Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neautering--- to give pain meds or not?

The boys seem to have an easier time postoperatively than the girls, because the female spay surgery is MUCH more invasive. Recuperation for the boys is faster and not as painful.

My Debra took about a week to feel better, and it made me think that I SHOULD have requested or at least inquired about pain meds to ease her recovery . . . I felt badly to watch her suffer and called the vet's office. They reassured me that a week is not out of the ordinary for a female.

Makes me sad when I TNR a female and then know I have to release her right away . . . I always hope and pray that she recovers quickly and does not fall prey to anything in the meantime.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Wow! That is expensive! My vet would have charged about $250 for a spay. I took my cat to the Humane Soceiy here and they charged $30. Cats had to have all their shots and there was a seven week wait but it was worth it.

Hallie did not have pain meds she was her same self the next day.

I don't think thats so expensive. Pouncer was $115 for his operatrion, but it included everything - pain meds too. Poor little fellow was hurting a bit afterwards. They administered the meds, so I never had to do anything. He only got the meds at the vets after the operation and they lasted for 24 hours (a time released thing) and after that, he still slept most of the day. You could tell that he still felt miserable, but I knew that he'd be fine within a day or two... and I knew that if I had given him more meds, he would have been trying to chase Allen around the house!

12 weeks sounds so young to me. I know that they can do it at 6 weeks old. The one rescue I looked at did recommend to have it done so young, the other did not. I guess its a matter of opinion.