Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where were you the day JFK was shot?

I was 17 and had just arrived home at about 6pm and we'd had dinner - Dad put the TV on for the news - and there it all was -he'd been shot - he was dead and they kept replaying that horrible bit of film over and over again - I felt so shocked - how could anyone do this to a President? Ah the stupidity of youth!

I remember Bobby being shot in 1968 and being so upset - when he died I was in tears - I had time for that guy.

Twisterdog - LOL!!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

I was listening to Imus in the Morning today on my way to school and he was interviewing Nelly Connolly (wife of the Texas governor at the time of the Kennedy shooting) and she was in the car when JFK was shot. She was saying how awful it was. Her husband was shot also, but lived. She talked about hearing the 3 shots and looking around the car and seeing it riddled with buckshot and blood, she talked about watching JFK slump in the seat, she talked about John Connolly being concerned that Jackie and Nelly would be shot also. She does not believe that there was a conspiracy and she believes that Oswald did the shooting and she believes that it was from the book depository and not the grassy knoll. I guess I consider her to be credible since she WAS there. It gave me a new perspective on the assassination. I often wonder how the world would have been different had JFK not been killed.

Do you think that he would have been as immortalized had he lived? Do you think he would have ended up being like Clinton with his womanizing? Do you think we would have been in Vietnam as long if he had lived? Do you think we would have a different relationship with Cuba?

Ok, I'm done asking questions now. I'll shut up!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I was in High School and being in the Washington DC suburbs we felt the effects of the whole city being numbed. I had gone to his inaugeration and had watched the parade from my mothers work balcony. I remember it was a cold, snowy day but oh how his strawberry colored hair shown in the brief sunlight. When he was killed we were sent home from school and all felt strongly that this was the beginning of the end of innocence. Indeed it was.

I was 14.5 years from being born, but my parents were sophomores in high school when it happened. Every late November, I hear how the world stood still and people were in disbelief.

I'm with lovemyshiba on this one. The first big tragedy I remember was the Challenger explosion. I was in 2nd grade and we were actually watching the launch on tv, so I saw it happen. I can still remember the looks on the teachers faces.

I was at school in the gym playing basket ball .

I wasn't alive, obviously lol. I asked my dad though. He said he was 11. My grandfather knew/met JFK. He didn't really 'know' him I guess, but we have a picture downstairs of my grandfather giving a speach of some sort and JFK is there.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I was in the 7th grade then and in geography class. Our teacher was called from the room. When he came back, we knew something awful had happened. He had such a stunned look on his face. He explained to us, as best he could, what had happened. That was the quietest our class had ever been. It's so sad. The picture of little John John saluting the flag drapped coffin of his father is as clear in my mind as if it was yesterday.

I was only 2 , I don't remember the announcement but I do remeber the older couple who watched me we cring. In do also remember the furneral too it was the first time I ever saw the riderless horse in the procetion. I guess it impacted me cuz I was in my horse crazy period and some how the empty boots really pulled something out of me. Every time since then when I see it I cry alittle.

I wasn't born yet.. hehe.. but my parents were kids.. when it happened..
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Well, considering my mom was only 9 months old when it happened................

Hehehe
    I've been BOO'd!

At that time I was 17 years old and working in a, make that only, hotel in our town. I had just finished work and had gone down to the kitchen (to get and eat the free meal we could have) when the assistant manager came in and told us the news. There was total silence that lasted for what seemed a long time, but in reality I guess was just a few moments, while we all tried to absorb what we had just been told. I just left and walked home, and cried all the way. I am not good with words, the best I can do is to say that my world shifted and shook that day. I think what Laurie wrote is part of how it felt for me too.
    ".... and all felt strongly that this was the beginning of the end of innocence. Indeed it was."

Chris

I wasn't born yet.

Kirsten

I talked to my sister last night and asked her where she was. She was almost 9 and in 3rd grade. She went to a Catholic school and she said she remembered the announcement and that the nuns just suddenly disappeared and the other teachers herding the kids out of the school to send them home. She said it was kind of an eery saddness. I haven't asked my other sister who would have been 11 and in 5th grade, I'm sure she has a stronger recollection than Bev.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Hmmm, I had just turned 9 and was in the fourth grade. For once, I was one of the first in from recess when the loudspeaker started crackling the announcement. We were all stunned and confused. It seems they first announced the shooting and it was hours before they announced his death, but I may be remembering it wrong...
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/