Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scout just had a seizure...

Tiff,

Having worked at a veterinary hospital, we used to have a dog that took phenobarbital for seizures.

Seizures are usually a sign of something neurologically out of whack.

Here are a couple of links that'll help you understand it. The most common type of seizure is grand mal seizure.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/lowek..._epilepsy.html

http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...Fepilepsy.html

http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/off..._epilepsy.html

Please keep us posted on Scout.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks everyone. Your support is wonderful. I've looked at some sites on the 'net about cats and seizures. From what I read, it's not common. He didn't have a small one that was just loss of muscle coordination and disorientation....No, he scared me to death with a full on seizure...foaming at the mouth, whole body convulsing, etc..

It could possibly be something neurologically wrong that's genetic. He was a part feral kitty I found. He's been tested and is UTD on shots. No telling if the stray cats here interbred etc..., he already has one genetic defect...an eye that sits out of place in the socket...doesn't seem to bother him and I think it looks cute, but if that was one genetic defect, he could possibly have more.

My poor baby. To the vet we go.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Tiff,

That's the difficulty with stray cats. You don't know their medical history so it makes it hard. I had a cat, Marina Mar, born to a feral mother, who was sick from the day she was born. We found her and her 2 siblings on a boat in a Marina. When she was 2 1/2 she was diagnosed with Pemphigus Aereolus, a suppressed immune system that killed cells that made new skin. She got very sick and I had to put her down. That's the chance we take. But the chance far outweighs anything else. I had over 2 wonderful years with my little girl and wouldn't trade it for anything. Same thing with my Bubba Dude, Casey.

You and Scout will be in my prayers. Let us know what the vet says.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Poor Scout - and You! It must have been a frightening experience. I hope he'll never have another. Do talk the vet and have him tested.

Best of luck!

Hugs and purrs,
    Fister & his mum

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I am so sorry about Scout, Chinadoll. I hope he will get better. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

I have seen seizing kittens and puppys at the hospital. Close watch and do whatever your vet tells you to do. That is all , but it makes alot of difference. Good luck and i hope your baby NEVER EVER has to go through that again
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

You poor things. I'm eager to hear what your vet says tomorrow.

I'll keep him in my prayers.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

We had a sheltie that had seizures. When he would start one, my mom kept him cool with packets of frozen peas and corn, and kept him still because he got soo stiff. I think he was better if it was dark too, but I can't remember because I was a baby. Good luck at the vet - I hope everything works out.

Oh no, poor Scout, and how scarey for you! Hugs and prayers going out that everything is ok with him and he won't have anymore.

Please let us know what the vet says.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl