Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! if it wasn't for my kid..........

ok posting for my foster boyz..................

Dalton says:
    he says it is severely wrong.ppl should enjoy the real life issues and that his foster mom keeps benadryl............................. (Dalton 14)

Brandon says: says people with allergies should just give up cats.............. no need to genetic alter...(typing as is spoken not for Kudos)
    He says no reason with so many in shelters buy some meds.

Adrian says: he is still thinking
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    I'd still like to know who conducted the study, and how long they've been researching the effects of removing a protein from a cat's system. I only see kittens on the site.
    The lack of the protein that causes the allergies is naturally occurring. Their web site explains that once they detected the variation, they bred cats for that variation.

ALLERCA'S success in discovering the first hypoallergenic cats started with its proprietary diagnostic technology that detected minute specific variations in the feline D1 gene, responsible for producing the protein that causes humans to react. ALLERCA detected genetic divergences in the "code" of the Fel D1 gene sequence and selectively bred these genetically divergent (GD) cats. By testing for the presence of this divergent "code" in the offspring, ALLERCA produced the world's first scientifically proven hypoallergenic cats.

In other words, it's not like they spliced tomato genes onto cat genes and said "Eureka! No more sneezing!"

This is no different than any other breeding program for animals where sought-after characteristics are achieved, like pointy ears or long snouts or pretty coat patterns.

Do you object to pure-bred cats? Race Horses? Cows? We've been doing this for centuries.

Of course, I too, think about the cats in the rescue centers waiting for homes. That is what is important.

I just wanted to add some perspective to the issue.

By the way, I'm highly allergic to cats and I'm on my fourth treatment of shots. I'm sniffling right now because Abby was in my lap. But I wouldn't give her up for anything.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good