Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now THAT'S a fat cat!!!

I, too, saw Powder on the Regis and Kelly show this morning! He seems like a very lovable kitty and I am sure he will be adopted in no time at all. The foster mom said that he eats regularly, not huge amounts, so the first thing they are going to do is bloodwork and check the thyroid! I was amazed when the vet was asked to determine the sex and Powder just laid there, on his bakc with all four legs spread apart! Neither of my cats would do that! Yes, shame on his elderly owner for putting him out, but he obviously was loved and well cared for... except for the weight issue. I am anxious to hear more about this sweet guy!
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

According to a story today on Philly.com, the owner's house was foreclosed. She was able to re-home another cat, but couldn't find a place for "Powder."

I saw a documentary on fat pets on the National Geographic channel, which featured a "fluffy" tuxedo in the UK, with loving and responsible owners. The vet determined that the cat had a very low metabolism, and prescribed an exercise regimen. So, we were treated to shots of the husband trying to get the big guy to chase some teasers. Said he hadn't worked so hard since he went through firefighter training.

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

He really is a handsome boy, and I am glad to hear that he has a name, and that people are taking such an interest in him. So how long was this boy out on his own, does anyone know. Man, if I could take a cat, this one has sure grabbed my heart.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I believe I read that he was only on his own for a few days. His owner still did the wrong thing by turning out into the streets. But - lucky for him he was found before anything bad happened to him - and now he has become an overnight world-wide celebrity. A happy ending is what counts here,

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9 View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07302008...cat_122221.htm
    Usually when people talk about fat cats in New Jersey, they are talking about members of the state legislature. Or extras in a "Sopranos" shoot. "
    Sorry you have this erroneous perception about my home state, you're misguided on both counts!!!! Check out the New Jersey Homepage for a better understanding of what our legislators and those of us who live and work here are REALLY about. And please remember, while The Sopranos is a great TV show that's ALL it is... a tv show!!! I've NEVER heard it put so poorly or inaccurately!!!!!!!! Pretty offensive
    Last edited by momcat; 07-31-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

awww....sweet Powder Puff! At least she had a good name for him (well, not the 'puff' part).

He looks healthy, and hopefully will have many more happy and healthy years with a new furrever home and lifestyle!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom View Post
    Aside from her overly large size, she is a very pretty cat. Oh Pam...are you looking at this pretty girl?
    hehe! Joyce! This happened right in my own town. Here is the latest link from our local TV station's coverage of the story. Kitty's human went through foreclosure and turned her over to friends and has no idea how kitty wound up in an animal shelter.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=6298540

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Sorry you have this erroneous perception about my home state, you're misguided on both counts!!!! Check out the New Jersey Homepage for a better understanding of what our legislators and those of us who live and work here are REALLY about. And please remember, while The Sopranos is a great TV show that's ALL it is... a tv show!!! I've NEVER heard it put so poorly or inaccurately!!!!!!!! Pretty offensive

I hope you realise that this wasn't written by pitc9. It's a quote of
    someone else's written article.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A Powder update

[b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

He's been officially adopted & a very lucky cat. He has no other medical
    issues but his weight.

http://www.theindychannel.com/family...53/detail.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Good news!

With 400 homes to weed through, I am sure they found a very responsible home. Who knows, maybe the other two cats could use a high-protein, low-carb diet too!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    I know this was a while ago, but as Liz said... I did not say that.
    That was the news article I had posted.

Thanks Liz!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I just read this morning

That although Powder has found a new home, NONE of the 500 people wanting to provide him with a new home were interested in looking at the 200+ cats left in the shelter where Powder was fostered. I can't believe that! It's like 499 people just wanted him to exploit him as some kind of freak show - how can you want one cat simply because of the media attention he's been given? Very sad reflection on some people's natures. Glad that Powder is going to a loving home.
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
    That although Powder has found a new home, NONE of the 500 people wanting to provide him with a new home were interested in looking at the 200+ cats left in the shelter where Powder was fostered. I can't believe that! It's like 499 people just wanted him to exploit him as some kind of freak show - how can you want one cat simply because of the media attention he's been given? Very sad reflection on some people's natures. Glad that Powder is going to a loving home.

I think for sure that was true of a lot of people, but I hate to think that
    they ALL did.

Maybe they should start featuring adoptable cats on TV more often. It's
    often true that once people see the cats & hear a little about them, they
    are more likely to check them out in person. Some of our local TV stations
    have a feature on the noon news with a VET & cats or dogs from local
    shelters.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think for sure that was true of a lot of people, but I hate to think that
    they ALL did.
    No, I doubt that the rest of the people who expressed an interest in Powder would be like that but it still seems unbelievable that they wouldn't be interested in any of the other cats. I agree about the idea for featuring more pets in the general media - luckily here in NZ one of our main news & media websites has a section dedicated to pets & animals, and has a regular column for pets looking for homes (in conjunction with the SPCA). I have seen some shelter websites who make videos of the pets for adoption in their shelters with someone providing a voiceover of the pet's history & personality. (Makes me cry watching them!)
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!