Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from my PT cat friends.

Under all circumstances- go for it. It is better someone like you adopts a poor free kitten (somebody for whom kitten is prio #1 and money prio #2) than somebody for whom the priorities are in a different order.
    As for the choice- maybe you should bring Bruce to look at the meezers . He certainly has to learn about them
    But that tuxie boy also breaks my heart.
    Overall I second your decision to take a boy. I hope Paizley will get motherly feelings when she meets him

Go for it. They are all cute. Damian seems to be needing a good home, indeed.

They're all so cute!

I think some cats get along and others don't, just like people. So you never know which ones will fit together. But if they can be seperated for the first week or so, go for it! You'll soon know if they love each other or not, and then you have the possibility to get another.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I would encourage you to adopt two kittens. It would be easier on your household. I say that sincerely. Kittens are VERY bratty. I think your adult cat would tire of a kitten very quickly- if it is like any of my 6 adult cats.

I adopted Tuck, a 2 month old tabby. Within a week, I went to the shelter to adopt another kitten- Ari. They are best friends, and the adult cats thanked me tremendously.

I would encourage you to solicit advice from people that have adopted a single kitten with an adult cat....I imagine you will find that they say 2 kittens would have been a better idea.

My kittens (well, they are 11 months old now) still prefer each other...but they do play with the other cats, too.

Just my .02, and not some ploy to get you to adopt more cats than you want.

Thanks for all the replies! It seems the cat section is so much more active than the dog section. I remember it being opposite when I first joined. Luckily I have both and can enjoy both areas.

Anyway, while I would love to bring home ALL of these darn kittens I can only afford to care for one more. Even though Paizly is just two years old I still think of her as a kitten. Is two too much of an adult?
    I know Bruce would not approve (even though he has nothing monetarily to do with it) of two more. And it is his house and he has to live with them so I have to consider his feelings. I just finally got him to agree to one more.

Here is my plan: I'll bring him home Saturday. He will go into the guest bedroom (poor Paizly will be booted out of "her" room) with the door closed for a few days. Then we will do the baby gate in the doorway while supervised for a few days. Depending on how that goes we will try the supervised open door. I'm hoping this will go well rather quickly because we are going on vacation the week of July 4th and I had planned on taking Paizly to my moms house. She doesn't have the room to keep Paizly and kitten separate AND away from her dogs. But we will just have to see how it works.

This morning while doing my stretches I kept asking Paizly if she wants a little brother. It's always during our one-on-one time in the mornings that I feel the strongest against getting a kitten. But then she starts play biting and rabbit kicking me and I quickly change my mind. I know she is NOT going to be happy at first. I just hope she can get along with him. I'm still so nervous about this whole thing.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I guess you can add me to the go for it people.. hehe..

I was looking the pics.. my oh my.. I´d take Countess, Duke and Zuni.. they are sooo cute!!

Damian is so cute too.. and Derek has some BIG eyes.. awww..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Cindy, No 2 years old isn't old at all. Paizly still has a lot of kitten in her. My Pearl is 5 and Ziggy will soon be 4 and they still love to play like kittens. Even Sky who is now 8 will also join in on the fun and my RB Sunny was an eternal kitten who always enjoyed a good play session. Now Storm is lucky that he can just relax and sleep in another room while all of this rough housing is going on but sometimes even he'll join in on the fun.

If Paizly was over 10 years old and has been an only cat for many years then I'd be more concerned that things might not work out but I don't see you having any problems. Every time I adopted a kitten, I didn't even separate any one because at the time I had a roommate so I didn't have a spare bedroom. Yes, there was some hissing and growling but in about 2-3 days everyone calmed down and they all got along. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    If Paizly was over 10 years old and has been an only cat for many years then I'd be more concerned that things might not work out but I don't see you having any problems. Every time I adopted a kitten, I didn't even separate any one because at the time I had a roommate so I didn't have a spare bedroom. Yes, there was some hissing and growling but in about 2-3 days everyone calmed down and they all got along. Good luck.
    Thanks Tracey, see Taz was 13 when I brought Paizly home. He tolerated her. I did catch him playing with her a couple of times. But I think he was already sick by then so he just wasn't really up for it.
    This does make me feel better though. I just want everyone to be happy in my house.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I think a young adult will tolerate a kitten; just go slow with the introductions. I introduced a kitten into a houseful earlier this year, and other than the occasional hissing match all went well.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

It just takes time, patience, and a lot of aspirin (for you, not them)

I never thought Winnie and Chester would get along. But this morning, they were taking turns chasing each other through the house. Then I got proof that they are getting friendlier. Chester is 10 and Winnie about 2 now.

See: (Chester is the black blob on the chair back)
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Milly agrees with Buddy! Siamese cats are great cats!

They are great lap cats and they love to be near their people.
    So many of my friends and relatives who have met Milly & Izzy just love them and the way they are so friendly with everyone they meet.
    I think you should take Bruce to meet the Siamese kittens and see if they can win him over with their charm.
    If he really doesn't want a Siamese, I say go for one of the cute Tuxy boys then.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Oh my gosh! I just stopped by to take a peak at the babies and they are soo teeny! There are four siblings, their names are Cheryl, Lacey, Damian and Derek. They always name the animals with themes. Can anyone guess this theme? I didn't even realize it until I came home and was telling Bruce about how they were playing.

So when I first got there Lacey and Derek were running around playing while Cheryl was sleeping on a shelf of the cat tree. I didn't even see Damian at first. He was sleeping inside a box that has kitty shaped cut-outs in it.
    I really loved Cheryl's markings on her face, but I am dead set on a boy. So I think I'm leaning toward Derek. I didn't get to see Damian in action because he was sleeping. Also, I didn't see the Siamese bunch or the tuxie bunch. I am trying to get Bruce to go with me tomorrow night to see them anyway (I want him to see the Meezers).

The manager of the boutique (where I volunteer) was not around, otherwise she would have found someone to let me in to physically visit with them. Maybe tomorrow I can. I will also see if I can get my name on the adoption list (Shoot, why didn't I do that today? Just thought of it, darn!)

Oh, so while I was watching them, Derek pounced on the sleeping Cheryl. He chewed on her neck for a sec then licked her head a couple times and left. Then he came back and pounced on her again. She hissed at him and he was on top of her the opposite direction and he was attacking her tail. Finally she let out a LOUD meow (I heard it through the glass) so he left her alone and she curled up and quickly went back to sleep.

I can't get over how tiny they are. I don't even remember Paizly being that small when I first saw her. But I think she is in that first picture Cathy posted here.

Ok, I'll shut up now and update either tomorrow (if we go) or Saturday evening.

Oh! I know the theme! This is my favorite show on television! How cute!!!! Are these kitties graceful by any chance?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

No, I don't know the theme but I can see why you're leaning towards Derek. He's the cute brown tabby and probably reminds you of Taz as a kitten. Hopefully you can get Bruce to go with you tomorrow so he can meet some meezer kittens and some of the others. What would you do if he wanted 3 of them? Good luck.

yay!!.. can´t wait to see pics..

off topic.. seeing again the male kitties I saw one named Ziggy Stardust.. haha.. he´s a senior but the name catched my attention..

Duke stole my heart.. he´s so cute!!..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365