Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Japser UPDATE 10-17-2010 new photos

I'm sending all my best thoughts for Jasper- I hope it's just an arthritic thing- he IS senior after all.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Prayers for Jasper.

It is possible that it is an insect or spider bite? My brother had a cat that got bit by a spider and it caused a big, swollen lump that burst. The vet cleaned it. I don't even think antibiotics were needed.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Just for the heck of it, I looked up "raspberry shaped sores" and came up with this ten dollar word: Treponematosis

In rabbits, it's a venereal disease...but some of what I indicated that there are several different forms. There are kinds that are painless, non-lethal, but certainly troublesome.

Hope Jasper is better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My son was born w/a big raspberry mark right at the top of his head just below the hair line. The dr. said that as he grew older, it would disappear completely and it did. I wonder if it could be the same thing although Jasper hasn't had it from birth, has he?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I just used raspberry as a description of its size and color. It is as hard as bone, just like the sweling of the entire foot.

Thoughts and prayers going up for Jasper. Hope the vet can shed some light on the new lump and that it can be taken off or healed easily.

HUGS for you Jenn.

Jasper update.

The reason his foot has opened and started to bleed, is because the tumor has grown past the stretchability of the skin. There is no way to suture it closed because there is not enough skin.

Amputation if the entire leg would be the only action.

But since we are not sure that this tumor has not spread to other organs, we took a chest xray. There ARE suspicion areas aroung the lungs.

At his age, of 12 years (+2 months) we decided we would just wait a month or so to re-xray and see if these areas change/grow.

Yes, we could just amputate.
    Yes, we could go for an ultra-sound for better diagnosis.

But, we feel that (in this case) spending the extra money would not change the outcome we feel is innevitable.

IF, in 4-6 weeks, his xrays look good, we will do more thinking.

Having seen Rutherford's tumor spread to his lungs so fast, and hearing the vet's opinion of what she saw on the xray I fear Jasper will not be with us more than 6 months. (vet's prognosis)

Time will tell.

Just for interest's sake, we got a monetary estimate on the amputation .... and it is 100% do-able!! But no amount of money is worth watching him go through all that to then only live a short while.

We want that next xray to give us hope before we go on with removal of his leg.

In the meantime, we will wrap his foot to contain the bleeding.

Thanks for thinking about my sweet boy.

Gentle {{{hugs}}} for Jasper and his meowmie. I hope the next x-rays do show some hope. Meantime - I hope Jasper gets lots of extra spoiling and perhaps a fancy cover for his bandage.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you for taking such good care of Jasper. You're absolutely right to hesitate to put him through too much pain and difficulty without knowing for sure that it would solve the problem. {hug!}

Love, Columbine

I'm w/you, Jen. I would be reticent about amputation if Jasper has only a short time left. Poor boy, I wish the news were better for the sakes of both of you. We'll send up extra prayers that all will go well for him. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers for Jasper and all of you, Jen.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Prayers from RI.

Jen, I totally agree with what you're doing. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Jaspers way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Well I am now turning to Pet talk to help with Jasper's crucial decision.

To re-cap: The swelling in Jasper's foot has gotten to the point that there is an open lesion, and it oozes/bleeds.

As of this morning, his toes (which were not affected) also are swelling to the point that one wants to open up and ooze.

Wrapping his foot is an "ok" temporary solution, but I fear that I sometimes get it too tight, especially since the area seems to keep growing.

As the vet said to Charlie and me, you will probably reach a point where you are between "A rock and a hard place". I think I am there now.

The toe seems painful, a new symptom.

It has only been 1 week since the chest x-ray (the plan was to wait 4 weeks before re-x-raying.)

Here is where I need your opinion.

If Jasper was YOUR cat, would you amputate the leg even though he is 12 years old and possibly has cancer growing in other areas of his body? He might only have 6 months to live IF what the vet saw in the x-ray were cancerous.

Jen,

I'm so sorry to hear about Jasper. Given Jasper's age, I'd just make him as happy and comfortable as possible.

Like with Mollie Rose, I had to weigh the options and make a very difficult decision. She was 16 years old and was in the advanced stage of kidney disease. I asked, given the options, can he make my beautiful old lady healthy and he said no. Was Mollie Rose in pain? Yes. I had my answer.

I hope Jasper has many more years with you Jen. He's a very lucky cat!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!