Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The WEstminster Dog Show is coming!

I saw this on Yahoo...

Westminster Dog Show 2010: Why it's better than Winter Olympics
    By Peter Grier
    Mon Feb 15, 3:26 pm ET

Washington – The Westminster Dog Show is on TV tonight. So is the Winter Olympics. Which are you going to watch?

On the one hand, NBC in prime time will be showing pairs figure skating and snowboards. On the other, Westminster will have the hound, toy, non-sporting, and herding groups, starting on the cable USA Network (owned by NBC Universal), then shuffling over to CNBC later in the evening.

The human-based competition will probably win this ratings smackdown. After all, it’s got glamorous athletes cavorting on snow and ice. Westminster? A bunch of people in tweed walking their dogs indoors.

That’s the conventional wisdom, anyway. But for a significant minority of American households, salukis are a bigger draw than skaters.

Here are some of their reasons why:

• Dogs are cuter than Lindsey Vonn. That flowing hair! Those gleaming teeth! There’s nothing like an Irish setter bounding around the ring.

US skier Lindsey Vonn is very attractive. But walk a long-haired dachshund down the street, and people will spontaneously coo, “Awww, she’s so cute! Look at the hair in her ears! Who’s a good dog? Yes you are! You’re such a good dog!”

• Dogs are happier than Scott Hamilton. Dogs live for the moment. The tension of competition does not furrow their brow. This is how dogs emote: “Time for a walk? My favorite thing! A judge? My favorite thing! Did I lose? Still my favorite thing!”

As the great American humorist and dog observer James Thurber wrote, “Dogs are obsessed with being happy.”

Figure skating analyst Scott Hamilton – a former gold medal winner himself – is pretty upbeat. But he’s not spreading joy around as surely as if he were tossing out gold coins.

• New breeds are better than new events. The Olympics has added several new events this year, such as snowboard cross, a type of race that is generally described as winter-sports-meets-NASCAR.

But Westminster has added three new breeds. New competitions? That’s for amateurs. The folks at the Westminster Kennel Club have got whole new categories of competitors. There’s the Norwegian Buhund, which looks like an albino mini-sled dog; the Pyrenean Shepherd, which looks like a cross between a collie and a teddy bear; and the Irish Red and White Setter, which looks like you would expect.

[Editor's note: The original version of this story misidentified the Irish Red and White Setter.]

• Beagles. Beagles make everything better. They swagger around the dog show ring with a merry attitude, as if they just successfully stole the poodle’s food. They don’t usually do well at big shows, because judges prefer breeds whose hair can be styled. But Uno the beagle won Westminster in 2008, and he remains the most popular champion in the show’s history.

This year, the favorite is Sadie, a four-year-old Scottish terrier. Tune in Tuesday for the dramatic best-in-show ending, and see if she wins.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sadie won!!

I would have been happy with any of them. That Doberman was drop-dead-gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post

Westminster Dog Show 2010:

This year, the favorite is Sadie, a four-year-old Scottish terrier.
    And the WINNER is >>>>

Sadie, the Scottish Terrier!!

We had a humane society fundraiser at a local bar tonight for Westminster. People bought dog collars and we called the name on the tag for auction and raffle winners. Hilarious, announcing that "Fifi" won a prize, and a big biker guy comes up. We made a lot of money for the shelter and had a lot of fun.

However ... personally, I was BUMMED that the whippet didn't win!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Gosh, that last round, I found myself routing for -- ALL OF THEM! What spectacular dogs.

Sadie has been at Westminster 3 or 4 times (I forgot already), and this year she wins the triple crown: National on Thanksgiving, AKC in December in Long Beach, and now Westminster. WOW

And the top 1, 2 and 3 dogs were in that final round?!

Sadie was the one they said knows the words "hot dog" and "treat" in 5 languages. LOL

Great dogs. So many I loved, so few I didn't. That little sheltie female in the group stole my heart.

No surprise for a terrier to take the show.

What an upset the whippet didn't win though. I think this was a great show for all of the hounds. Its the first time ever that I sat through a group and didn't find a single fault in any of the dogs. Every hound was the most impressive dog in the world for its brief moment in the spotlight.
    Last edited by IRescue452; 02-17-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Gosh, that last round, I found myself routing for -- ALL OF THEM! What spectacular dogs.
    Me too! I wanted the judge to award 7 BIS's!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I just love how they KNOW they've won!! They get so excited!!!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner