Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Disabled person in Wal-Mart thrown out!

Inquiring minds want to know: These things aren't always what they seem to be.

It seems strange that not once in the narrative does the writer state that the dog was clearly identified as a service dog.

If the dog wasn't causing a disruption or posing a threat, once the dog had been absolutely identified as a service dog the customer service manager should have shut her mouth and moved on.

However if the owner couldn't or wouldn't produce any verification the manager was well within her rights.

Without proof in some form of documentation or obvious equipment, anyone could take a dog into a store and claim it's a service dog. How would a store manager be expected to know the difference?
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Actually applesmom the woman need only have a tag, most but not all service dogs wear a vest and/or collar identifying them as such. It is not required, although it is encouraged.

The fact is, if you have a Service animal, you are told of the rights and the responsibilities you have in using one. Including but not limited to the impact that the animal can or will make on its' surroundings.

Yes there are all types and breeds of Service dogs, and other other specie service animals. Typically primates but there are several certified service felines out there.

This sounds more as if the woman is trying to make a statement about the breed not the legality of allowing it or disallowing it in the store.

As stated before, Wal-mart can certainly use some sensitivity training in customer approach in this scenario. However, they were within their legal rights, the transaction was completed, and for the comfort of other patrons, and/ or the Manager himself was asked to remove the animal.

If this Service animal user wants to have her dog as an ambassador for her breed, I suggest rather than cause a stir in this manner , she show up for the many fun group events, hosted to bring awareness of both the disabilities and the help the help that these animals provide.

Every chapter that places Service animals host them, they are usually but not always coupled with fundraisers to help offset the costs of raising training feeding vetting and placing these wonderful animals.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Dr.Goodnow- " This sounds more as if the woman is trying to make a statement about the breed not the legality of allowing it or disallowing it in the store.
    Sounded like it to me too...

Good information, thanks. I'm inclined to agree that she is more determined to make a statement about the breed than the legality of allowing a service dog in the store.

Her statement that the Service manager said she'd never seen a pit bull as a service dog led me to wonder if the owner simply expected her to take her word that the dog actually was a service dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Actually applesmom the woman need only have a tag, most but not all service dogs wear a vest and/or collar identifying them as such. It is not required, although it is encouraged.

The fact is, if you have a Service animal, you are told of the rights and the responsibilities you have in using one. Including but not limited to the impact that the animal can or will make on its' surroundings.

Yes there are all types and breeds of Service dogs, and other other specie service animals. Typically primates but there are several certified service felines out there.

This sounds more as if the woman is trying to make a statement about the breed not the legality of allowing it or disallowing it in the store.

As stated before, Wal-mart can certainly use some sensitivity training in customer approach in this scenario. However, they were within their legal rights, the transaction was completed, and for the comfort of other patrons, and/ or the Manager himself was asked to remove the animal.

If this Service animal user wants to have her dog as an ambassador for her breed, I suggest rather than cause a stir in this manner , she show up for the many fun group events, hosted to bring awareness of both the disabilities and the help the help that these animals provide.

Every chapter that places Service animals host them, they are usually but not always coupled with fundraisers to help offset the costs of raising training feeding vetting and placing these wonderful animals.

I have to agree with Catnapper.

I used to work in Walmarts photo center. they were wonderful. I got an hour for lunch which is much more than I can say for anywhere else I worked. At tim hortons I would work an 8 hour shift with only two fifteen minute breaks and if I wanted to eat I had to scarf down my lunch in fifteen minutes.

I never had a bad experience working for Walmart and I was sad when I had to quit because I was doing schooling fulltime and part time for a while. They ALWAYS backed up their employees if there was a customer complaint. I can't stand companies that get a complaint and blame the employee. it is fine to apologize for the mix up or the problem but I have heard companies throw employees under the bus and say "yeah this isn't the first complaint we have had about them" Whether it is true or not.... a manger or supervisor should NEVER say things like that about their employees to a customer.

I made more than minimum wage. and if they needed help in another department and you were willing to help they were more than willing to compensate you for your help.

I can't say I ever heard a complaint from anyone that worked there.

Dr Goodnow, that is a very interesting point. This story is quite one sided so who knows what really happened. perhaps there were complaints about the animal. Just because you are handicapped you don't get a pass to be disruptive (not saying this woman was but we don'tknow for sure that she wasn't either. Remeber this is HER account of the goings on)

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

There are at least three sides to every story! We need to keep in mind that so far we've only heard the dog owners side!

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    There are at least three sides to every story! We need to keep in mind that so far we've only heard the dog owners side!
    Yep her side Walmarts side and the truth!

That absolutely Terrible! Who cares what breed the dog is, its helping the person out with their disability, not killing the person! Gosh, some people in this world.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Kay, in all honesty, have you worked there? Is this your personal experience? I know a ton of people - my father included - who work for WalMart and love it. They are treated well. My dad LOVES his job and thinks its the best place he's ever worked. He's worked for Frtune 500 companies in high-powered positions, and he loves WalMart's garden Center best. So until you have a personal experience with WalMart, don't spread the nastiness about how they treat employees poorply.

Personally, from family members who work(ed) for Target, THEY treat employees badly. One family member's boss raped her in the store room and threatened her job if she said no. She's now pregnant with his child. Oh yes, Target's SO much better than WalMart. See... I can take one incident and say its the COMPANY thats bad when its merely poor management.

Now, sorry for the side track......
    That poor customer -- what a shame she was treated that way. Ignorance can not and should not be a reason to disallow any service animal into a store.

I do not believe I was spreading any "nastiness" but I appreciate you taking it as that. I merely said one statement from which I've learned to be true through family members and friends, as you have done yourself in many more statements. That's great your father has had good experiences with Wal-Mart, that's unfortunate your family member had a bad experience with Target.

Chain stores, usually being individually owned, will most likely be different.
    My store, we would be so excited seeing a service dog, especially a Pit Bull. However, there may be many stores that would frown upon a service dog of any type.

I was not comparing Wal Mart and Target as to how they treat their employees - I was using the fact that they have a Bully breed as their advertisement. Hence the reason I posted a photo of that particular dog after that statement.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    Inquiring minds want to know: These things aren't always what they seem to be.

It seems strange that not once in the narrative does the writer state that the dog was clearly identified as a service dog.

Without proof in some form of documentation or obvious equipment, anyone could take a dog into a store and claim it's a service dog. How would a store manager be expected to know the difference?
    Agreed. Service dogs that I have observed all wear vests. If there was no identification I would agree that the store manager would have the right to ask for the dog to be removed.

The only thing that came to my mind was that I wondered if this pitt bull was in a city where they are banned? Then the store manager would have been within her rights.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    The only thing that came to my mind was that I wondered if this pitt bull was in a city where they are banned? Then the store manager would have been within her rights.
    I doubt someone would have a pittie as their service dog in a city where they are banned...seems pretty unlikely.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Even if the breed is banned in a city or a county, if the animal is a CERTIFIED service animal, the Federal Act takes precedence. Federal law supercedes all state and county and town laws Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Goodnow
    Even if the breed is banned in a city or a county, if the animal is a CERTIFIED service animal, the Federal Act takes precedence. Federal law supercedes all state and county and town laws Period.
    Hmm I've always wondered about that. Thanks for letting us know!
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Your welcome.

Now that I have given you that info do I get rewarded with Maggie pics??

See I am shameless, I will beg for maggie pics on any thread

Kym