Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cool Borzoi Photo Of The Week new post 54

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    What a beautiful picture. It looks like it could have been taken near where you live as the area seems to be as beautiful as shots from your area. I am learning a lot about this breed through you. I had no idea they were so large. I will be paying extra special attention to the Borzois at Westminster this year.
    Watch the replay of the Eukenuba that just showed. That male Borzoi is the other one I am watching for Galina.. ( drool.. drool..)

THE PHOTO has now changed-

and still just as cute!!!

Pam: "I am learning a lot about this breed through you. I will be paying extra special attention to the Borzoi at Westminster this year." (edits mine)

ME TOO on both points! Borzoimom, do Borzoi dogs ever require trimming of their coats? How do you take care of the coat after they play outdoors? I'm thinking about the story of Femka and the bear and I'm afraid to think about what Femka looked like afterward Does their coat get tangled when they run, do they pick up brambles in their coat? Do they like to be combed or brushed?

When I looked at the Borzoi picture for the week, it was a black and white dog wearing a Santa hat. Sweet! I agree with danegirl2208, they are very elegant. I can see why the Russian Czars wanted such gracious dogs in their palaces. Hurry up, Westminster! I want to see another Borzoi!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Pam: "I am learning a lot about this breed through you. I will be paying extra special attention to the Borzoi at Westminster this year." (edits mine)

ME TOO on both points! Borzoimom, do Borzoi dogs ever require trimming of their coats? How do you take care of the coat after they play outdoors? I'm thinking about the story of Femka and the bear and I'm afraid to think about what Femka looked like afterward Does their coat get tangled when they run, do they pick up brambles in their coat? Do they like to be combed or brushed?

When I looked at the Borzoi picture for the week, it was a black and white dog wearing a Santa hat. Sweet! I agree with danegirl2208, they are very elegant. I can see why the Russian Czars wanted such gracious dogs in their palaces. Hurry up, Westminster! I want to see another Borzoi!
    The borzoi coat is easy to take care of. I run a pin brush through daily for all, but mostly for Hottie. The coat does not tangle- it falls flat but it does need a brush at the skirt and mane. I do mine after breakfast. The coat has no undercoat so it stays clean most of the time. I use a sprayer, wet the dog, wash then in the rinse, I take a pin brush to not only clean the coat, but get it going in the right direction. They do not even need to be blown dry. Hottie has a full mature coat, and he likes the dryer- but the others are no thanks- throw a towel on me to dry.. The only trimming is on the bottom of the pads. That coat will grow there, and they can slip on floors or steps. I do that about once a month. Any breeder can show you how. For show- they are also a wash and wear breed. The only thing I do is the side whiskers but only if a different color. Zubin has two long whiskers that are black against a white muzzle. Judges frown on trimming to look tucked up' so to speak - people do it, but people with real dogs do not.. lol.. If they spend alot of time outside ( mine do not) they will get a heavy mane, and this will even start at the back skull- with a show dog, if this is the case, they will trim the edge of the back skull with thinning sheers- .. I never had to do, but saw others do it.
    They are a hearty healthy breed. Not popular because they do NOT get along well with cats and small dogs. Hottie was raised by a papillion, but I never let them out together both loose- Hottie was leashed. They will chase anything- even a bag or a bee- get stung- do it again..
    They have no body fat- so a young child that falls on them- that hurts like you hitting your " funny bone"- it goes straight to the nerves. As far as protection- Borzois do NOT bark- .. Time after time I open the door for a delivery person, and if a different UPS person they are always shocked when I open the door and here are standing 4 VERY LARGE dogs. They always say the same thing- " I have no idea you had dogs"... Barking is usually out of frustration- like the video with hottie after the tv set on that dog show.. You will notice the posture is quiet though- a slow tail wag. Hotties voice is getting weak- but zubin will rumble the floor!
    I have had a problem with Hottie protecting my van. He will bark if someone gets too close. Not sure if because he is in a enclosed place- or I am not there- or someone has tried to open the door.
    They will not fawn over guests- flat out ignoring some people like " do not touch me and mess up my fur". Zubin and Galina are more open, but I swear Femka will look right through someone she doesnt like. They love head scratches ( especially the ears and top of the head), loved ( !!!) to be brushed, and believe they are royal. ( no kidding!) I have one friend that she has a loud laugh, and all 4 will leave the room rolling their eyes... lol
    Borzois are hard to train. They are more like people than dogs. If done with praise ( but not over done on the owners part) they will comply with anything. You do have to remember that this is an independant minded dog. Obedience is done out of respect. Bred to work in a pack, if they feel they are part of your pack, they are a great working partner. Borzois do not like to sit- its the hardest to teach. To them its a stupid thing to do- I am neither up or down, but still have to get back up- and " don't I look better in a pose". They are total hams- believe we wait for them and WE are amazed how glamorious they are.
    If you want a dog that will act happy when you come home, wagging tails, prancing feet and excited about any person- A BORZOI IS NOT FOR YOU. If you want a dignified gentlemen ( male or female) one that knows only you know how to pet them right - one that only bark if nothing else has worked- can brush the dog on the mane and skirt daily, - if you are perfectly happy with a night on the couch, or a two mile walk- no difference to you- than a borzoi is. Borzois are not as aloolf or creative in antics as a Afghan Hound. They are more willing to be admired. And NOTHING is stronger than a Borzoi ego!

BTW cassiesmom- Femka didnt have a scratch. I saw blood, scared me to death, but it was the bears.. lol. Hydrogen peroxide took it out. There isnt any undercoat to mat. They also do not like getting their feet dirty- but warning- they love snow!! I have stated this before, but when it snows, I have to put collars on them to make them come in!
    I like the fact they are not tail waggers. At their size they could clear any table if they did. They are very aware of their size, and its a good thing they are not fawners or a goldens mentality at a borzoi size! Males are easily a 100 pounds- females top 80's but usually 90. I prefer the males. I love the longer coats.
    Also- most borzoi people feed raw. I have found now by using Bil Jac mixed with solid gold it does work. But be prepapred.. lol.. Trying to get one is worse than adopting a child. Waiting lists are common- and I waited 7 years for Zubin and I had a previous background in showing dogs etc. The litters are small for the size of a dog- usually 6 pups- and the bitches do not come in but every 18 months to 2 years is normal. It also takes them a long time to grow that coat. They grow like a weed the first year, then start filling out and finally about 14 months the coat starts coming in. Zubin and galina are just now putting theirs on. And its coming in fast and furious. Seldom do you get alot of hair from a young borzoi, but even hottie only fills a pin brush- and considering the length and amount of coat, that is less than you would get on a shepherd.
    Obviously you can not let them run in a unfenced area they do not know. They can totally fly, and quickly out of ear shot. Hottie was whistle trained. ( that meant come) and traveled the field. As far as exercise- they really are couch pototoes- but do like a good walk. Until two months ago, I walked one mile down and one mile back. But they have quickly adjusted to just cruising the yard. They call them the seniors dogs because of their demeanor as being quiet and not hyper. They also will not jump on you. This is taught. And good luck! Hottie might with coaxing, and he is over my head- Galina will if you persist and keep getting her silly. Even then- the paws hit so light you barely know you have a dog on you. ( this is NOT a normal dog.. lol.. )

i love the picture thats up now.. lol "santa Zoi"..too cute

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Now that one today (with the Christmas hat) is just too darn cute. Awwwww!
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom

When I looked at the Borzoi picture for the week, it was a black and white dog wearing a Santa hat. Sweet! I agree with danegirl2208, they are very elegant. I can see why the Russian Czars wanted such gracious dogs in their palaces. Hurry up, MICHELLE! I want to see another Borzoi!
    And Borzoimom, I think that was a desprate plea for pictures.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

My group

All casual photos ( but saturday is coming with Santa Paws with all 4..)... Typical borzoi- sleeping..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	borzoi knitting.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	32304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 073.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	32305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sleeping diva.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	32306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	streatch.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	32307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two heads.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	32308  

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    All casual photos ( but saturday is coming with Santa Paws with all 4..)... Typical borzoi- sleeping..
    Borzoi Mom -- these are AWESOME! I like the middle one of the beautiful diva on the sofa -- the last one (on far right) is awesome! The four of them definitely have a loyal fan in Chicago! Please pat them all for me and tell them I enjoyed their pictures.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I sure will and all 4 graciously accepted your adoration.. lol.. ( typica borzois.. lol. )
    I am really forward to saturday pictures. My husband and step son are going to handle them, but I should be able to go- at least I hope so. It will be the first time of having all 4 as adults in a photo. I look so tired lately that the few I took of all 4 in a group with me holding the leashes- I just look pale. I am hoping this will solve the problem. I just hope hottie isnt rolling his eyes at 'Santa' like " who the heck is this??? ( I wonder if I can convince Hottie that Santa is 'grandpa" as my dad has a white beard too.. lol.. )
    I love Borzois. ITs the reason I bought a new huge van- thinking of course the whole time " oh goodie- now I can fit 6!!" lol..

That 1st one kills me! Zubin was soooooo tiny.....lolool.
    TFT ftwtyvm!

I've Been DEfrosted.

Quote Originally Posted by TFTpwnsYou
    That 1st one kills me! Zubin was soooooo tiny.....lolool.
    Yea- that is basically the last picture taken of him being even close to Galina in size. He towers her now- and larger than Hottie. Hottie says it doesnt matter Zubin is bigger than he is- his brain still has not grown.. hahaha! ( now now Hottie- be nice..)

Michelle what great photos!! Your crew is just beautiful!!

Another new photo

.. I think this one was looking for the teddy bear, and not the candy .. lol..