Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now THAT'S a fat cat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
    That although Powder has found a new home, NONE of the 500 people wanting to provide him with a new home were interested in looking at the 200+ cats left in the shelter where Powder was fostered. I can't believe that! It's like 499 people just wanted him to exploit him as some kind of freak show - how can you want one cat simply because of the media attention he's been given? Very sad reflection on some people's natures. Glad that Powder is going to a loving home.
    Please print a link to the article that said that. I doubt that they called all of the 500 people, so I don't know how they can say that none of the people were willing to provide a new home to another cat. After learning that Powder found a home, some may, indeed, have gone to a shelter to get another cat.

Sure no worries Ginger's mom

It's from one of our major newspaper websites - The New Zealand Herald.
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!

I just emailed the Camden Shelter to get an update from them. Hopefully I will hear soon if Prince Chunk's case did increase the number of kitties (and even doggies) adopted.

PT Prayers going out!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for posting that. It is extremely unfortunate that the employee at the shelter said that. One of my co-workers filled out an application for Powder, and she is now getting another cat from the shelter. I suppose she could be the only one out of thousands, but I would hope not.

I heard that Princess Chunk got a home. They aren't disclosing the new adopters for fear of too much media publicity.

Have a wonder life girl. You certainly deserve it!!

It's a damn shame that none of the hundreds of applicants wanting to adopt Princess didn't open their hearts to one of MANY other shelter cats so deserving of a loving home. Shame on them.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I got a reply via email this morning from Michelle, one of the volunteers:

from CamdenCounty AnimalShelter
    to Candace C
    date 11 August 2008 05:57
    subject Re: The other 399 applicants for Prince Chunk... :-)
    mailed-by yahoo.com
    Signed by yahoo.com

hide details 05:57 (2 hours ago)

Hi Candace,

Unfortunately..as hard as we tried..we did not see much of an increase in adoptions. On Friday..just one week after the story aired..we were frantically trying to free up 6 cages so that we didn't have to PTS anyone. We ended up sending some kittens to another shelter in our county that had some space. We really had hoped that it would bring in much needed funds or increase adoptions but sadly all that people really seemed to be interested in was that one cat.

Michelle
    Volunteer
    How sad and maddening! I am glad that SOME people are adopting - your friend is a real blessing, Ginger's Mom - I wonder if the other people who didn't would have been PO'd that they would have had to remain anonymous at the end. No fame via a cat!

Prayers that all the fur babies everywhere get a good furrever home!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Susan Goldston, who writes a weekly pets column in the San Jose Mercury News, remarked on Powder's case that people often want to adopt pets with a "story." We have a very sad animal abuse case in our area, involving a man who was running an unlicensed dog breeding business in his rural home. Apparently, hundreds of people have offered to adopt the dogs and puppies rescued from the filth and neglect, but were less interested in considering one of the other dogs in the shelter.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

RIP

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ince_chun.html

N.J. media sensation 'Prince Chunk' cat dies
    Published: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 8:15 AM Updated: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 12:53 PM
    The Associated Press The Associated Press

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP — An enormously fat cat named Prince Chunk who became famous when he was found wandering in New Jersey after his owner lost her home to foreclosure has died.

Prince Chunk's adoptive owner, Vince Damiani of Blackwood, said the white tabby died in his sleep Sunday. He was about 10 years old. Damiani said a veterinarian had diagnosed the cat with heart disease.

Prince Chunk skyrocketed to fame in August 2008 after the Camden County Animal Shelter, which took him in, reported that he weighed 44 pounds, just shy of a world record.

Damiani believes that estimate may have been somewhat exaggerated. He said Prince Chunk weighed 22 pounds when he brought the cat home from the shelter.

He soon became a media sensation, appearing on "Good Morning America," ''Live with Regis and Kelly," the covers of the New York tabloids and in People magazine.

The Damiani family was chosen from among 500 applicants to adopt him.

The pet's plight inspired the Damianis to establish the Prince Chunk Foundation, a nonprofit that helps financially distressed pet owners keep their animals. The foundation operates in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York and California.

Its mission is to prevent animal homelessness by providing temporary assistance to dog and cat owners, including free emergency vet care and pet food, Damiani said.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

That is sad! Only 10 years old, but I guess it's no surprise that his heart gave up...

RIP, poor kitty! He looked so friendly and sweet in the pics!