Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What mysteries of life intrigue you? Game

I dont' really have the answer to the ice cream question,but my research tells me people who suffer from migraines are more inclined to get ice cream headaches.

Now i have often wondered how swear words became swear words,who started them,and why did they become offensive etc etc? i know an weird question, but it has often crossed my mind lol.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post

Now i have often wondered how swear words became swear words,who started them,and why did they become offensive etc etc? i know an weird question, but it has often crossed my mind lol.
    Curse words are as old as language itself. There are many stories as to the origin of words we concider impolite today, a lot of them steming from old germanic languages. Some can be even traced to acient Greek.

I think some curse words can be traced all the way back to the origin of man lol.

Ive always wondered why are things you drive on called Parkways and things you park in are called driveways?

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Question: Why do you sometimes get a sharp pain behind your eye or in your temple when you eat something really cold like ice cream? And why doesn't it happen every time?
    Ooh, I know that one! It has to do with the nerves on the roof of your mouth, and how they are connected with your sinus cavity - it tends to happen if you let the "too cold" stuff press against the roof of your mouth or not - that's why it varies. So if you take small sips or bites, it's less likely to happen. When it does, press your tongue - which is naturally warm, and lots of blood flowing through it - against the roof of your mouth to warm it back up, and the pain should diminish.

And "parkways" were named for the parks through which they go, they're supposed to be scenic, even though in many places the parks have then been built over, and it's a regular highway now. Hammond Pond Parkway, not far from here, goes through some lovely forested conservation land on my end but the other end is all buildings!

1. Why do most people seem to lose their sense of wonder as they mature?

And, as I answered 2,

2. Why the heck to spammers think I want a list of doctors, or dentists, or lawyers?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    "Why do people think the the pouf hairstyle is attractive"?

Because on some people - it is. Some people with "flat" hair look horrible - I for one am one of them. I don't like really pouffy hair, or really "big hair", but a little fluff and bounce looks good on most people with short hair.

Catherinedana - you're in trouble now!!!

Question: Why do you sometimes get a sharp pain behind your eye or in your temple when you eat something really cold like ice cream? And why doesn't it happen every time?

I know Karen already answered this but I thought the reason was because of the vagus nerve and not the roof of your mouth...
    Pomtzu, guess you'll have to let us know who's rght on this one...no I don't want to get into trouble but I really do think it's the vagus nerve

Can anyone tell me why so many people never understand why we love our dogs so much and sometimes treat us like demented kids when we try to explain?
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

5. I used to think high heels were preferred cuz they look different then most other shoes. i however am a klutz so i steer clear of wearing them. but i wouldnt ware them even if i was more agile on my feet. i prefer to be comfortable

i have a similar question like what Pomtzu asked. why is that when i bite into something(generally something sour or sweet. but not always) it cause for a sharp pain in my jaw muscle every now an then?

I submitted the ice cream headache question to a Dr on the radio.

He also answered the Vagus nerve.

When I have been there and gambled too much my Vagus nerve hurt too..

The correct answer is the Vagus nerve but this nerve has many branches,
    The auricular branch of the vagus nerve is often termed the Alderman's nerve or Arnold's nerve. The name vagus means wandering from the latin. The auricular branch Traversing the substance of the temporal bone, it crosses the facial canal about 4 mm. above the stylomastoid foramen ( temporal bone), and here it gives off an ascending branch which joins the facial nerve.

Does wearing black make your butt look smaller? if so why,

Why does 7 of 9 wear high heel boots while Captain Janeway wears flats?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Asiel
    Can anyone tell me why so many people never understand why we love our dogs so much and sometimes treat us like demented kids when we try to explain?
    I have a Theory... I think that people who don't understand the love we have for our pets are people who have never bonded with anything or anybody in their life. This probably includes parents and siblings as well. This same person would deny you and your pets existence if you walked past them on the street. In fact they will will look the other way.

Why do your joint or muscle pains get worst when there is a weather change,
    or rainy.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Why does 7 of 9 wear high heel boots while Captain Janeway wears flats?
    7 of 9 is a Borg, she was built that way! Janeway, being human, has a choice, so flats it is!

Why is common courtesy uncommon, when everyone agrees it is a good thing?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen
    Why is common courtesy uncommon, when everyone agrees it is a good thing?
    Courtesy is taught or not taught by parents. In my generate which dates back
    before the "post war derelict darlings" arrived, courtesy, at least in the south, was taught by the parents. If the parent didn't correct for the problem the school or other parent stepped up. This was before you got arrested or sued for taking control of a derelict kid. Parents today are to busy with work or social life to be troubled with doing anything even socially with their offspring. Parents today depend on the computer, video game or mall to raise their kids. IMO

Why do they call the "funny Bone" the Funny Bone". It's not funny when you
    hit it
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

12. Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post

Why do they call the "funny Bone" the Funny Bone". It's not funny when you
    hit it
    I think thats exactly why. like a pun type of thing LOL

why do clouds an mountains look like theyre following you when you look at them when you drive/walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post

why do clouds an mountains look like theyre following you when you look at them when you drive/walk?

Because the mountains/clouds just keep on going and going....clouds are usually always there and mountains go for miles and miles and miles..and so I guess when you're driving and you look up or to the side it just looks as if they're following you cause the scenery kinda looks the same at all times...

Why do they drive on the wrong side of the road in Australia?
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Genny View Post

Why do they drive on the wrong side of the road in Australia?
    It's not the wrong side for them. They probably think "why do they drive on the wrong side of the road in the U.S.?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a "hearing"?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Vette
    I think thats exactly why. like a pun type of thing LOL
    You're right it is a pun, but not because of Funny to you or others.

The ulnar nerve at the distal end of the humerus near the elbow is sometimes referred to in popular culture as 'the funny bone'. When the ulnar nerve is pinch between the humerus bone and an object it has that shocking feeling.

This name is thought to be a pun, based on the sound resemblance between the words "humerus" and "humorous"
    Last edited by kokopup; 01-28-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    — Unknown