Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disecting cats in Biology class.

I could not disect a cat. No way. However, I could not disect a pig, either.

When I took high school biology, we disected frogs. They were already dead, and in formaldahyde. Actually, they were just like stiff rubber toys. While I certainly did not enjoy it, it was possible to get through it.

Then, the next year, I took advanced biology. We had to disect live frogs. Our teacher basically scrambled their brains while they were alive, so they were breathing but not moving. He described what he, and we, were going to do, and I got up and left the room. He came out in the hall and asked me what, exactly, I thought I was doing. I said there was no way on earth I was doing or watching that. He said I would get an F on the assignment and a truant for the class period. I said that was fine with me. He just stared at me ... I had an A+ in the class ... and said, "Oh. Ok." He did not, after all, give me a back grade or a truant, and several other people left the classroom after I did.

I understand that some animal research is necesary. And while I do not want to hear about or participate in it, I know it is sometimes necesary. However, I also know from attending a university where a lot of animal research goes on, that a LOT of it is NOT necesary or productive in the least. Animal suffer horribly for, frankly, completely absurd reasons. I do not think this should be allowed.

As far as it being a cat, honestly, I have to say ... what's the difference? Is a cat's life more important than a pig's? Or a frog's? All animals feel pain and fear. I don't think it's right to torture ANY animal.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the cats are already dead. It's not like the dead cats care what happens to their bodies.

Niņo & Eliza

Twisterdog, THANK YOU! I totally agree.

Suki, how do we know that the cats did not die JUST for the classes?

And I sure as heck dont want to be disected when I die.

I dont want to have an autopsy or even prepped for burial. I think it is morally wrong for ANY animal to be disected in a classroom in highschool.

Whats to say it wont make mean kids decide to try it on ANY pet they find wandering? Bet Dahmer would have LOVED this course That is RIGHT up his alley

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I know that disecting animals is part of your school life- I would never have survived that. Here it is not done at all- only at university when you study biology or medicine. I was happy to learn about anatomy from drawings and hope that will be it for the rest of my life.
    I cannot even disect a dead chicken for dinner and am close to fainting when I cut my finger but if I had to face a mammal I would have just died.

Well, I do. When I die, I want every salvageable organ and tissue to be used to save other people's lives that are dieing if they don't get X organ transplant.

About the cats, if there was a sure-fire way to prove they didn't die just to be dissected then I would be all for it. If the school board made sure somehow that the cats either died of natural causes or were euthenized at a shelter after they would have been anyway then I'd be happy. The average city shelter euthenizes 5-10 healthy cats a day because they just don't have room for them all. If they had to go to die at least their bodies could go to good use.

I don't know if the cats care what happens to them, because no one can ever prove or disprove in life after death, but I believe there is nothing after death, which is why I want my body to go to helping other people live after I am gone.

Niņo & Eliza

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy View Post

I don't know if the cats care what happens to them, because no one can ever prove or disprove in life after death, but I believe there is nothing after death,
    I imagine that statement will evoke numerous opinions here. Maybe somebody should start a new thread on this one, but it won't be me, since I refuse to debate politics or religion on PT! It makes interesting reading tho...........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It kind of is related to this though. How can the cats care what happens to their bodies if their thoughts cease to exist after they are dead?

Conversely, someone could say the cats' thoughts and souls still live on after their body dies and so they would be upset that their bodies were cut up. I know that people used to believe that their bodies needed to be intact for them to go to heaven so they went to great lengths to make sure they weren't stolen by grave robbers when they died. Same as this current situation has with cats, there was an upswing in people killing healthy people in order to fill the schools' needs for cadavers.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
    I can understand dissecting cats in college courses, but don't really understand why so many high schools do it. I do wonder where they get them from though.
    That is a very good point, I meant to mention that in my earlier post. Dissecting ANYTHING in high school is generally a complete waste. Who needs that information ... a doctor, vet or biologist. How many high school kids grow up to be those things? And if they do, they will get plenty of it in college and post-graduate work.

And an interesting point was made about the source of the cats ... if they were euthanized at an animal control facility earlier anyway, then that is a far different thing then raising and killing cats specifically for dissection or experimentation.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I wouldn't do the cats in high school. I cried after seeing them because they reminded me of my own cat. I believe most cats are killed for the purpose of dissection, but slowly slowly slowly places that do dissections are starting to get animals from shelters and vets (yes your own pets could end up on the dissection table after euthanasia at the vet if you don't ask where they are going). I read somewhere that some places catch cats off the streets in Mexico and use them, but who knows. Imagine if you recognized the cat on the table and you were in high school. I volunteered at the animal shelter and my biggest fear was seeing one of the cats from the shelter in science class all cut up.

I did the frog though and I use the info as I've done necropsies on my own rodents when they die of unknown causes. But in all reality, most of what I learned about what the insides of a healthy mouse should look like and how to navigate their organs by looking at pictures, not by a classroom dissection.

I would never ever do vivisection (dissecting a live animal), unless you were actually doing a surgery. There's no point in keeping the animal alive while you cut it up just so you can kill it when you're done.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

My school did get the cats from the local Humane Society after they had been PTS. I saw them do the drop-off once. At least those cats went on to educate someone when they couldn't find loving homes.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Getting them locally is not a good move in my opinion. They should go to a different county humane society. Can you imagine if some high school student had to give up their cat because their parents for some reason made them (someone in the house is allergic or so on) and then the cat showed up in a bag of formeldahyde on their science desk?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

IMO, if the cats were PTS humanely or died of natural causes I see nothing wrong with it. I don't think that's right for high school though. I think college/university is more fit for something like this.

I dissected a rat in 10th grade. I was ok with it then but I don't know about now.

My high school required Biology classes. I loved the science of it, but
    the lab excerise was awful. I quickly found a good lab partner who did
    all the cutting while I took notes. We only had to do worms & frogs.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

When I did Bio our teacher told us where the animals came from. He is an animal lover & only gets them from a trusted source. The pigs came from adult pigs that went to slaughtor & ended up being pregnant. So the baby pigs were sold to the company. The frogs came from research labs, same with the rats. The cats came from the same company who got them from different animal shelters. They were cats that were destroyed & instead of going to the landfill to rot.

No the shelters were not getting $ for this. The cats were all donated in order to prevent any issues.. BUT the schools bought the cats from the company.

There was info on the company if we wanted to read more up on it to insure the school wasn't buying animals to be killed for class, etc...

I quite injoyed the class & so did everyone else.

In high school, I remember using the frogs and earthworms and fetal pigs. In middle school we did adult pig's hearts because they are the closest thing to human hearts.
    Friend to Kia, Chipper, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Harley, Baby Crested, Mei, Esme, Jasper and Lucy Inara, along with the hermit crabs.