Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My mom wants a dog...ideas? (update: think she found one)

My mom's Wilbur is a miniature poodle mix...he does bark to alert when people come near the house and while him and Cupcake (My mom's cat) aren't exactly pals(More Cupcake's decision than his) he gets along with my sister's two cats beautifully.

Perhaps you could find a rescue or three near you that have websites and check them every few days for newcomers. Even if it's not a PUPPY puppy, maybe an older puppy (5-8 months) will suit. That way the potty training and some of the basics of manners are out of the way but there's still some growing up to do.

Edit: Craigslist can be a valuable resource too. A lot of rescues post there, and my sister in law found her puppy there from a woman who breeds English Shepherds but had a mismate between one of her bitches and the neighbor's Australian Cattle Dog. She wanted a high drive working dog and she found him!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

oops, that's what happens when you try and read at 8:45 am after staying up all night on your computer!

Niño & Eliza

A Beagle?

Did anyone mention a Beagle? They are good little watch dogs that don't shed too much. They are also more often than not friendly towards other pets in the house. Hector, my Beagle, was my very first dog of my own (though I had other dogs growing up, they just weren't primarily my responsibility like Hector is), and he worked out great for an amateur dog owner 'cause he is such easy maintenance. That was four years ago though and I consider myself a much more responsible and knowledgable dog owner know so I now can handle a breed like Shawnee (my German Shepherd/Border Collie mix) who needs more exercise, stimulation, and whatknot.

bump

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Oh my, he is HANDSOME! Let us know, I am glad she is adopting a shelter dog!

Name him...

Fightening White Lightning

Oh just look at that poor sad widdle face!
    That picture really looks like a mug shot!!

He's so handsome!
    What a DOLL!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Winston is so handsome! My nephew's late bunny was named Winston and he had a mess of nicknames ... Winstie, Winny, Win-Win. i hope they will be very happy together!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

boy is he cute!!... what a serious lovely expression he has...awwww....

one thing though Salukis are sight hounds... so theres prey drive.... just keep a look at it....

donñt mean to discourage he sure sounds pretty good and if he does do good with cats it should be fine... just though about letting you know.. although you might have already know that, but sometimes even the simpliest thing slip our minds when excited......
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir View Post
    (UPDATE)
    My mom is pretty sure she found the perfect pup. I'm surprised, as it's a 5 yr old saluki mix. I really thought she'd only want a puppy/poodle. He is such a sweety. Very laid back and calm, but also playful. He seemed ok with cats too. She's really excited and has him on hold until tomorrow...but she's pretty sure she wants him. I told her to think about it tonight and decide tomorrow for sure.

Here is his pic! He's got short hair...but you can really see the Saluki in his body esp. I'll keep you updated.

His "pound" name is Winston, but my mom wants to change it. He's a stray and doesn't know his name anyway. Any ideas? I was thinking something that would describe the breed or something that goes well with the breed might be nice...
    I think your mom made an excellent choice. #1 of course is going the adoption route, #2 in not getting a puppy (much less work). #3 in going for a slightly larger dog seeing as she had *protection* as a motivation. As for the shedding, well, that remains to be seen, but there is probably going to be some. Tell her everybody expects a house with a dog to be less than tidy.

I'm eager to see more pictures.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

He is absolutely adorable. I hope everything turns out well and she decides to bring him home, because I would Love to see more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Tell her everybody expects a house with a dog to be less than tidy.
    Hehe, it is my #1 excuse for having a messy house, I am glad I have dogs to blame.

Do they know for sure that he's a saluki mix? Honestly, from the picture, he looks straight up Lab/Grey. Lab/Greys are also more popular than the very rare Salukis. To be honest, I've seen more Borzois and Silken Windhounds than Salukis It may different up there if you've got a prolific breer, but I'd put my money on Lab/grey vs. saluki mix.

All that aside, CONGRATS to your mom!!! I, too, am very happy that she went the adoption route! I knew you could win her over

She's probably bringing him home saturday or monday. He seemed almost afraid of the cats so I'm not sure if that will change and he will try and hurt the cat? Is there signs to look out for or could he just decide to hurt her one day?

I didn't see any Saluki in him either at first, but once he was outside walking around, at a certain angle he really did look like a saluki. Then again, I'm no expert on the breed so I couldn't say for certain. I'll take pics of him whens he gets him.

He needs a name, though

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Lukis!

An almost anagram of Saluki!

Or Gandalf the White!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir View Post
    He needs a name, though
    Sorry I can't come up with a Saluki connected name. As I look into his beautiful eyes, I keep coming up with *Travis*.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France