Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: do you smoke?

My husband does, but I don't....he only smokes outside or in the garage though,never in the house.

Wife to Steve and Mother to:
    Samuel Thomas 8/31/96 Amber Nicole 3/9/98
    Elizabeth Rose 12/14/99 Shalee Robyn 6/24/92
    Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

None of us do, either. Thankfully, I grew up in a family with absolutely no smokers. My first husband's father smoked, but quit the day we got married, when he came down with pnuemonia and was told to stop. And he did, cold turkey! My current husband grew up in a family of smokers too. But he has asthma and can't stand it. One thing that would stop you dead in your tracks is to have children who go through drug education in school. They believe (and are probably correct) that smoking is as bad as any addiction.

Logan

My friend finished D.A.R.E. this past month. She learned a lot about drugs and the consequences of smoking. Her mom & dad both smoked, and now her dad has not had one in six weeks, and her mom hasn't had one in one week (because she just started). I don't know exactly the reason why, but I think it was because they didn't want her to be dissappointed. My friend told me it was something to do with D.A.R.E. though.

As for my own family, my grandma passed away more than a year ago from emphysyma (sp?) from smoking. She also suffered from other things as well, and was a recovering cancer patient. My mom smoked for a few years in high school, becuase A) she thought it was cool & B) they were availible (both her parents smoked). My dad's side has no smoking history at all.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

nope, me or fiance don't smoke. he did for several years...but quit. I tried smoking and thought it was the most disgusting thing, I don't think I could get hooked even if I tried. heh

Both Dan and I used to smoke. I quit when I was pregnant, then after Dylan was born I started again, but only occasionally. Then Dan and I both decided to stop and we quit cold turkey, it's very easy for us for some reason. We never smoked around out pets or Dylan.

Once I caught Dans father smoking with Dylan in the car!!!! I was SO pissed he would smoke in front of our baby!

I do sometimes have a craving but I won't give into it, I have started having some troubles breathing and I want to live a little longer, especially to see my children grow up.

My dad has smoked for AGES, and now needs to have oxygen sometimes and he STILL din't wuit until about a month ago! His lungs are so bad. I don't understand why anyone would want to end their life short because of it. It's very sad.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

NOPE

Never have, never will.

Oh oh Yes, my husband and I both smoke but we don't smoke in the house. I know I have to quit, but believe me, it's not easy
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

Although I'm young, I can proudly say that I NEVER will smoke. I've NEVER touched a cigarette, never will. Neither my parents nor siblings have ever smoked. My grandfather on my mother's side used to, but only like once a week. Two of my uncles on my dad's side have been smoking since college and still do. One of my uncle tried to quit several times, but he always fails when he passes a cigar shop. I HATE his habit. His children hate it and have tried to get him to stop, but no use. When he comes to our house, he's not allowed to smoke inside period. These rules didn't work before, he would keep forgetting and he made our house STINK, but ever since we got the birds, I told him clearly, that if his smoking ever causes any harm to the birds, he will NEVER be forgiven. Guess I scared him. He NEVER smoked at our house again! Only outside when he visits. (ps. I hate the smell of his clothes too even though he doesn't smoke in the house).

My other uncle is stubborn. He will NOT even try to quit. He's been smoking for the past 30-40 years and won't stop. He's not allowed to smoke in the house though (his kids and wife hate it and won't let him) so at least his house doesn't stink when we go to visit. These are the only smoking family members I have. Good luck to all of you that are trying to quit smoking. I know its hard, but when there's a will, there's a way!

Ps. I never knew so many women smoked! Around here, I don't think I've seen more than one or two women smoking in my life! Guess its different in other states. Not much of anyone smokes here anyway, but its usually the men.

When people smoke around me, I get sick and feel like throwing up. When I was about 9 or 10 years old, we were traveling for the summer, and took a stupid airline (don't remember what it was) that had a smoking section and put us in it when we reserved non smoking seats! I, unfortunately got a seat next to an evil couple. They had a little baby in their lap (not more than 5-6 months old) and they were smoking continuously, the WHOLE flight (10 hours). OMG, those idiots had no regard for other people, not even their baby! They were smoking in her face! Both of them! The WHOLE time, didn't even put their cigarettes down. You can't imagine how sick I got. I bacame dizzy, felt like throwing up, and eventually couldn't stand out of dizziness. When that evil couple saw me getting so sick, you know what they did? They were LAUGHING! Making fun of me because I felt like I was going to die! I'm serious! I did feel like I was going to die. I wanted to get up from my seat and teach those devils a lesson, but I was too sick to even say something. I just growled at them, and I'm not even sure if the growl came out! The flight attendents constantly came to check on me, and parents were extremely worried because I couldn't even stand. Eventually one of the flight attendants asked a nice old lady if I could sit next to her and she agreed. My dad had to pick me up and put me on that seat. I couldn't walk. If I tried, I would fall. The old lady was SO nice. My seat was away from my parents, so she took care of me the whole way. I started to feel a little better after getting away from those beasts, but I was still sick. After arriving, I threw up, and couldn't eat for the next 3 days. I was constantly throwing up. Those evil people don't know how much their wickedness affected me, but I know that I will NEVER forget them in my life.

Scanty Nebula that is such a great picture!!!

Originally posted by ScantyNebula
    nope, me or fiance don't smoke. he did for several years...but quit. I tried smoking and thought it was the most disgusting thing, I don't think I could get hooked even if I tried. heh

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

No... no smoking here. Haven't tried it and don't care too either--my allergies react horribly to it, esp. cigar smoke!

I'm a recovering smoker. I haven't had a cigarette in several years and never plan to have another one because I know I'm an addict and just one cigarette will get me started all over again. I know this because I once quit for five years, then in the process of having a really bad day, I allowed myself to have ONE cigarette and then continued to smoke over a pack daily for the next eight years.

Yes, it is really,really hard to quit. For any of you out there who want to quit, I recommend the following.

1. Don't kid yourself by saying that you are "quitting smoking". Either smoke or don't smoke.

2. Pick a day, and when you wake up that morning, throw out any remaining cigarettes. Don't quit in the middle of the day.

3. Quit because YOU are determined to quit. Not because of pressure from others.

4. If you feel the need to use the patch or medication, do what ever works for you. Just remember that these are only helpers. You still have to have the personal resolve to quit because a year, five years, ten years down the road, when you get a surprise craving (that doesn't last long, trust me ), you'll only have your resolve to get you through the moment.

5. Quitting is terribly hard, but the rewards are so worth it.

Good luck

I never want to smoke, Ive been offered but always said NO!! I cant stand the smell either.

I dotn And I never will
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

No.

My parents both smoke. I cannot stand it whatsoever. They have to smoke outside, and can't smoke in the truck. MY RULES! hehe. I think it smells nasty, is nasty, and i will NEVER do it. NEVER have.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Nope. I've never smoked or had the desire too.

Dad smoked until I was 8 and quit cold turkey. He said he still craves a smoke but won't.

I can imagine it's hard and to those that try, keep it up!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June