Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Adventures of Chip and Chuck NEW PICS #38

Try Disk Cleanup too! It's near where your Disk Defragmenter is located.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks Liz for the PM I would not have seen this otherwise. Did you PM Puck too? He is more used to remote administration then I am and being closer he might take less time.

MOFF, keep an eye tomorrow on the hard drive free space as this could be malware creating snapshots of your hard drive and storing them and eating up the free space. We saw this in the shop last month and without looking at your system I cant be of much help. If my buddy gets back to me on how he fixed it Ill chime in as fast as I can.

For now anytime you see a spike in hard drive usage run CCLeaner, and hopefully Catty can get into your system and find the problem.

Other info that can help Catty, Puck or myself would be, what anti virus are you using, are you using any malware scanners or spyware scanners? How long has this been happening? What programs have you installed before or since you noticed this problem?

How long has this been going on? I may be able to walk you through a system restore.

Im sorry you had to delete pics but I am betting the space is being eaten up else where.

Saving the worse for last, the program taking snapshots of your hard drive could also be sending them out to an unknown IP.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

There's also a Duplicate File Finder from Auslogics.

I was all set to remote in, but MOFF had freed up a lot of space with Ccleaner, and was happy with that for now.

But I WOULD like to know, as blue said, which anti-virus program you are using.

I'd still be happy to remote in and have a look around...you and I would be on chat so you and I would be able to communicate.

I call it 'the haunted computer' cause your cursor moves around the screen and it's not YOU using the mouse!

Again, I'd be happy to do a free inspection of your system...there might be something wacky there.

If nothing else, go to www.malwarebytes.com and download the free version. It heads straight for the nasties!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks again everyone.

I use Norton for my virus prgram. It's suppose to check for all those scary malware and things.

My main problem is my Kodak easy share picture program I think. I had almost 3,000 pics on a 33GB hard drive. The problem started when I started taking lots of pics when Angel was born.

My bro got me an external hard drive over 900GB and I started moving pics to it (also making cd copies, just in case).

I had been told that pics take up lots of space so always kept an eye on my free space. When Chip and Chuck and their siblings were born, more pics.

So, I was moving pics and deleting them. Only thing, I think they weren't really being deleted. My cousin who sent me the link to the ccleaner, also listed everything I needed to check to have deleted. He also discribed what it did. I didn't know that deleting things from my recycle bin didn't really delete them.

Also, I had about 5 years of never cleaning cookies or temp files or any of that plus all the old updates that never deleted off. There were tons of java and flash files. I did about faint when I saw those deleting off because I use those a lot on playing games and stuff. All is working fine today. Still at 29% free.

My cousin suggests I run the ccleaner once a week.

My brother does have access to my computer so he got on and took a look see. We found where my Kodak program was stashing the original pics of ones I had enhanced. I got most of those off. I left some of the ones I might want to restore someday. There were over 2,000 of those.

Catty, I seem to have a bad habit of trying to grab the pointer when it moves on it's own. I had to finally put my hand behind my back while my bro was moving it around.

At least now I know who you all are who I can call on for help!!!
    I do appreciate it more than you will ever know.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Moff, when you save pictures, do you rezise them first? That would help regarding space, especially when you have lots. Also, when you save, save for web if possible, that will also help a bit.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Moff, when you save pictures, do you rezise them first? That would help regarding space, especially when you have lots. Also, when you save, save for web if possible, that will also help a bit.
    I didn't resize most of them. I just recently found my camera has an option to save them to a smaller size to save space and have been using that.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

MOFF Im glad my worries about your system werent the problem. 5 years of not cleaning out a system and large image files can take up alot of space. I hope you now have the Defrag set to automatically run once a week.

Crap Cleaner FTW!!!

Norton isnt on my top list of Anti Virus but it seems its been working for you so stick with it.

Ill second running CCleaner once a week. Ild also run a weekly scan with Norton.

Glad things have worked out so far, and Im happy to help if you ever need it.

Ild still keep an eye on the hard drive free space for a few more days but it sounds like you got it handled.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I also go into "run" and type in "cookies" then "OK". These are copies of ALL the temporary internet files you've gone into. Highlight them all EXCEPT for "index". That is NEVER to be touched!!! It helped me free up ALOT of disk space.

Like you MOFF, I also download pictures from Kodak Easyshare onto my desktop to post. Once they're posted where I want them, I delete them from my desktop. Saves ALOT of space!! And the pictures are still on my Kodak program without taking up alot of space. My computer is set to defrag every Wednesday in the middle of the night so my 'puter time isn't interrupted.

Give Chip and Chuck kisses from me and Butcie!! Those little devils MADE the trip to CT more memorable. And they are SO adorable!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

To give you all an idea of how full my hard drive is, when I do a complete system virus scan, it now takes 12 hours. I know because I did one of the 8th. It didn't take that long when I first got my computer but over the years (as the hard drive filled up) took longer and longer.

I have 27% free today but did delete 50 some pics yesterday. When I move them to my alternate drive, I have to go through outlook express to do it. That thing may be hiding them somewhere too.

I'm just going to move some pics today without deleting any and see what the free space does.

moosmon I'm sure the catmobile trip was more, um, adventurous with Chip and Chuck along. Chip has a new talent now. He can jump from the floor into my freezer. My freezer is on top of the fridge at least 4 foot plus off the floor.

He surprised me my demonstrating his new talent when I opened the freezer door last night. I was sure surprised by that black kitty flying by my shoulder and landing on the frozen peas.
    All kissies have been delivered.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Hi, Chip and Chuck and big sis Angel... how's things?

Your fan,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sorry I'm late on this, but congratulations on your 2 new additions. Chip & Chuck are absolutely A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!

I can't get over how grown up Angel is now. She is such a pretty girl.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Hi, Chip and Chuck and big sis Angel... how's things?

Your fan,
    Elyse
    Things are as usual. Good thing is my computer is holding at 24% free space since I stopped deleting pics. I'm still copying them on my alternat drive though. I haven't done the cclean thingy this week yet.

Don't know if it's the blue moon or the wind or the change in temps but the kitty natives have been really jazzed up today.

rg_girlca good to see you back on PT. The kits say thanks for the good wishes!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Happy 8-month birthday, Chuck and Chip!

How are you? How is big sis Angel? How are Winnie, Chester and Grandma? Could you please have meowmie give all of you some scritchies and hugs from me?

P.S., what are you hoping Santa Paws brings you for Christmas?

Your fan,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

They are all doing well. Chuck is getting to be a big big boy. He looks a lot like Chester now. I sometimes call him Chunk. Chip is still a terror, into and onto everything.
    The others are all doing well too. All luvies and kisses delivered.
    Their Chistsmas list was really short: toys, treats, toys.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Just an update on the kids:

Chip is still his ornery self. Today he's in lock down in the kitchen. I got a fright this morning. I had made a pot of tea and was washing some dishes while it steeped. The teapot was sitting on the enamal part of the cook stove.

When I turned around, I saw a trail of lots of red drips all over the washer and dripping down. Looked just like blood for a second. Then I realized it couldn't be because there was nothing around that could have harmed any of the cats. I followed the trail and found Chip hunkered over something on the floor.

The stinker had stolen my tea bag out of the teapot and was chewing on it. When I looked at the pot, the lid had been lifted just a bit and the teabag was gone. It was a fruit tea so that's why it was red. Chip is still in a snit because I took the tea bag away from him.

Chuck: has calmed down a lot and is allowed more free time with me in the rest of the house. He still does have his 'moments' of hysteria though.

Chester, Winnie, and Grandma are all being very very good. Miss Angel is being an Angel, well most of the time. She still sasses me from time to time.

I hope to post a few pics after Christmas but the old computer still not doing too good on free space so I'll just have to wait and see. They all send kisses and luvies to all.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie