I have been overpaying!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    WAH!! I love entirelypets and now am very sad to realize I have been overpaying!
    So hop on the Australia bandwagon.....
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I do not want to rock the boat but I compared prices on pet flea meds and
    Equine-mega-store is 12 dollars cheaper than Entirelypets. That was the case for me since Koko's weight requires the 55 to 110 lb size. Shipping is $5
    for any shipment and delivery is FAST.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Rock on Bill! That's why we comparison shop.

I checked them for the Advantix strength that I use - the 8-22 lb, and your site charges $35 for 3 doses, so that's almost as much as my vet charges. For 6 months it was $60. I think I'll stick with where I'm buying it now at $96 for 12 doses.

Thanks for the info tho. Maybe others here will find what they buy, cheaper where you buy yours.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    If it's only a few dollars that I would be saving, then I just buy from the vet. It's the big buck items that make buying on line wiorthwhile.

For example - the Advantix that I buy for the dogs is $80 for 6 doses from my vet, so that's only enough for 3 months for both pups. I pay $96 for 12 doses from the Australia supplier and will last for 6 months. Now that's a HUGE savings, and my last order had a special of free shipping too.
    You'd be able to save even more money if you buy the largest dog Advantix and then you measure it out for each dog. You just need to know how much they weigh and what dose to give them. Then you tape off the amount on a syringe and you also need a container with a lid to keep the unused portion in until the next time you need it. I use an empty plastic testube that I got from my vet. I've saved so much money by measuring mine out over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    You'd be able to save even more money if you buy the largest dog Advantix and then you measure it out for each dog. You just need to know how much they weigh and what dose to give them. Then you tape off the amount on a syringe and you also need a container with a lid to keep the unused portion in until the next time you need it. I use an empty plastic testube that I got from my vet. I've saved so much money by measuring mine out over the years.
    I'd thought about that, but I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about doing it that way. With my luck, something would get screwed up. I know it's not rocket science, but I feel safer just buying the correct dosage.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Thats my question too??
    Last year I tried getting a script for Advantage but my vet wouldn't give it to me since she had never seen Autumn yet. I'm having a major problem getting Autumn to the vet, had to cancel 3 appointments because she runs away and I just can't get her into the carrier, I have another appt. in two weeks. Anyway since I couldn't get the Advantage from my vet, I ordered it from 1800PetMeds and it's exactly the same. The shipping was free also.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I am not an expert on this subject because I buy dog products for my dogs and cat products for my cats and I only buy them from my veterinarians because neither of them will provide written prescriptions for mail order purposes. They both are so reasonable on our vet charges, I don't mind them getting the up charge on the heartworm and flea meds. But, if I'm not mistaken, there is a major ingredient difference in the topical flea meds given to dogs versus cats and the dog meds include something that could be toxic to cats. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics, but I would not risk using a dog flea treatment on my cats. I'll try to get the specifics and post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    But, if I'm not mistaken, there is a major ingredient difference in the topical flea meds given to dogs versus cats and the dog meds include something that could be toxic to cats. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics, but I would not risk using a dog flea treatment on my cats.
    Yes - I've read that too, but since I don't have any cats, it was something that was never an issue for me. There are warnings not to use on cats since there is an ingredient that cats cannot metabolize, tho I don't know what it is. I didn't mention it earlier in this thread, since there are folks that use the dog med on their cats, and with no adverse reactions.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Advantix cannot be used on cats but the ingredient in Advantage is the same. I even called Bayer to make sure. It is called Imidacloprid 9.1% I buy the 4ml Large dog tubes and so I can easily dose all of my cats with only one tube. But Advantix has something that cannot be used on cats. It would be easy to confuse the two Advantage and Advantix.

I found this site: http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html and it explains exactly the process I use. Some people will not approve but to me it is just good sense. I have spoken with several folks who also have the information shared with them by their vets. Some rescue folks and shelter folks also use it. Yes I suppose the ease of buying the individual tubes is more convenient but with multi-cat homes, this is a real cost saver. I use an insulin syringe that make it very easy to get the exact dose. It is a good option for me. Look, a tube of Advantage is about $10-$12 each for either a 1 pound kitten or a 55 pound dog. I can pay $60 to treat each cat individually with five small tubes or spend $12 for a large size and dose everyone.
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 06-30-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    Advantix cannot be used on cats but the ingredient in Advantage is the same. I even called Bayer to make sure. It is called Imidacloprid 9.1% I buy the 4ml Large dog tubes and so I can easily dose all of my cats with only one tube. But Advantix has something that cannot be used on cats. It would be easy to confuse the two Advantage and Advantix.

I found this site: http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html and it explains exactly the process I use. Some people will not approve but to me it is just good sense. I have spoken with several folks who also have the information shared with them by their vets. Some rescue folks and shelter folks also use it. Yes I suppose the ease of buying the individual tubes is more convenient but with multi-cat homes, this is a real cost saver. I use an insulin syringe that make it very easy to get the exact dose. It is a good option for me. Look, a tube of Advantage is about $10-$12 each for either a 1 pound kitten or a 55 pound dog. I can pay $60 to treat each cat individually with five small tubes or spend $12 for a large size and dose everyone.
    There are several rescues that I work with and I was told the exact same thing. Everyone can spend their money as they see fit. I choose to spend less. It allows me more freedom to save for those things where there isn't a cost savings available.

The "drug" market in the US is so bizarre. You can pay top dollar for an RX drug, OR, do what the pharmacists tells you to do- just take twice as much as the OTC, and save your money. There isn't any difference. Same with other meds, sometimes, and with pet meds, too.

My former vet was the one who actually told me about buying the largest dog advantage and then measuring it out for my cats. He had already checked the list of ingredients on both the cat and dog packages and they're the same. I'm sure that there are some flea products that should only be used exclusively for either dogs or cats though and I have heard that Advantix is one of them. The money that I save allows me to take care of my cats even better.

For the person with Autumn: Advantage is sold over-the-counter now. I've seen it at Petsmart for a few months now.

AdvanTAGE can be split for cats (same concentration of active in the drug product.) AdvanTIX has some extra stuff that's toxic to cats. In fact, on the commercial for the OTC products by Petsmart they particularly point out not to use Advantix for cats.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    Being in the veterinary field, I am not for buying medications online. No, not because I am not getting paid, but because every time you are prescribed a medication, your pet should have an exam and blood work done. Some medications animals are on need to have the levels checked, to check and see if the medication is indeed doing what it's supposed to be doing. People can purchase medications online thinking they know what their pet needs, when indeed they don't.

Like you guys have said, you have a prescription from your veterinarian faxed/mailed to the online pharmacy, to then be filled and shipped to you. That is different. It's the people who just think they need this, and buy it. I personally think that online pet pharmacy's should require blood work from the veterinarian prescribing, but that's just me.
    Agreed!

I've seen faxes come in at the hospital for heartworm meds in the wrong size, or other meds in the wrong strength. Makes me wonder what these people are thinking?

Most of the time the faxes come in for people who's pets we've not seen in 5 years or sometimes never seen at all! That is in violation of the patient/doctor relationship needed to prescribe meds, it would be illegal to ok a prescription in that case. Many times it's people just trying to get out of the yearly heartworm check up or follow up lab work, but all those faxes get sent back as 'denied, exam/lab work required'.

Also those online places sell so cheap because many times their products are gotten illegally, or could even be counterfeits. In a struggling economy who would you rather support: a) the huge multimillion dollar corporation that doesn't give jack about your pet, only your money or b) your local vet who takes care of your critters in addition to providing legal, and safe meds for your pet? I know that many times those online places hire a 'vet' on staff just to sign prescriptions for an animal they have never, nor will ever, see. That is illegal to dispense medications that way.

Just remember if your vet isn't getting money from their expensive inventory of meds they have to keep in stock for your convienence, they will raise their fees on other things to maintain an income level needed to survive in this economy. Otherwise they will quickly go out of business and you'll be on the search for a new vet. JMHO

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022