Thread: 21 Things You Should Never Buy New

Hybrid View

I don't agree with a lot of this list.

I understand it might be 'easier on the budget' to buy used baby clothes...since they're going to get small anyway, but seriously...how much do new baby clothes cost anyway?

I notice a HUGE difference in the fabric after washing and washing and washing my child's clothes. The fabric doesn't stay the same. Each 'size' has lasted him at least 2 months so far, so I get my money's worth. For me, if you can afford it, give your child the best. I probably wouldn't buy many clothes for our next boy, because I have so many nice clothes from our first, but I'd rather not be dressing him in used clothes that I don't know how many children used.

Diapers leak into clothes. Babies spit all over their clothes. They drop food on them. Yes they can get washed and cleaned, but they're not the same. I wouldn't dress my child in old, used, and abused clothes when I can buy him new ones, unless its an older sibling's clothes. With the amount of gifts he got, I don't feel like we've spent much on his clothes anyway...and he only wears new.

As for a new house vs. an old house...its a matter of preference. I personally feel there's no greater joy than seeing your house as a piece of land...getting to choose your favorite model, your favorite interiors, design your own backyard. Its fun, and I personally wouldn't ever go for an old home if I have the option of a brand new one in the same area.

New cars are fun to buy. I agree that the value goes down the moment you leave the dealer, but you'll probably end up keeping the car for much longer than you would keep a used car.

I wouldn't buy used jewelry because its not always that easy for the untrained eye to distinguish real gold from fake. What if they're cheating? Gold, silver, diamonds, etc...I'd only buy from a reliable store.

I agree with you on the car thing, Popcornbird! I have nothing against used cars, but we have bought new and we keep it until it won't run anymore. With used cars, you never know what's gonna "go" when.

There are many second-hand places around here that sell kids clothes, and the quality is excellent - especially for the smaller sizes and the fancier outfits, and everything has been professionally cleaned, they just lack the tags. They even make sure things that come in that were never worn get a thorough cleaning.

Being the third kid in my own family, and having both an older sister and two older girl cousins, lots of my clothes were hand-me-downs and hand-me-down-downs, and I never suffered for it! There was, for most of my childhood, a bag of clothes in the attic labeled "Too small for Jody, too big for Karen" and each season we'd take it down, see what now fit me, and she'd add her outgrown stuff. It was kinda fun!
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with Karen for kids clothes, some are still very good, have been worn only 2-3 times because parents have bought many or received them as presents, or because the clothes were bought before the season and when the season was here the clothes did not fit anymore. I sometimes buy them second-hand, and I also sell them, and they are almost new. For me, it's an opportunity to buy expensive brands for the price of cheap clothes and my daughter is very happy with them. She does not make the difference, it's only the parents that see the difference But of course, I do not buy or sell clothes with stains or damages.

Cars

I've also bought a car new. It was the 3rd car I've had, but the 1st brand new. The reason I bought it new was because I didn't want to have to deal with the possible problems of a used car. I may never buy a car new again though, my car is all paid off now and in great condition for only being 5 years old. I love my car...even if I don't take it to the car wash often.