Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grammar, spelling and punctuation refreshers??

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way (last three posts). I'm not at all irritated or angered by typos and the picky details of written English. Maybe a little distracted or confused.

Written language imitates speech, and speech is about conveying ideas, not getting an "A" in school.

Those with English as a second language are going to make errors in this way of expressing ideas. Likewise those with little formal education or not much experience at writing.

This does not mean you should condemn or ignore them. Please be a little tolerant and understanding of others.
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-24-2003 at 06:25 PM.

I always try to be patient with those for whom English is a second language. I learned early in life that school chums do not necessarily appreciate their grammar being corrected. I am, however, sometimes annoyed at people who do not seem to care about spelling, capitalization or punctuation. They exist for a reason!

I often spot errors in my own posts - I could use my Mom's old excuse - "I can spell just fine, but my keyboard can't!"

It seems that when an animal is chosen as pet/dog//cat of the day, the text is run exactly as submitted, which is sometimes unfortunate. I view all three every day and have noticed grammatical infractions (oh, well!), misspellings (it happens!), and worst of all, simple typos (duh!). It would be fantastic if the obvious typos could be corrected, for the sake of the website's integrity.

I can only presume that the policy is to run the text as submitted, verbatim, without any thought to maybe deleting the extra "the" out of a sentence that reads "the the"?

Like anyone else, I certainly would object to my text submission being edited/overhauled without my consent, but if I made a blatant boo-boo, I would welcome correction of such an error before it hits the "big screen"! I realize that the threads/forums are informal and anything goes . . . I'm referring ONLY to the P/D/C/OTD Bios., which leave an impression upon the first-time, casual viewer.

I'm just persnickety.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

I agree with Mahayana, and I think when you skip some of these post that "make your eyes water", you are missing out on something interesting that is being said in the post.
    I am sorry to hear there are people judging how we all use english.
    When we post stories about our pets, whom we love very much, I really never thought we were being graded on our poor language skills.
    I for one, like Mahayana hope you will be more tolerant, afterall you may be missing out on something very interesting by skipping over some of these posts. We have to remember, this is about our pets and people from all over post here too.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

5. But that's the point!

The reason for rules of grammar, spelling, and puncuation is to establish a common understanding. Think how difficult it is for those for whom English is NOT the first language when mistakes are made. We all make them, I know! But to take a casual attitude toward it makes understanding ideas, thoughts, and feelings more difficult, especially for those for whom Engish is not a first language.

Originally posted by Karen
    I always try to be patient with those for whom English is a second language. I learned early in life that school chums do not necessarily appreciate their grammar being corrected. I am, however, sometimes annoyed at people who do not seem to care about spelling, capitalization or punctuation. They exist for a reason!

I often spot errors in my own posts - I could use my Mom's old excuse - "I can spell just fine, but my keyboard can't!"
    Well put Karen.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Well said, Sara!

In my opinion, it's a matter of making an effort! I know some have difficulties with spelling and grammar - I have too, sometimes; especially when I'm tired, but at least I make an effort to get it right (I don't always, I know!) I have the feeling that some just don't bother, and that's too bad!

I'm a non english member and I take the opportunity to try to learn more english from this site - I'm sure others do too.

When I want to post something, I sometimes can't think of the right words, so I use another way of saying what I want, but it comes out rather ackward, but understandable at least.

What I think is the worst, is when people post, using slang or abbrevations just to be "smart" and they don't get it right. So embarrassing!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I never said anything about ESL speakers/writers. I always look at the person's country of origin, and take into consideration where they are from. However, I have noticed that for the most part, ESL speakers/writers from other countries generally have MUCH better spelling and grammar than a LOT of people on here to whom English is their native tongue. That's truly sad to me.

And I'm not talking about one or two misspelled words and a few punctuation errors. We ALL do that. It IS the internet, a casual forum. I type things on a message board that I would never type in a "real" letter. I think it is safe to say that most of use more slang and more technically incorrect punctuation on the internet than we would, say, at work or school. That's a given, and I don't have a problem with it.

Everyone knows the type of posts I was talking about. We have all seen them, and all cringed. The posts that should be ten paragraphs and fifty sentences, but end up being one huge paragraph and four horrific run-on sentences. The posts where every other word is misspelled so badly that it takes an effort to figure out what was originally meant. The posts with no punctuation, and very few capital letters.

This does not mean you should comdemn or ignore them. Please be a little tolerant and understanding of others.
    Please show me where I said I would condemn anyone. I didn't, and I don't. I am quite tolerant, I have never corrected anyone for anything on this board. I said I was tempted to at times, I didn't say I did it.

I do, however, think it is very sad when someone says they are going to school to be a "vetinarian" or they are going to start a rescue for "purebread blue healers." They lose all credibility with people ... especially potential employers, schools, etc. ... when they can't even spell their chosen field or specialty. If I were in that position, I would most certainly hope someone corrected me!

We ARE judged on our grammar, spelling and punctuation, just as we are judged by our clothing syle, pronunciation and appearance. Right or wrong, fair or unfair ... that is how human beings make order of their world. I can't imagine not knowing how to spell a word or punctuate a sentence, and not wanting someone to teach me!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Dear Twisterdog-

I think you see what I'm talking about. It hurts people's feelings when you point out their deficiencies. Even in a forum such as this.

If one get a note that says " I luv you. thank you for being my fren", and their response is "you are an atrocious speller; why would I want to associate with an ignorant person like you?", how would you characterize the two parties?

It's true that the world judges on appearance rather than essense. Bad first impressions are hard to overcome. And that is a sad situation, and one of the reasons for low self-esteem in many people.

The question here is how to help.

Grammar ,spellingand punctuation

I am sorry,for your troubles .
    Some of us are less fortunate than you are .
    Some of us have mental disabilitys that prevent us from
    improving on our writing skills.
    We can't meet your expectations .
    I also feel sorry for you too.
    For what we lack in our writing abilitys , you also lack in
    compassion .

Re: Grammar ,spellingand punctuation

Originally posted by amoore
    I am sorry,for your troubles .
    Some of us are less fortunate than you are .
    Some of us have mental disabilitys that prevent us from
    improving on our writing skills.
    We can't meet your expectations .
    I also feel sorry for you too.
    For what we lack in our writing abilitys , you also lack in
    compassion .
    Exactly. How horrible it must feel to have a learning disability or just otherwise not have the same level of education that others here on Pet Talk and to be judged or told that your post is not legible. I’ve seen that done so many times (usually to the same one or two people) that when I see the corrective, critical posts that I usually skip them because they irritate me so much. How awful to be judged by your cyber friends because you can't spell or punctuate correctly. Not everyone understands the correct form to use for a paragraph or the correct punctuation or spelling, myself included. Many people are too busy struggling to read and write though a disability that they don’t have the time or ability to learn beyond their current level. I generally run my posts through Word to attempt to correct typos, but my posts are by no means perfect.

If anyone were to ever correct a post of mine, I would be highly offended.

I personally think most members are trying their best. If their best is below your standards then don’t read their posts, but don’t get upset or irritated that they can’t spell or conjugate a verb.

If their best is below your standards then don’t read their posts,
    That's exactly what I said I did ... I don't read the post. And I got criticised for saying that, as well.

told that your post is not legible. I’ve seen that done so many times (usually to the same one or two people) that when I see the corrective, critical posts that I usually skip them because they irritate me so much.

It hurts people's feelings when you point out their deficiencies.
    And, repeating myself for about the third time, I have NEVER corrected, criticized or pointed out deficiencies to ANYone about ANY post, EVER. You are obviously confusing me with someone else if you think I go around being the spelling police of the board. I only mentioned it in THIS thread because it seems to be on topic here. Sheesh.

If anyone were to ever correct a post of mine, I would be highly offended.
    Really? Why? I don't get it. To me, that's like being offended if someone tells you that you came out of the ladies' room with your skirt stuck into the back of your pantyhose. My goodness ... I'd rather have someone tell me than not! I wouldn't be offended, especially if someone PM'd me and said something like, "Pssst ... just FYI, it's "rottweiler", not "rotweiller". I would be grateful! Saves me from looking silly, or having to take the time to look it up myself.

I guess we just view this differently. However, I don't see what the big deal is. Certain things bother some people, and not other people. We all have different pet peeves. No one is a saint, at least not the last time I checked.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Just to lighten the mood a little bit.

1. Don't abbrev.

2. Check to see if you any words out.

3. Be carefully to use adjectives and adverbs correct.

4. About sentence fragments.

5. When dangling, don't use participles.

6. Don't use no double negatives.

7. Each pronoun agrees with their antecedent.

8. Just between You and i, case is important.

9. Join clauses good, like a conjunction should.

10. Don't use commas, that aren't necessary.

11. Its important to use apostrophe's right.

12. It's better not to unnecessarily split an infinitive.

13. Never leave a transitive verb just lay there without an object.

14. Only Proper Nouns should be capitalized.

15. a sentence should begin with a capital and end with a period

16. Use hyphens in compound-words, not just in any two-word phrase.

17. Watch out for irregular verbs which have creeped into our language.

18. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

19. Avoid unnecessary redundancy.

20. A writer mustn't shift your point of view.

21. Don't write a run-on sentence you've got to punctuate it.

22. A preposition isn't a good thing to end a sentence with.

23. Avoid clichés like the plague.

Okay, I hope that clears up any misunderstandings about English. .
    Oh, guess what I did, I posted this in the wrong forum. Now that is something to make your face turn red.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Glad to see a touch of humor here!

For those that are new to English, or who did poorly in English in school, each of Trayi's rules is written in a way to illustrate breaking the rule. Clever, eh?

Very apropos here, methinks.

I am sensitive to disparagement, whether done individually or globally. I grew up with a slightly retarded older brother who embarassed me all through school. The way I treated him is something I am ashamed of to this day.

Originally posted by mahayana
    Glad to see a touch of humor here!

For those that are new to English, or who did poorly in English in school, each of Trayi's rules is written in a way to illustrate breaking the rule. Clever, eh?

Very apropos here, methinks.

I am sensitive to disparagement, whether done individually or globally. I grew up with a slightly retarded older brother who embarassed me all through school. The way I treated him is something I am ashamed of to this day.
    Have you ever seen the made for tv film Tru Confessions?
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0296251/
    It's a beautiful film about twins. One was deprived of oxyqen during birth and is developmentally disabled. The other, now in high school struggles with her conflicting feelings about her brother.
    It's a kids' movie, but so well made, I sobbed!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin