Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your dog sleep in your bed?

Both Frankie and Riley were crated until they were about a year old. Riley sleeps in her own room and typically in her crate or on her pillow. Frankie has her own couch/chair that she sleeps on unless I invite her onto my bed. However, when I'm gone she likes to lay on my bed and stare out the window, so I still have to deal with dog hair on my bed.

I love my dogs to pieces, but choose not to share my bed with them. They each have their own beds, which are placed in our bedroom, next to our bed. This arrangement gives everyone the necessary privacy & space while remain close to each other . Our dogs know the bed is off-limit. They have free access to the couch, though.

Thanks ~Jessie~

Logan will lay with me if I'm napping, or sleep on the big bed if I'm not home or not looking. At night, she has a nice cozy bed on the floor by my side. Actually, the minute she sees my keys, she runs to the landing, looks back at me and runs off to the big bed, as if I don't know where she's going!

I've been Boooo'd!

yes..not everyday though, and never both of them.. Belive me..i've tried that, a 150lb great dane and a fat coonhound on one bed dosent leave much room for me lmao

I forgot to mention - as soon as DBF leaves in the morning Jasper asks to come up, so we usually get an hour or so in the mornings.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

6. Nope,, my dog sleeps in his crate at night... an during the day he sleeps
    in a dog bed on top of a microwave that doesnt work anymore,, thats not
    even an arms length away from me while im at my computer

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    If my dogs slept on my bed, I would have to sleep on the couch!!! They have their very own special Beds!
    I can't imagine trying to sleep with mine- I did (use to) with hottie when I was single. I had a king size bed- hottie was the king.. lol..
    I crate puppies in our room. Teaches the crate, and keeping out of trouble in the night. After about 6 months old, they are loose in room but I have a gate up to keep them in there.
    The only dog I had that slept with us for the life time of the dog was my little Affenpincher Crikket. ...

In winter yes, keeps both them and me warm. It is a pretty hot night here tonight so they will most likely sleep in the back sunroom, and puppy will sleep in his crate in my room or if it is too hot in his crate he will end up in bed with me.

Clover is the only dog i have had dominane issue with re: the 'big bed' and for quite some time she was not allowed to hop on whenever she felt like it... we worked on it and she knows i am boss again and will wait to be invited up and will get down when told .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

My first puppy was allowed to sleep with me the first night home. After I washed all the bedding, I gave him his own box next to the bed. I could drape my arm over the side to comfort him until he got used to being alone. A crate would have been the way to go, but I wasn't smart enough all those years ago.

Now I sleep with Samson. He's 14+ and is having some mental issues, so I need to keep him close, leashed to the bed frame. Occasionally, he will get aggressive toward Scruffy because he thinks he's in charge of the bed. So Scruffy sleeps on his own bed next to mine. Mac the cat shares my half of the bed.

Bella Mae doesn't like to get on the furniture unless asked so she sleeps in her own bed.

Ideally, I'd like all of the dogs to use their own beds. But I have to admit I like Samson's warmth these cold nights

When it was just Kia and I, I would invite her up onto the bed but she would only stay up for a few minutes. She preferred the floor or her own bed.

The important thing is, she had to wait to be invited up.

For the first couple of weeks, Chipper slept in his own bed, then during the night he started to sneak up into bed with my husband and I. Sometimes Kia would join us too, but again, she doesn't stay long.

As young as your puppy is, I would start by crate training as it has already been mentioned, they can't hold it for very long during the night and it would help avoid accidents.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Kersey= yes every night (she rolls up into the tiniest 80 pound ball you've ever seen)

Boone= no, he gets too hot. He'll get up in bed with us, but then jumps down after 15 or so minutes panting. He prefers the rug next to my bed, or sometimes the cold hardwood floors.

Buddy only comes up on the bed when my Hubby is not in the bed, (Unless there is a thunderstorm then we have a 90 pound trembeling Buddy in the bed with us )
    Sierra... shes a velcro dog so if I'm in bed... she's in the bed too.

I crated them in another bedroom when they each came to live with us until they were housebroken, then they were gated in our bedroom at night, then they had free roam of the house once I knew I could trust them.
    I would not leave a tiny pup loose in my bedroom.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

No for the bed on my end too. We have cats that sleep in the bed, and they're a big enough pain sleeping on your face or something...lol. Plus I would like to own "something" in the house. They both sleep in their crate which I like cause I always know where they are at night. I don't think they mind. They have toys in there, and they get treats at bed time.
    TFT ftwtyvm!

I've Been DEfrosted.

Wow! Thanks so much for all of your replies!

I think having her in her crate next to my bed is how we're going go. It will make it easier to comfort her and hear her if she wakes up and has to go potty during the night.

I was so looking forward to a snuggly little warm body in the bed and puppy breath in my face all night though , lol
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

I guess I am the exception and probably what I do is not what some would consider wise but anyway..

I let both Tasha and Raven sleep with me their first nights home when they were babies. This is why. They just came from the humane society, before that they were taken from mom and siblings, taken to a strange place with scared and excited dogs and sounds and scary things, then taken to ANOTHER new place, with other new dogs in a house they've never seen. That first night home is one of great stress, both Tasha and Raven threw up their first nights home and had a bit of upset tummy. Then to get put in this strange cage (as they would see it), separated again in this strange new place for several hours seemed like a lot to ask. I wanted them to be gradually introduced to the crate, starting out only for a few minutes, being fed in there, getting treats in there, and gradually work up. Not take a scared puppy on their first night and lock them in for several hours, giving an immediate bad/lonely association with the crate.

Both of my babies were happy to curl up next to me warm and secure and slept through most of the night, I had to get up once for Tasha as she was only 8 weeks at the time, but Raven at 12 weeks went the whole night without incident her first night home. Also I wake as soon as I feel them stir, so I felt much more likely to get them outside for potty if they woke and had to go. I felt it started developing a trust and bond between us right away and I was able to introduce her to her crate in the way I wanted.

My dogs sleep with me since I am alone now, but they respect my space. If I say "move" they get up and move. If I say "go" or "off" they go or get off. I'm not saying it's bad or wrong to crate right away, just that it's not necessarily bad or wrong not to either

Anyway, that's my somewhat differing experience
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge